New rifle quesstion, probably 6.5-284

Thanks for all of the advice so far, it has really opened me up to some new ideas. Especially the PacNor option, if I go custom that will probably be the route I go.

Now for the true challenge: getting a budget out of the wife. Then I can start to make a better decision of how to spend the money.

Browsing the PacNor site did bring up two other questions though: is fluting worth it for a 6.5-284 on the barrel or action. And 3 or 5 groove rifling? I know I saw something on here about grooves but I need to look it back up, not sure if have seen anything about fluting for this caliber yet.

Oh and then one more random question, can a wooden (or laminated) stock be as good as one of the precision stocks like the HS and the M40?

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the advice so far, it has really opened me up to some new ideas. Especially the PacNor option, if I go custom that will probably be the route I go.

Now for the true challenge: getting a budget out of the wife. Then I can start to make a better decision of how to spend the money.

Browsing the PacNor site did bring up two other questions though: is fluting worth it for a 6.5-284 on the barrel or action. And 3 or 5 groove rifling? I know I saw something on here about grooves but I need to look it back up, not sure if have seen anything about fluting for this caliber yet.

Oh and then one more random question, can a wooden (or laminated) stock be as good as one of the precision stocks like the HS and the M40?

Fluting is more for show than anything. It's great if you have some extra coin. But, weight reduction and cooling are nominal at best. There are plenty of other places to spend your money.

Barrels win with 3, 4, and 5 groove using hammer forged, button, and cut rifling. 5R is sexy right now. I have a Bartlein 5R that's excellent acuracy, cleanup, etc. Once you pick your Mfg, call them and tell them what you want to do. And, see what their recommendation is.

I would go with the LRH before using a Model 12. I own the Model 12 F-Class and it's a great target rifle. But, the LRH is ready for hunting. And, you can build it up like Johnny Cash (...one piece at a time) to mitigate the wife situation.

Cooper will hold value better than Savage over time. But, it's not exactly a collector's item either.

I love fine wood stocks. But, they usually aren't the best choice for a hunting rifle. Laminate stocks are an excellent value. They aren't as prestigious as composites or chassis. But, they are solid performers for less money usually.

Don't forget to budget for reloading equipment, a good range finder like the Leica CRF 1200, quality optics, ammo, range fees, gasoline, etc...

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.