Remington Jeweled Bolts

Locust Glenn

I did a search in the forums and didn't find anything on this, so here we go. Please forgive me if I missed it.

I was just piddling around on the web and decided to check out the Remington website. I noticed all of the Model 700 rifles pictured are now shown with jeweled bolts. I know it's more of a cosmetic feature, but always thought it looked really cool.
Could've been like this for a long time, but I was at least thinking that for many years, only a few of the rifles still had the jeweled bolts like the BDL's, the stainless rifles, and the CDL's. Either way, I always thought that was a nice feature that the older rifles had. Anyone else notice that? I wonder why they went back to that?

I remember seeing Larry Potterfield do it on a bolt in one of those clips Midway USA used to do. I was surprised at how time consuming it looked to be.
I have "Jeweled" Bolts on our Mill using an Index tool and 1/4" Jewel abrasive rod. Similar to Larry's video. Takes a long time, but LOOKS Great.
We have several Rifle bolts and shotgun bolts we are going to do sometime.

Interesting subject. I looked through my old photos of my REM 700's from the 80's and 90's that were all BDL in blued/walnut or Hs-Precision and none had jewelled bolts, although my VLS had a polished bolt body and satin black blueing, I recall reading that it was actually a stainless barrel, as was my 17 Remington from the same vintage.
All of my stainless actions have had jewelled bolts except the Long Range version I have in 300WM. I think my SPS in 300RUM also has, but I didn't check and have no photos of it to look at yet.
These days, I prefer to have my bolts fluted after the jewelling is polished off.

Cheers.

Agree with Feenix. Jewelling makes the bolt look nice, but fluting it actually performs a useful function, making it operate much more smoothly IMHO. Might reduce the weight too for those looking for a lighter build. I think the jewelling looks better on the bolt of a wood stocked rifle, not so much on a synthetic stocked rifle.

I actually have a Remington 308 factory barrel.that is all jeweled it's kinda cool looking ! Somebody was on a mission for sure !

Rum Man

I like a fluted bolt as well. When I had my 700 built by Straight Jacket, they fluted the bolt. It's a really cool look and I would say about as smooth as a 700 can be.

Interesting subject. I looked through my old photos of my REM 700's from the 80's and 90's that were all BDL in blued/walnut or Hs-Precision and none had jewelled bolts, although my VLS had a polished bolt body and satin black blueing, I recall reading that it was actually a stainless barrel, as was my 17 Remington from the same vintage.
All of my stainless actions have had jewelled bolts except the Long Range version I have in 300WM. I think my SPS in 300RUM also has, but I didn't check and have no photos of it to look at yet.
These days, I prefer to have my bolts fluted after the jewelling is polished off.

Cheers.
That is interesting. My brother has a beautiful BDL from the late 80s and the bolt is jeweled. I also had an ADL that was late 80s early 90s that had a jeweled bolt. I didn't realize there were that many variations. I assumed it was a standard feature on the BDL. Thanks.

Recent Posts