Reloading for the M1A

101sniper

This may not be the right place for this not really sure, but here it goes. I just purchased a springfeild standerd M1A. It shoots like a dream with factory ammo or new brass that has been reloaded once. When I reload that brass a second time I am having serious function and feeding issues. This is my first time reloading for an auto feed rifle. I am using the same steps that I use with all my bolt guns. Only neck sizing the brass for the second reloading. Just wondering if I need to full lenght resize the brass. Any help on this issue would be great thanks for the help.gun)
101Sniper

101sniper,

Take some time and pick up a ciopy of Glen Zediker's book, Handloading for Competition. Good book anyway, but he's got a pretty good collection of stuff pertaining to the reloading of gas guns in particular, and has done a great deal of writing on the M14 family. Not just another handloading job here, reloading for gas guns is a specialized game. You need to watch your headspace religiously, and gage it for every firing. Resign yourself to tossing the brass after three firings in an M14, and use brass that's intended for use in autos. LC Match is high on that list, and I recommend it highly. No bullets over 175 grains, and stick with the medium burn rates. IMR 4895, WC-750 (very similar to WW748) and Reloder 15 have all been used as factory powsders that LC match ammo has been loaded with over the years, and Reloder 15 is the powder that's currently being used in the M118LR Match rounds. The recommendation for the M34 primer is a good one, but regardless of which oneyou use, pay attentionj to making suere the primer is fully seated, and a couple thou below the case head; slam fires will ruin your whole day, seriously. There's about a ton more stuff here, but they won't all fit into a single post. Just ask if you need anything, but make sure it's from someone whose had some experience with this particular type of reloading; it ain't a bolt gun, and you can't load the same for the two!

In the meantime, I was a sniper with the 1/506th, '77-'81. Who were/are you with?

Thanks for the insite guys I will pick up that book always looking for more info to help me out. I am using LC at the moment but I think i might try some lapua. I have been using Varget But I use R-15 for my 700p with great results. thanks again guys will write again with any other problems I may have. Kevin I was with the 1/327 101st Airborne 98 -01.

RL-15 or Varget will both do a great job there. You might also check out www.usrifleteams.com for some more info on this. There's one fulltime thread on M14/M1As, and another that has a great deal on loading for competition. Lots of good insights on the specialized techniques related to these guns. There's also a link in the reloading forum there to an article in one of the earlier Sierra manuals about reloading for gas guns. You may find that one useful.

You ever shoot the 900m sniper range out on Range 2? I helped build that one while I was with 101st MTU way back when. Had a lot of good times out there and learned some valuable lessons. Used to shoot a lot on Range 14, the 600 yd KD range as well.

Ill look at that site also thanks and yes I have shot at the 900M range there shot a turkey at 724m there got my but chewed good for that. I believe that range has been streached out to 1100M now with an elevated shooting house. Atleast it was when I was there. Also spent days on that 600M KD range. Thanks again Kevin.
101sniper aka Brandon

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.