Rifle Build 35 whelen light weight

Thank you everyone, so I called wildcat composites about ordering up a stock in left handed. I'm waiting for a call back.

As for barrels I'm leaning towards a 1:12 twist now in 22 inches.

Hand skills, you mentioned the blind magazine. Are you referring to the ADL designation? How is feeding and reliability from a blind mag setup? What more is needed to complete the blind mag setup? Spring and follower... anything else?

I want to thank everyone for the guidence and help, I'm almost ready to start ordering everything.

I still need to figure out barrel profile. It was mentioned above that I go with a #2 contour fluted barrel. Anyone know an aproxamate weight in .358 at 22 inches length?

Trev

Same components, just delete the bottom metal. You kind of save weight twice, because not only do you lose the bottom metal, but also magazine capacity...

Thanks everyone for helping me in the parts selection/configuration process.

I'm finalizing an order with Wildcat composites for one of their ultralight designed hunting stocks. Stu was very helpful and says he is roughly 1 month out wait time from when the order is placed. The stock will then need quite a bit of fitting because of the left handed action, a bedding job and paint.

I'm going to order all the parts I plan to use and then send it to a gunsmith to complete the build. Right now I'm looking at Alaska Customs as they are a gunsmith that has finished many Wildcat composite stocks and are familiar with them.

I still need to select a barrel make and contour. Any recommendations? I want quality but don't need the most expensive brand. I want to keep it light weight, 22 inches, and I am leaning towards a 1:12 twist.

Oh and Hand Skills, are you saying the blind magazine ADL setup has more ammo capacity? What capacity might i expect for a 35 whelen?

I was told by Stu that when you compare the weights of the ADL vs the BDL setups, depending on material used, they are within 1oz or less from each other? If the ADL can fit an extra round that might be worth going after?

Again I appreciate all the help and feedback,

Trevor

I think you are getting some bad barrel advice. The lightest barrel I would consider is a Krieger #3. They will only build a 358 barrel that light from Chromoly and they won't flute it.

Give me a few minutes and I will tell you the weight.

It will weigh about 44 ounces.

Sorry I overlooked this advise before my last post.

Looks like a number 3 contour is heavy at 44 ounces. I'd also like to go stainless if I can. Will the #2 and or #1 contours not shoot well?

Any other brand options that you might recommend I check out?

Thanks,

Trevor

Sorry I overlooked this advise before my last post.

Looks like a number 3 contour is heavy at 44 ounces. I'd also like to go stainless if I can. Will the #2 and or #1 contours not shoot well?

Any other brand options that you might recommend I check out?

Thanks,

Trevor
I'm guessing there are many good barrel makers but there is only 3 brands that I would use. Two of them don't make 35 caliber barrels so, for me, Krieger is the only choice. The smallest contour they will make in 358 is a #3 and it has to be Chromoly. The smallest 358 they will make from Stainless is a #6.

the ADL setup loses round capacity because it is fully contained within the stock. the BDL allows for probably 1 more round because the bottom metl sits below the bottom line of the stock. I have the PTG canoe BDL metal on my 338RUM, it sits even lower as to allow extra space for rounds. I think the aluminum bdl is like 3oz or less, pretty light. The BDL also allows for much easier and safer unloading of the magazine.

If most shots are under 100 yards, why spend the $ on blueprinting? NO need for it. Spend it instead on custom titanium action after selling yours and light stock IF light weight is your goal. You will be much happier in the long run. I would order a chambered criterion barrel from Northland and get a good quality low power variable scope if you absolutly want to build. You are not building a LR rig, you are building a short range heavy hitter. That will do easy 1 to 1.5 MOA and that is all you need. Also, look at one of the Forbes rifles in 30'06 and simply rebore the barrel to 35 caliber at 5.5 lbs. They are on gunbroker for $1200-1400

You can buy a Rem CDL 35 Whelen for $800 and simply restock it with light stock.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785230513

here is your reboring http://www.cutrifle.com/reboring.html

Last edited:
If most shots are under 100 yards, why spend the $ on blueprinting? NO need for it. Spend it instead on custom titanium action after selling yours and light stock IF light weight is your goal. You will be much happier in the long run. I would order a chambered criterion barrel from Northland and get a good quality low power variable scope if you absolutly want to build. You are not building a LR rig, you are building a short range heavy hitter. That will do easy 1 to 1.5 MOA and that is all you need. Also, look at one of the Forbes rifles in 30'06 and simply rebore the barrel to 35 caliber at 5.5 lbs. They are on gunbroker for $1200-1400

You can buy a Rem CDL 35 Whelen for $800 and simply restock it with light stock.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785230513

here is your reboring http://www.cutrifle.com/reboring.html

Bounty hunter,

I appreciate the information. I thought blueprinting was needed for the gun to shoot well but if it in not needed to get 1moa then I will save the money.

Your 35 whelen rem cdl is an interesting idea but I'm not sure that rifle was ever made in a left hand action? I've looked around and haven't stumbled onto one.

The Forbes rifles look very nice but again I'm not seeing any lefty versions. Also I wonder if the barrel could safely be punched out to .358 and have adaquit wall thickness? I'm guessing with the 5.5lbs weight everything is already widdled down quite a bit to save weight?

Alaska86 thank you for the bottom metal info. I new to these bolt gun builds and didn't know that the adl holds 1 less round than the bdl configuration.

Thanks,

Trevor

Edd , I have heard nothing but great stuff about Krieger but I'm wanting to go all stainless.

I really appreciate all the help with this stuff!

Trevor

Don't be afraid to go with a Pac-Nor barrel,I had one on a 300 RUM in a very light contour and it shot very well. Plus, they are more likely to make you a stainless barrel in a light contour than some of the other makers. Broughton & Brux are two that worry about stainless in cold weather

Benchmark does a good stainless .358

For many years I thought truing an action and blueprinting were the same. They are not.

I would recommend truing - which ensures the face of the action is square to the threads, and lapping the bolt lugs to the new barrel.

Full blueprint takes alignment past the point of diminishing returns for many shooters.

Cool, its a done deal!!!

I just ordered a stainless 22in super match #1 contour from Pac Nor with a hunters crown 1:12 twist 5 groove rifling. I went with the pre fit!
The 5 groove rifling was the only option in the 1:12 twist. Their barrel calculator says it comes in at 2.69lbs.

Does anyone do action lightening? Is that even a thing?

Man I'm excited about this build!

Trevor

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.