Reloading Newb

Gents, new to the forum (so go gentle). I want to get into handloading, but am having a little paralysis by analysis. I saw BackFire TV has a good list to start out with. I don't want to go cheap initially and then upgrade and pay more in the end. But I'm also not going to pretend to know what I'm doing and buy the most gucci gear. So any tender hearts that care to toss a list of really good, not the best reloading kit/combos - fire away!

Great cartridge. My personal choice for brand of dies is Redding. Their type S dies are what I use mostly but they aren't required. Any brand die is fine. Especially if you're using the 280AI for hunting only which I assume you are. I recommend getting a single stage press. Simple to use and produce great ammo. RCBS Rock chucker is a great press to start with. You don't need to spend a lot of money on the most expensive equipment to achieve the same results with the basics. Get yourself a published load data book before anything and read it. You will learn a ton of valuable and important information.

Great cartridge. My personal choice for brand of dies is Redding. Their type S dies are what I use mostly but they aren't required. Any brand die is fine. Especially if you're using the 280AI for hunting only which I assume you are. I recommend getting a single stage press. Simple to use and produce great ammo. RCBS Rock chucker is a great press to start with. You don't need to spend a lot of money on the most expensive equipment to achieve the same results with the basics. Get yourself a published load data book before anything and read it. You will learn a ton of valuable and important information.
And you got it. Pure hunting rig.

First…..a Welcome from North Central Wyoming!

Then, don't over complicate it! Or, better yet……don't let the unbelievable amount of internet gurus and information overwhelm you.

First think basic……read! Get an old fashion Lyman Metallic Cartridge Reloading manual. Learn the terminology, and the reloading basics.

This is as basic as it gets……you reuse the case, replacing the components that were used, primer, powder, and bullet.

The case will swell to the chamber dimensions when fired. You must first reduce the case size in the sizing die. During this step, the spent primer is expelled. Next step……replace burned powder. The amount and type will given for your particular cartridge in the aforementioned manual. Next step…..seat a bullet into the case. The manual will also give the recommended cartridge/bullet overall length. You have just reloaded a cartridge!

Yes, that's a bit simplistic……but, those are the fundamentals which can provide you with a shootable cartridge. You can punch paper, shoot cans, or even hunt with that. How deeply you want to get involved solely depends upon, your ultimate desires, your time and money you can put into hand loading!

Some of us started before the internet, on a "shoestring" budget, I started with a $9.99 Lee Loader ( look it up on the Lee website) for a .308 Win., a plastic mallet, bullets/primers/powder. I shot a lot of rounds through my little .308 using my Lee Loader.

Obviously, you're going to need a bit more specialized equipment for your 280 AI. This was my attempt to suggest that it can be kept very simple ……yet very functional! memtb

Heres a photo of a LeeLoader for a 30-30 Winchester

1724043397687.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome from NY!! For a starter kit I would look at rcbs or Hornady press kits. You can buy one fairly cheap and they come with everything included to get started. So they usually have the press, powder trickler, case holder, micrometer, reloading manual, bullet extractor, scale etc.. literally everything you will need to start out. What you will need, cartridge holder- depending on what you're reloading the sizes change. Powder, primers, projectiles and I'd definitely get a comparator right out of the gate. That should get you a great start and there are plenty of good videos online to watch. Once you get going, there's tons of little tips and tricks to dial in your loads, the guys on here will have a ton of info on that for ya! Best of luck and welcome

Last edited:
Redding and RCBS have starter kits that range from mid-range price to expensive. I have the RCBS RockChucker Supreme kit is a very good one, I also have the Redding Big Boss II is another great one. I have the RCBS Turret press with 6 stations and several individual heads. There are others available from other manufacturers that are well priced.
I have had Lyman orange series presses in the past, good basic presses. Have not had Lee, Hornady or other brands. Had a Summit arbor press, didn't like it, moved it on.

Cheers.

Gents, new to the forum (so go gentle). I want to get into handloading, but am having a little paralysis by analysis. I saw BackFire TV has a good list to start out with. I don't want to go cheap initially and then upgrade and pay more in the end. But I'm also not going to pretend to know what I'm doing and buy the most gucci gear. So any tender hearts that care to toss a list of really good, not the best reloading kit/combos - fire away!
I suggest you start by gathering a LOT of info, ie, several reloading manuals, such as Lyman, Sierra, Hornady.
The Hornady manual has a great opening section covering the basic concepts and terminology of reloading.
Be sure to look for the latest edition of each manual, as they update every few years to include the newest cartridges and bullet weights and styles.

Also, buy top quality brass (eg Lapua, Nosler). By reading this forum, you will find what people consider to be the best.
I am hooked on Lapua. It costs more for a reason: quality of manufacturing, which yields more precise loads. Each piece is going to last you at least 10 firings, if you take good care of it; so in the end the cost (approximately $2/piece) isn't bad. Expect to have to search and wait for it because these days it is one of the components that is in short supply, for some suspicious reason.
The cheaper brands will work fine, but based on your opening statement, I think you will end up wanting quality

Also, buy top quality brass (eg Lapua, Nosler). By reading this forum, you will find what people consider to be the best.
I am hooked on Lapua. It costs more for a reason: quality of manufacturing, which yields more precise loads. Each piece is going to last you at least 10 firings, if you take good care of it; so in the end the cost (approximately $2/piece) isn't bad. Expect to have to search and wait for it because these days it is one of the components that is in short supply, for some suspicious reason.
The cheaper brands will work fine, but based on your opening statement, I think you will end up wanting quality
Agree. Good brass is worth the higher prices.

Lapua is usually my first choice. For 280 AI specifically, I'd look for Petersons brass. Grafs.com carries it.

They have a 250 count available:

Cool round and it seems to be picking up in popularity. Availability of components has been a challenge the last few years but that's universally true. I'd say a little worse for 280AI.

Luckily, primers are becoming available again. Major bottleneck to any new reloader for years now. If you don't have a couple thousand Large Rifle primers, start there. Buy those first and then everything else.

What is your budget?

I'm going to repeat this because I believe it is very important. Get yourself a reloading manual or two and read. There's lots of information on the basics up to advanced in there that is very important and should be read.
RCBS rock chucker kit won't break the bank and will give you years of service.
Get yourself a decent set of dial calipers and a few other odds and ends.
I would purchase some components whenever available. Research on powder for the weight bullets you plan on using.
I am partial to IMR 7828 and IMR 4831 for my 280 AI but there's plenty of options.

Recent Posts