Running 30 Cal through a 45 Caliber Can?

MSU Marksman

I'm curious how much potential suppression I'd be loosing running a 308 Winchester through a multi-caliber .458 diameter can? I see some of the multi-caliber cans have different end caps that you can order, but not all of them.

I've used a Hybrid 46 on everything from 204 Ruger to 450 Bushmaster. I got a couple of end caps but IMO doesn't make enough of a difference to bother switching out on a bolt action. If you're using an AR platform the port volume will negate any difference anyways.

I only have one can and it's the Hybrid 46m. Is it the best can…no. Is it nice to be able to shoot everything I own through it, yes. Running 300 BLK Out through it subsonic is still pretty dang quiet. Maybe not as quiet as a dedicated 30 cal can, but I don't think my ear could detect the difference.

More importantly the volume of the can is what makes it effective. A can designed for a 45 cal pistol won't be as effective as one designed for a 45-70. A 5.56 through a can designed for a 300 mag is more effective than my caliber specific can.