Reloading Equipment

I am just getting into reloading and was given a rock chucker supreme for Christmas this year. Now I need to buy all the other equipment I need to start reloading. Other than the shell plates, the dies, and the consumables, what will I need to get started? I'll be using both new and once fired brass until I get some stock piled. What system should I look at for the powder charge? I don't want to spend a ton of money, and two of the calibers I'll reload for are for hunting only. The other caliber I'll load will be a combination long range target and hunting rifle.

Also, how do you go about selecting the right dies for your intended application?
Buy a RCBS Chargemaster Lite. I have a Hornady's too many steps to get it triple a powder the correct amount but does work, its a back up powder charger.

Start off with a good reloading manual and READ it. It will teach you the proper steps. I'm going out on a limb to say that probably most of us started with the basics like you are doing, and advanced from there. The old Lee Loaders came in a box the size of a reloading die box and contained everything you "Need" to have in order to reload a case. As your skills advance and your need to produce more precise handloads expands, you will step up to the more precise (and expensive) tools.
TeachMe Interactive and Darrell Holland just came out with a shooting and reloading course (https://teachmeinteractive.thinkific.com/). The reloading course is very good and gets very advanced, but as a new reloader, you will learn to do things the right way. The on-line video course is 79.99, or the paper copy book is 19.99 on Amazon. I got into reloading in the late '70's and purchased this course. I've picked up on several good techniques already and I'm only 3/4's of the way through.
AND, remember: Opinions are like Rear-Ends: We all have one! Happy Loading.

Wow. This thread has given me tons of info. I spent a couple hours on midways website putting stuff in the cart that I thought I'd need. Here's what I came up with:

RCBS shell holder for 308 and 6.8SPC
Redding shell holder for 7mm weatherby
Redding deluxe 3 die set for 7mm
RCBS AR style 2 die set for 308 and 6.8
L.E. Wilson case gauge for 308 and 6.8
Starett 799 digital calipers
Lyman and Hornady reloading manual
Frankford Arsenal platinum series case trim and prep center
RCBS chargmaster 1500
RCBS 50 round loading tray
Imperial case sizing wax
RCBS rotary case tumblr

This all totals up to about $1400 or so before the rock chucker rebate. Is this a reaonable list of equipment? It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I don't want to cheap out now and have to replace something a few months down the road. Anything on this list that I could get by without that would save a substantial amount of money that I won't need in the future? Let me know your thoughts.

Wow. This thread has given me tons of info. I spent a couple hours on midways website putting stuff in the cart that I thought I'd need. Here's what I came up with:

RCBS chargmaster 1500
Imperial case sizing wax
RCBS rotary case tumblr

This all totals up to about $1400 or so before the rock chucker rebate. Is this a reaonable list of equipment? It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I don't want to cheap out now and have to replace something a few months down the road. Anything on this list that I could get by without that would save a substantial amount of money that I won't need in the future? Let me know your thoughts.

I like the LE Wilson case trimmer. You might want to consider it-their stuff is top notch

Blackdirt Cowboy, you have received a lot of advice and opinion on this thread, all good experience for the situation it was experienced in and favoring one brand or another and one technique or another resulting from various applications. Gets confusing quick.

I recommend, from my personal experience, buying and reading a couple of good reloading manuals as well as what is available online. Hornady manual is excellent at explaining the basics and safety procedures. Always follow safety practices. Some articles and videos may assume you know basic things you have not learned or practiced yet so beware of that.

Start with basic equipment, then add more as you learn what you need and how to use it. For example a person loading ammo for hunting and plinking will never need expensive neck turning and runout measuring tools a precision competition shooter would require.

Start simple with a bolt gun and 1 caliber, learn a sequence for doing you loads and never vary from it. Follow practices like never having anything but the components you are loading on the bench. No multiple powders, bullets or cases at the same time. Practice by loading 5 round lots using the same bullet and powder but adding .5 gr to the charge for each group, then go to the range and shoot group to begin learning about how much difference a small change in charge can make in accuracy.

As many posts have mentioned, most of us learn by getting basic stuff, a good manual, and learn as we go.

Whatever you decide on, get yourself one of these... It's worth the expense.

https://www.mightyarmory.com/products/copy-of-the-magnum-100-universal-decapping-die-for-all-presses

As for scales, balance beams are good to have around because they function without electricity. However, they're not quite as accurate as a digital scale when it comes down to serious precision loading down to 1/10 of a grain. If you go with a digital setup, and stick to extruded rifle powders, then I suggest the Chargemaster 1500. Pricey, but worth the investment. If you want something that's half manual and half digital, then getting a Hornady Quick-Trickle and a good digital scale like a Gempro setup where you hand trickle each charge, that's also a very precise way to go.

Dies, I prefer Redding over RCBS, but have lots of each, and they all work good. Also, a way to make precision ammo, is to buy a shell holder for each individual set of dies, and do not mix them around. This way your die set is adjusted perfectly to that shell plate, in your press. When it comes to loading precision ammo, consistency is key in every aspect.

Do yourself a favor and get some Imperial Sizing Wax, and DO NOT use Hornady One-Shot spray! That stuff will get brass stuck faster than anything. At the minimum use 98% alcohol and 12:1 lanolin mixture that you mix yourself.

Get a good set of calipers. I don't recommend skimping on money in this department... You'll find you use caliper for a lot more than just reloading. I use the Starrett 799A-6.
All I ever use is hornady one shot spray lube since they came out with it and have never had a stuck case I think it's great and does not contaminate powder but to each their own

RCBS chargmaster 1500
Imperial case sizing wax
RCBS rotary case tumblr

Blackdirt Cowboy:
Your list is looking good. Some suggestions; Starrett Calipers are a little pricey, RCBS has one that is about half the price and are very dependable, accurate. I am not familiar with the prep center you stated. You want to make sure it is capable of deburring flash holes. If not Lyman makes a good hand tool for this. You will also want a Hornady(or equivalent) Comparator body and inserts for measuring length to datum line and cartridge length to ogive. I consider case tumblers optional. I don't use mechanical case cleaners. Also mentioned previously in this thread are bullet pullers. This too may be considered optional. However they do come in handy when you discover you have your bullets set deeper than you want. You can nudge them back up and then re-set them where you want. You will find reloading is a discovery/learning process where you will eventually want to add more things that help make the process more more efficient... Like a Browning go/no go primer pocket gauge. Do enjoy.

I would add a hand priming tool to your list. I just use a lee hand primer, then also need lee priming dies. They are different than dies made for your press. I have not used other brands.

I am just getting into reloading and was given a rock chucker supreme for Christmas this year. Now I need to buy all the other equipment I need to start reloading. Other than the shell plates, the dies, and the consumables, what will I need to get started? I'll be using both new and once fired brass until I get some stock piled. What system should I look at for the powder charge? I don't want to spend a ton of money, and two of the calibers I'll reload for are for hunting only. The other caliber I'll load will be a combination long range target and hunting rifle.

Also, how do you go about selecting the right dies for your intended application?
The first thing i would buy is a book on reloading and read it and learn about how to properly reload. And then learn about the diffrent powders and safety precautions. That book will teach the basics as well as what you need then you can listen to some of the input on this forum. Start with the basics until you know what you are doing and get better at it and then you can expand from there.

Dies go with either Foerster or Redding. They seem to be much better than Lyman,Lee,RCBS and Hornady. If you're looking for a digital scale Midsouth Shooters has the RCBS Chargemaster lite on sale for $199.99 right now. Also would be wise to invest in the Hornady lock and load bullet comparator kit along with some oal cases and the tool to use the cases with. That kit can be had for around 80 bucks. I'd say forget the competition shell holders and buy a Sinclair shoulder bump gauge for your cartridges. Depending on what cartridges you have you might be able to get by with just one. They are around 10 dollars and will work with the Hornady tools I listed above. These few things here will get you in the right direction and should help you to build some sub MOA ammo fairly easy. You will also need a case trimmer which can be had for 50-100 dollars. Also you'll also need a deburring/chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner and a tumbler. Check out Frankfort arsenal for your tumbler, deburring/chamfer tool and primer pocket clearing tools. They have some of the best valued products you'll find. Hope this helps and good luck with your reloading.

If you have never reloaded I will reiterate what has been said already. Get a manual and reload per instructions full length etc and then adjust. Shoot that ammo and go from there. I used lee dies at first and still do for my AR and pistol, but I did switch out the bullet seating die because Lee can't be locked down.
Hell I have been reloading for 15 years and just now am shopping for a electric powder charge measure and some new gauge stuff. You can get by with calipers a good mechanically powder measure and balance for a long time. For AR blasting ammo (25 to 200yard cans and such) I still use a cheap Lee autocharger because +- 0.2 grains of powder doesn't mean anything for that purpose.

One item that is not mentioned is a chronograph. Caldwell has a pretty good one that works with an iphone or tablet for about $100. You don't need to set it up everytime you shoot but once a most accurate load is found, it can be used to see what actual velocity is. This can be useful for several purposes. The consistency of velocity or lack of helps you find what may be shortcomings in equipment or technique. Alos becomes very important when doping shot beyond 200-300 yds.

If you're just starting out, I wouldn't worry about a case tumbler, or the fancy electric case prep rig... just start with hand tools, and hand cleaning your cases. Doing more by hand is conducive to good case inspection, especially with that big 7mm mag. Get a good reloading book (Bergers is good) and read it multiple times.
Enjoy, and above all BE SAFE!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.