Rifle I probably won’t use anymore

One of your options was to do something different. Why not work up a load with some heavier high BC bullets? The 215 or even the 230 berger comes to mind.

I made a load for a friend's 300 WSM Browning A-bolt with a boss using the 230 Berger. Was setup to fit and feed from a 2.8" magazine. Even with many threads mentioning not impinging on powder space which would "loose performance", the rifle yielded 2735 fps from this rifle's barrel with 61 gr of RL-17. It sure flattened an elk that year. We joke that the bullet's base is sitting on the flashhole.

With one of these bullets it fills a void in your collection with minimal expense.

One of your options was to do something different. Why not work up a load with some heavier high BC bullets? The 215 or even the 230 berger comes to mind.

I made a load for a friend's 300 WSM Browning A-bolt with a boss using the 230 Berger. Was setup to fit and feed from a 2.8" magazine. Even with many threads mentioning not impinging on powder space which would "loose performance", the rifle yielded 2735 fps from this rifle's barrel with 61 gr of RL-17. It sure flattened an elk that year. We joke that the bullet's base is sitting on the flashhole.

With one of these bullets it fills a void in your collection with minimal expense.

That's almost as strange looking as 250's in my 338-06! :oops: Better performance though. I think a lot of you guys are letting me know that maybe I just need to work with it more and start with some heavies. Like I said in the opening, I never went over 180's and my 7 saum with 175's or 180's is hands down the winner in that weight.

I have a M700 stainless SPS in 300wsm that I put a Bell & Carlson stock on a few years back. It's got a Zeiss Conquest on it and has been a decent rifle. I brought it out with me a few times to hunt Muley's and it shoots ok. I never loaded up anything other then 165's and 180 Barnes and noslers for it. I guess I never really gave it much attention 😢. Anyway, I'm thinking of either rebarreling and doing something different or selling. Thinking if I had something to fill a gap in my current line up would be nice. Here are my current rifle chamberings. Would love to hear opinions and thoughts.
9.3x62
338-06
2- 7x57AI's
2- 6.5 CM's
7 saum
45-70
450 bushmaster
Planning a 338 build (338LM, 338SM, 338NM or similar)
and the 300wsm in question.
Any ideas for a possible build to toss in the mix using the M700 short action?
Try a 338 Federal. It's a great deer gun among other things.

I have a M700 stainless SPS in 300wsm that I put a Bell & Carlson stock on a few years back. It's got a Zeiss Conquest on it and has been a decent rifle. I brought it out with me a few times to hunt Muley's and it shoots ok. I never loaded up anything other then 165's and 180 Barnes and noslers for it. I guess I never really gave it much attention 😢. Anyway, I'm thinking of either rebarreling and doing something different or selling. Thinking if I had something to fill a gap in my current line up would be nice. Here are my current rifle chamberings. Would love to hear opinions and thoughts.
9.3x62
338-06
2- 7x57AI's
2- 6.5 CM's
7 saum
45-70
450 bushmaster
Planning a 338 build (338LM, 338SM, 338NM or similar)
and the 300wsm in question.
Any ideas for a possible build to toss in the mix using the M700 short action?
The question is what will you go after that your current arsenal won't handle/do well with? When you say short action that's even more restrictive. Missing isa 300WM, 45-70, and a 220 Swift at the opposite end.

Great line-up. I had the same issue with my 300WSM and sold it. No tolerance for spotty groups. However, I found the 270WSM to completely deliver. Lighter weight at 130-150 gr, but outstanding groups and terminal performance. Might be some slight overlap in your line-up.

If you are thinking 30 caliber, looks like 300 WinMag, or shorty with another 300 WSM barrel.

6.5X55 will not work in a short action.

6.5 PRC is about the only choice unless you want an orphan.

I like the 338 Win Mag, with a good break it a break its a ***** cat to shoot and it will really reach out there and touch em.

The question is what will you go after that your current arsenal won't handle/do well with? When you say short action that's even more restrictive. Missing isa 300WM, 45-70, and a 220 Swift at the opposite end.
It's not that I don't have rifles that won't do a certain thing, I'm a gun guy like the rest of the forum users and just need a fix to fill a possible void. Another reason to spend my money on something worth while! I have a 45-70, no big 22's.

Great line-up. I had the same issue with my 300WSM and sold it. No tolerance for spotty groups. However, I found the 270WSM to completely deliver. Lighter weight at 130-150 gr, but outstanding groups and terminal performance. Might be some slight overlap in your line-up.

If you are thinking 30 caliber, looks like 300 WinMag, or shorty with another 300 WSM barrel.
I'm not necessarily thinking .30 cal. I have never been a 30 fan. I have an AR10 in .308 and this 300wsm. I've always leaned .284 and .338 with no need for the 30 cal. I'm trying to break that train of thought though, hence this thread. I do feel I should have went 300WM instead of WSM now.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.