reloading newb check list

Read up on the shell holders. Many calibers use the same shell holder. IE- .308, .270, 6.5CM etc etc Its a #3 on the RCBS list.
You do not need an electronic powder dispenser. I've been reloading since 1971 and have yet to own one. I do have a Uniflow powder measure. I set it to throw just under the charge that I need. Drop powder into all my cases, usually 50 at a time, dump one case's powder into the pan of my RCBS 1010 beam balance scale then trickle in until the desired charge is reached. When done with a tray of 50, I randomly choose 1 case from each row of 10 in my reloading block and verify that charge weight. I have a set of RCBS check weights to verify accuracy of my beam scale occasionally. I use a Lee hand priming tool. It has all the strength I need when not using the one on the press. I use the Lee Chamfer/Deburring tool and the Lee Flash Hole deburring tool. I use a Forster case trimmer. Again, loading since 1971 and never annealed. I got dial Calipers from Harbor Freight for $30. They do all I need, I am not getting in to machinist work. If you can source a runout gauge for a reasonable price, i've found it to be a valuable tool. With it you can verify "concentricity" of your finished rounds. Lastly I'd recommend Lyman ammo checker blocks. These are machined to SAAMI standards. If your rifle chamber is SAAMI standard, rounds that nestle in the ammo checker block will chamber in your rifle. Develop some standards for your work area. Sloppiness leads to errors. Also don't weigh powder around a heater/AC vent. Moving air can skew your measurements. I use regular RCBS case lube "SPARINGLY" on a lube pad.
I picked up a used Cabela's Vibratory case cleaner. Using crushed walnut media and the RCBS polish gives me nice clean brass. Components have been difficult to find, especially primers.

Unless you are reloading for cowboy shoots or some other high volume shooting scenario a single stage press will suit your needs.

Buy one or two loading manuals and Look at reloading data on-line. If reloading for hunting most bullet manufacturers publish a minimum velocity where their bullets will perform as they warrant. So I figure my max shooting distance, usually 500yds because of where I hunt and tailor my loads to give me better than the manufacturers recommended minimum velocity. Nosler for instance recommends 1800fps.

Last edited:
You have embarked on a long journey. ! What you need and what you want and what you just read about and what 50 of us may suggest will all begin to blur !!!! It is all extremely interesting and rewarding,and Fun !!!!! But there is no end !!! Here is a small example. Hundreds of guys who bought inexpensive Cronigraohs finally purchased the Lab Radar ! It is really an Excellent device ,But the first day the new Garmin came out , they flew off the shelves!! E Bay was full of. Used Lab radar units ! Over night reloaders decided they Needed that to verify the velocity of their loads and needed the Garmin units !!!! Embrace it buddy !!! It's a very rewarding hobby !!!

Find a mentor. Someone with years of experience and KNOWS what he is doing. This will save you time and money. Knowing what to buy is just as important as knowing what NOT to buy. Tapping into the knowledge and experience of a mentor means you won't be "reinventing the wheel".

As mentioned above, get at least 3 manuals. I like the Lyman, Hornady and Sierra manuals.

Christmas is coming up so start telling friends and family of your new hobby and maybe even give them a list of equipment you want to get.