What “SHOULD” a good 30 cal suppressor cost?

I always wondered just how pricing was established. Design, materials, tooling, etc... thought they were a bit higher than they should be. I'm all for profit, just don't like the whole feeling of being taken advantage of. Anyone on here have any experience going the form 1 route? Advantages? Quality? I see some titanium solvent traps out there. Assuming ALL LEGAL steps are taken, could this be a good route?

I always wondered just how pricing was established. Design, materials, tooling, etc... thought they were a bit higher than they should be. I'm all for profit, just don't like the whole feeling of being taken advantage of. Anyone on here have any experience going the form 1 route? Advantages? Quality? I see some titanium solvent traps out there. Assuming ALL LEGAL steps are taken, could this be a good route?

It's doable, and even more so if you have good equipment but don't expect it to be tight. I wouldn't have a problem doing another for a 22 can or something but the runout on my drill press made my baffle holes not even close to acceptable for a precision rifle IMO.

I'm not going to mention anything on form 1s but as far as design and tooling to price, some cans have a mono baffle that doesn't come out. To those that might be concerned about losing the complete can to a baffle strike, it can be cut at the welds and a new baffle can be put on. The welds quality then the baffle design are part of it. The metal material for the baffles as well. Corrosion especially on the blast baffle for some regular metal like stainless would have a relatively short life. Even with white lithium grease.

In Magicland, USA, where there were no NFA regs and any machine shop could legally manufacture and distribute a good quality .30 cal ( or other ) suppressor, what should they run? There's no ulterior motive for the question, just on a very long trip and day-dreaming here...

I think the best answer to that is to take a look at the actual Magicland - Europe - where suppressors are not condemned, but rather encouraged, not to annoy people with the loud crack of a rifle, and as a defense against hearing loss. It's considered rude to shoot without using one, just as it is to drive a car about without a muffler. No tax stamp, freely available, and sold in quantity with competition, so that the normal rules of free trade apply. Some .22 models are available for about $50 US equivalent (the A-Tec Wave); higher end stainless steel centerfire models in the 250-300 Euro range. Here, limited production and trade restraint through the NFA make them a cottage industry product, and Adam Smith's rule applies on price. Especially since you can roll your own if $50 is too high. The HPA was supposed to open the door to the market, but it hasn't made it out of committee.

Last edited:
Mag lights are aluminum, dont use them for centerfire, solvent traps are old technology now, they work ok but not great and are heavy-- titanium cones or radial baffles are the way to go with ss one for blast baffles. DT, or qd options are available.. buy a suppressor alignment check rod/tool if you are doing your own.
You can make an 8-10" long, 1.5" diam titanium centerfire form 1 with ti and ss machined cones that weighs just under a pound (13-14 ounces) for about 3 Bill's plus the tax stamp, good for 300wm-- if you venture into 338lm territory you'll add about another $100 to the parts list for larger volume/diameter parts.

If you want to build a legal form 1 you first need to do some research and plan as you'll need to know the caliber and length to fill out the forms, then submit the form 1 and pay for stamp, then receive your stamp, then buy parts and manufacture.

If your looking for shortcut ways or under the table options you're on your own, too much at stake to save a few bucks in my eyes.

Lots of info on form1 suppressors on other forums, just Google and you'll be overwhelmed

Trusts used to have some advantages over filing individually, not as much anymore-- be ready to wait about 10 months for that email from the atf with a picture of a stamp worth $200 before you start building or drilling.

Trust are still the tool to preserve your suppressors and pass them down the line when you pass on. Otherwise they are supposed to be returned to the BATF by your estate's executor. Which, IMO, is just plain silly & a tremendous waste of money and equipment. Segue: Solvent traps; I thought that was a neat idea, and bought an adapter to hitch to a soda bottle or other container, then it occurred to me; if I want to use that, every time, I'll need to detach my flash suppressor, muzzle brake or my QD suppressor mounts; Doh, another few bucks wasted on some useless crap.

Trust are still the tool to preserve your suppressors and pass them down the line when you pass on. Otherwise they are supposed to be returned to the BATF by your estate's executor. Which, IMO, is just plain silly & a tremendous waste of money and equipment. Segue: Solvent traps; I thought that was a neat idea, and bought an adapter to hitch to a soda bottle or other container, then it occurred to me; if I want to use that, every time, I'll need to detach my flash suppressor, muzzle brake or my QD suppressor mounts; Doh, another few bucks wasted on some useless crap.

As long as you have it in your will you can form 5 an individual can to an heir

As long as you have it in your will you can form 5 an individual can to an heir
I was gonna say the same thing-- you don't need a trust, just transfer it free of charge on a form 5

Lots of mistakes information regarding atf items floating around.

The trust used to allow you to not have to do background checks, finger prints, notify local Leo etc, not anymore--- still a few pluses to trusts but not as many as there was before--- cant submit online for trusts anymore either so no more eforms to make it quick and easy.

Really lots off good detailed info on submitting as individual and trusts for form 1, 4&5 on "specific" forums

How long does it take to get a form 1? Hell, I am still waiting on a form 4 from last March, I would build my own if the wait time was reasonable.

trust do allow multiple users on a single background check.
i have 2 in a trust and all my kids are part of the trust.
my more recent purchases are not in the trust and in my name only

trust do allow multiple users on a single background check.
i have 2 in a trust and all my kids are part of the trust.
my more recent purchases are not in the trust and in my name only
Each "responsible party" of a trust must now have a bg check and fp cards, benificiaries that have no control of the trust do not but all trustees would be considered "responsible parties" , the rules for trusts changed back in July of 2016--- lots of people submitted for a form 1/trust just before the new law, it took some people 18 months to get their stamp

As far as wait on a form 1, I think they take just about as long as a form 4-- look at nfatracker website, form 1 individual paper is about 180 days, f1 trust paper is 200, form 1 Corp/llx paper over 400 days.

Form 4s- paper are 225-275 days to clear

If you want to try to get one fast--- try submitting your form 1 as an e-file--- they just started accepting e-file form 1s again ( found on eforms.atf.gov) -- NFA tracker has a few under this bit since they just restarted this program non have cleared yet.

Each "responsible party" of a trust must now have a bg check and fp cards, benificiaries that have no control of the trust do not but all trustees would be considered "responsible parties" , the rules for trusts changed back in July of 2016--- lots of people submitted for a form 1/trust just before the new law, it took some people 18 months to get their stamp

As far as wait on a form 1, I think they take just about as long as a form 4-- look at nfatracker website, form 1 individual paper is about 180 days, f1 trust paper is 200, form 1 Corp/llx paper over 400 days.

Form 4s- paper are 225-275 days to clear

If you want to try to get one fast--- try submitting your form 1 as an e-file--- they just started accepting e-file form 1s again ( found on eforms.atf.gov) -- NFA tracker has a few under this bit since they just restarted this program non have cleared yet.

There have been quite a few eform form 1s that have been completed in around 2weeks-1 month now.

Though that was before the shutdown I haven't kept up with if it got ruined since then.

And the heir need not file any forms, prints, BG checks or anything on the can(s) or other NFA items in the trust? I do not know what a form 5 is. TIA

It's like a tax free form 4. Your heir still has to be legally approved for the transfer but it won't cost money and it will take about a month. They can't take possession until they get their stamp, the items have to stay in a safe place until transfer is completed.(often your ffl or something If everyone at that residence has passed)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.