Recommend cantilever Scope Mount, please

I was just looking at MDT's one piece offering.

Something that I've come to rabidly dislike is rings with a vertical parting line. Personal preference there, I know that some prefer them.
That looks real nice! $400 bucks though. I guess you get what you pay for. Probably really solid. I noticed that it has several screws fastening the base at the rail and 6 screws per ring. Should be very solid.

IMG_1842.jpeg

I'm a big fan of LaRue mounts. I have a few LaRue QD mounts on some VX-6's and one Pulsar Thermion thermal.

I swap scopes around like girls change outfits. The two rings I use the most for this are LaRue one piece mounts and the heavy Leupold steel rings. They naver give me an ounce of trouble.

Quick story on LaRue mount.

We were hunting a Red Stag that would only come out at night. My nephew and I built a blind out of a military radio comms shelter and slept in it waiting for him.

It was a new moon. No light, and very difficult to constantly pick up the gun and look through the scope to see if the stag was at the bait, so we just detached the scope, used it as our glassing optic and threw it back on (in the dark) when it was time to shoot.

Holds Zero like a champ. Never had an issue with it shifting more than a click (1/4 MOA).

Worked like a charm.

I had the same issue on a POF 6.5 creed. I was using a vortex mount and suspected my wandering g zero may be the mount. I put a set of nightforce 1.5 inch ultralight and the problem went away.

That looks real nice! $400 bucks though. I guess you get what you pay for. Probably really solid. I noticed that it has several screws fastening the base at the rail and 6 screws per ring. Should be very solid.
What I liked about it at first sight was no lightening pockets, nooks, and crannies to make cleaning it difficult. Seems like a lot of mfg's see a CNC mill as an obligation rather than just a tool.
But, yeah, $400 is a chunk to bite off. Not that I could make it for that in my own shop.

I prefer JP, Leupold or LaRue on anything when acquiring LR accuracy. They are high quality and well engineered. I also have to ask why the need for the cantilever on that platform when straight up rings could be used. Cost less and much more stable.

Yes, when I read the title of the thread, I knew even before I opened it that it would contain numerous pics of rifles equipped with gigantic full-length pic rails...and long, big-objective scopes all clamped into short little cantilever mounts that actually gripped only a couple inches of those rails.

Those rails would allow one to achieve proper ring spacing for virtually any scope by using a set of quality rings. Why would anyone choose a cantilevered one-piece mount if they didn't absolutely need to use one?

Even in cases where a scope is being mounted on a rifle with a very short pic rail located too far to the rear to allow good eye relief...i.e. the sort of case that cantilevered mounts were designed to compensate for...I would be looking for ways to replace that set-up with a longer, properly-supported pic rail to allow the use of straight-up mounts.

Guys,

Apparently I didn't get the memo on "Buy once, Cry once" and cheaped out on my rings for this set up. I've been chasing groups around for a month, only to make the realization last evening that the base picatinny thumb View attachment 518928screws (Which had been torqued to spec with medium loctite) had worked themselves loose. These RRA straight rings have worked fine on my 5.56 rifles but not so much on the 6.5. Anyway, can somebody recommend a good cantilever mount with a more robust mounting system, say in the $150 range? The 30mm tube on the scope spans 5.4" and the current ring center is 3.0" off the center of the bore. I'd like this to be a bit lower but don't want to hamper being able to grab the charging handle. Thanks!
Not exactly what you're asking for but I've used Leupold QRW rings. Get the height that gives you good cheek weld. My experience is
40mm scopes use medium and 50mm scopes use high. HTH

If you need a cantilever mount, none of those straight mounts/rings are going to work for you.

JP Mount 34mm (I leave the front screw out because the last flat of the rail is wide and interferes with the screw - plenty secure with 4 vs 5 clamping screws).
1702331163500.png

LaRue SPR 1.5 QD 30mm rings, also has 34mm ring (it reliably returns to zero after removal/replacement)
1702331236128.png

If you need a cantilever mount, none of those straight mounts/rings are going to work for you.

JP Mount 34mm (I leave the front screw out because the last flat of the rail is wide and interferes with the screw - plenty secure with 4 vs 5 clamping screws).
View attachment 520187

LaRue SPR 1.5 QD 30mm rings, also has 34mm ring (it reliably returns to zero after removal/replacement)
View attachment 520188
I have one of those Vortex Vipers in 4 X 16 too. Mine tracks pretty well and seems to do fine.