RUBBED & READY.. PA BULLS

Wow. Great video. Great picture. Thanks. Congratulations to you and all the other citizens of Pennsylvania. you have a great elk herd going there. I'm jealous.

...everyone needs to plan an Sept/Oct road trip...lots to see, everything is accessible..amazing fall colors..tons and tons of public land to roam around on...bugles from every direction...simple drive from anywhere in the northeast..lots of places to stay along I-80 within simple driving of the entire elk range..don't forget about the LIVE ELK CAMS..you never know what you might see..
FB_IMG_1724893220908.jpg

Also for those traveling on RT 80 from either direction, should consider exiting at the Kylertown exit. It will get you to the Elk area much quicker. You can fill your tank at Kylertown, then take the road to Keewaden, ( 9 miles ) and rt 879.
The area around Frenchville has a very large Elk population due to all of the old reclaimed strip mines.
879 will connect you with the Quehanna highway at Karthaus.
Nice motel/restaurant on the highway just before entering
Quehanna. Good elk viewing potential all along the highway.
Wykoff run road on the right will lead to Sinnemahoning, 10 miles.
The highway ends at Medix Run and rt 555.
Turn right and your about 5 miles to Benezette.
You will have been in Elk area pretty much from the time you left rt 80.

I dont quite share your enthusiasm for all of that Frank.
Mind you i enjoy seeing the Elk, but i also feel there was a price to be paid for that.
And im not alone in having those feelings.
Fifty years ago if you were to take the 18 mile drive from Driftwood to Bennezete in the late afternoon you would (expect ) to see fifty or more deer on the round trip.
Today you would expect to see none, and chances are you wont be disappointed.
Yet you would be very apt to see lots of elk.
Nothing has changed along that stretch of road, except the type of animals you are apt to see along the way.
The argument can be made that the trees have gotten bigger, so there is less for the deer to eat.
BUT, also go back fifty years and take a drive from Sinnemahoning up rt 872 to the Sinnemahoning state park.
In the large fields along the way you could count lots of deer feeding. What were they eating? Sure as hell wasent branches from small trees.
Again, take that same ride today and you will probably see no deer at all in those same fields.
The Game Commission in the early 70s left it be known at a large and noisy public meeting at a local sportsmans club that they intended to drasticly reduce the size of the deer herd in that region. I personally attended that meeting.
And that is the price paid for the elk herd we have today.