remington adl is that a good start

my crappy adl shoots .5 moa out to 900 yds so im happy it also recently shot under 2 inches at 800 yds . Im glad you could spend more and be able to shoot alot better than that but that is plenty for me. My gunsmith also told me that a custom action was a waste of money. I will take his word for it because he has been building long range rifles for 28 years and knows more than i probably ever will.

That was my first reaction as well. You may get a shooter right out of the box. Most of us tend to go the custom route, so we assume all these additional things need to be done. But for someone just starting out, get the ADL in 300 WM and see how it shoots. If it will hold .75 to 1 MOA, then don't worry about fine tuning for accuracy. Just shoot out to reasonable distances and see if this is something you really want to get into.

After shooting some at 400 to 600 yds, you will begin to see the value of a nicer scope, a better rangefinder, AR500 metal targets, portable weather stations, etc. Then custom barrels, stocks, triggers, blueprinted actions, etc. The list goes on and on. Stay in the shallow end for a little while and learn all you can. Then if you like the sport and challenge, begin to selectively upgrade your equipment.

BTW, a Savage works just as well. Probably better accuracy out of the box, but less aftermarket upgrades (although that is changing as well).

Whereas your nephews rifle looks great the addition of the Leupold scope and some cosmetic changes/ additions ( and thats exactly what they are...cosmetic changes) that dont make it into a 1000 yard weapon....and thats what the OP asked about. And to have the Rem 700 action REALLY "tuned up" it takes a lot more than a minimum of work and most of that work had better be done by a qualified machinist!

Wow - you are a real jerk!

I agree with Dean by the remington, I reload for two of my friends and we all shoot 300rum. Two are xcr and the third is bdl. They all shoot under half inch at 100 yards. My buddies guns only have the factory trigger turned down. I bought a timney trigger for mine. Non of us have the actions worked on at all. They all shoot excellent. Some like savages some like remingtons but what you want and you will be fine.

Yes it's a good starting point. It may or may not give you the necessary accuracy to get good results at long range as it is, but the 700 action is the same whether it's an ADL, BDL, XCR etc.

If it's got a light contour sporter barrel then at some point you will probably want to rebarrel with something longer and heavier and when you do you get the action blue printed at the same time.

Out of the box, just take it to a good gunsmith and get the basic accuracy job of lapping the lugs, pillar bedding etc and then see how she shoots for you.

If you get to the point of needing to rebarrel, then just send the whole thing of to Krieger and they'll true the action and install the new barrel and you can ge tthe whole thing done for under 800.00.

There are just so many stocks, triggers and other aftermarket goodies for the 700 action it's a great way to go for a guy on a budget that wants to do a lilttle bit at a time over time to get where you want in the end.

Keep in mind you are getting a rifle ready to go hunting with complete for about the same price as an action alone. Not a bad way to start.

my crappy adl shoots .5 moa out to 900 yds so im happy it also recently shot under 2 inches at 800 yds . Im glad you could spend more and be able to shoot alot better than that but that is plenty for me. My gunsmith also told me that a custom action was a waste of money. I will take his word for it because he has been building long range rifles for 28 years and knows more than i probably ever will.

Thats BALONEY if I ever heard it.

That is not bologna. I should clarify though that it is just the adl action. It has a broughtong 5c barrel plus has been blueprinted and bedded and trigger job and muzzle break plus aftermarket stock. It is however still a 700 adl action that was used as a starting point. Also the 700 action is the same whether it comes from adl, bdl, cdl, sendero and so on. I should have also noted he said custom was a waste for a lighter weight hunting rifle. He does prefer them for a long heavy weight bbl and for target rifles due to the extra strength required for supporting the heavy free floated bbls. I also dont appreciate being called a liar.

Last edited:
Thats your opinion...but doesnt negate what I posted is FACT...like it or not. COSMETICS dont make a great shooting rifle..period

Your spouting off and calling it FACT is getting old. those were NOT cosmetic only. do you have any idea what makes a rifle accurate? a stiff laminated stock that has been bedded very well can make a WORLD of difference, and a tuned crisp trigger pull? It is very apparent by your posts and questions that you have asked in the past that you really do not have a lot of experience. And discrediting Trebark and dean is totally uncalled for. Why would dean lie about that? You wont like this but I have a factory tikka 25-06 that shoots a 1/2 INCH not moa at 400 yardsI have done it more than once... gonna call me a liar too? I dont know you or where you are from but You really should tone down the attitude. we all get along here for the most part but all you seem to want to do is argue and give your incorrect theories as FACT and think we are gonna buy into it. You are only making your self look like a jerk with no credibility.

That is not bologna. I should clarify though that it is just the adl action. It has a broughtong 5c barrel plus has been blueprinted and bedded and trigger job and muzzle break plus aftermarket stock. It is however still a 700 adl action that was used as a starting point. Also the 700 action is the same whether it comes from adl, bdl, cdl, sendero and so on. I should have also noted he said custom was a waste for a lighter weight hunting rifle. He does prefer them for a long heavy weight bbl and for target rifles due to the extra strength required for supporting the heavy free floated bbls. I also dont appreciate being called a liar.

AHA! The truth comes out. But thats NOT what you aluded to...you IMPLIED a STOCK ADL was shooting 1/2" groups..etc.

One thats been worked over...sure..I can believe that easy enough.

Last edited:
Your spouting off and calling it FACT is getting old. those were NOT cosmetic only. do you have any idea what makes a rifle accurate? a stiff laminated stock that has been bedded very well can make a WORLD of difference, and a tuned crisp trigger pull? It is very apparent by your posts and questions that you have asked in the past that you really do not have a lot of experience. And discrediting Trebark and dean is totally uncalled for. Why would dean lie about that? You wont like this but I have a factory tikka 25-06 that shoots a 1/2 INCH not moa at 400 yardsI have done it more than once... gonna call me a liar too? I dont know you or where you are from but You really should tone down the attitude. we all get along here for the most part but all you seem to want to do is argue and give your incorrect theories as FACT and think we are gonna buy into it. You are only making your self look like a jerk with no credibility.

Yeah I know...you are the Master of rifle intelligence..I can see that for sure...( HAAAAHHHH) And i have a 22-250 here that an shoot the seeds out of a grape at half mile too...

I get along too until the BS starts to flow and then I prefer to call it in

like I said any of us can look back at all of the posts you have made and come up with our own assumption of your expertise and maturity levels. You continue to prove to me with each post that both are very low...

And to the OP the ADLis a crap shoot in my opinion, you may get a real shooter, you may get one that needs a new stock and bedded and maybe the lugs lapped or you might get a donor action... the good thing about the 700 is you can do as much or as little as you like to it. Probably not a bad place to start though. And as stated before savage makes an accurate rifle thats easy to customize. I prefer the look of the 700 personally

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.