Remove red loctite?

Marplot

To keep my muzzle brake on my Tikka roughtech from coming off I used red loctite. I realized that the muzzle brake is offensive to nearby shooters and want to remove it. I don't need it anyhow the 6.5 Creed is easy with recoil.

BUT The only way I see is to heat the muzzle up to about 550F. Is that going to damage my muzzle?

How tight did you put it on and how much locktite did you use? If you have a barrel vise I would clamp it in and try to remove it before you heat it. If that doesn't work put the heat out from the threads on the brake and keep a lot of pressure on it to unscrew it so it will come loose without excess heat. Everyone is so scared of red locktite but I use it on lots of stuff and never have a problem getting things apart with it.

To keep my muzzle brake on my Tikka roughtech from coming off I used red loctite. I realized that the muzzle brake is offensive to nearby shooters and want to remove it. I don't need it anyhow the 6.5 Creed is easy with recoil.

BUT The only way I see is to heat the muzzle up to about 550F. Is that going to damage my muzzle?
We got a barrel from RRA with a Flash Suppressor on and could not get it off. I called RRA and they told me that they use Red Loctite and to heat it up. NOTHING. I sent back to RRA. They ended up giving me a new barrel. I spoke to the tech that worked on it and he told me he heated it up and then twisted the barrel.
Lots of Penetrating Oil (Blaster) Kroil to soak for a few days and heat a little at a time to get the Oil to sink in. Take your time and keep heating a little at a time.
Be careful trying to twist the Brake off. Heat is the only way to get it off unless someone knows a new way.
Like Muddybuddy sates use a wet towel on the barrel.

No. Temp is way below what's needed to affect the metallurgy.
Once it starts smokin', remove the heat and try to twist it off.

You might try soaking muzzlebrake overnight in a jar of acetone. I use it to remove adhesive when fletching arrows or bolts. Snipershide also said same, number of folks said it worked well for loctite removal. Try it if you care to. I know it does well on superglue

Recent Posts