Remington 700 trigger

When I bought my Cooper Backcountry 3 years ago it came with a TriggerTech Primary trigger. I couldn't get it below 2 lbs so I called Cooper and they told me they could swap it out for another identical trigger. Before doing that I decided to call TriggerTech......I spoke to Mark and he very generously offered to swap it out for the Special Trigger since I wanted weight down to at least 1#. The Special wouldn't adjust below 1.5# so I ended up putting a Jewell in it like I have in all my other 700 and 700 clone actions. I then tried the TriggerTech Special in an older model 700 and same results......couldn't get below 1.5#. Trigger is sitting in a box at my loading bench......maybe I'll find something it will work in someday! In the meantime, I'll stick with my Jewells!
To get below 1-1/2lbs you need a Diamond. No problem after that. Either of these will go below 1/2lb easily. The one on the left is in my chassis and is SWEET. The two stage is nice especially when you get light as it allows you to cover the trigger without accidentally sending one.

20200629_173601.jpg

After looking around and all the Info from yall I'm believe I'm going to go with a triggertech primary.im am just wanting to make sure they do come with the factory bolt release? All the ones I've looked at on line dont show it being on there

Triggertech no question. I run the two stage diamond flat and really like it. My Kimbers now have them as do the ARs. I prefer them to all the others, Timney, Jewell, Geissele, etc. I went back and forth between the two stage and regular on my chassis and settled on two stage for that application.
I have 2 of the flat triggertech diamonds and love them. I have to many gun projects to replace them all 😂🤣

Speakin a triggers, what would cause the bolt stop [Rem 700] not to return to pre-release condition? Weak spring or something else?

When I bought my Cooper Backcountry 3 years ago it came with a TriggerTech Primary trigger. I couldn't get it below 2 lbs so I called Cooper and they told me they could swap it out for another identical trigger. Before doing that I decided to call TriggerTech......I spoke to Mark and he very generously offered to swap it out for the Special Trigger since I wanted weight down to at least 1#. The Special wouldn't adjust below 1.5# so I ended up putting a Jewell in it like I have in all my other 700 and 700 clone actions. I then tried the TriggerTech Special in an older model 700 and same results......couldn't get below 1.5#. Trigger is sitting in a box at my loading bench......maybe I'll find something it will work in someday! In the meantime, I'll stick with my Jewells!
I would love to put a Jewel trigger in my Cooper but haven't seen any for sale. Where did you get yours?

Some of the early Remington triggers had a safety with a long tang that locked the bolt closed when on. Has anyone ever had a gunsmith/machinist mill a groove in their newer action to accommodate that older safety?

They were supposedly pretty nice triggers when tuned up. The pic is of an older Shilen trigger.

ZU3VBLU.jpg

Some of the early Remington triggers had a safety with a long tang that locked the bolt closed when on. Has anyone ever had a gunsmith/machinist mill a groove in their newer action to accommodate that older safety?

They were supposedly pretty nice triggers when tuned up. The pic is of an older Shilen trigger.

ZU3VBLU.jpg

Thanks for the pix, the Shilen three lever conversion on the 700 trigger was excellent even for light benchrest competition. I found the hole for the extra lever was perfectly placed so copied their's.

The old Rem 700 had blade screw heads without locking screws so these screws had to be thread sealed with locktite or nail polish once adjusted. By replacing the springs behind the adjustment screws with lighter ones made an excellent trigger for field and hunting use.

I have reached an age where I am flat out doing my own work now so do not do any more triggers.

Back then the Shilen came without a safety so I used the one and a couple other parts from the Remington that it replaced. The long tang was a nice feature; don't know why Remington went away from it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.