real performance difference between 178 and 208 amax

backyardsniper

I am shooting a rem 5r 300 win mag. It shoots excellent with 208 amax and 210 bergers I shoot 178s in my 308 what is the real performance difference between a 178 from a 300 win at 3000fps and a 208 at 2800fps. I was thinking about crossing over to 178 in the 300 as well just to simplify buying supplies. I will be shooting paper mostly occasionally whitetails out to around 800yds max. The gun is in a b&c a5 and wyatts bottom metal with 10 oz rifle basix. I am using RWS brass with Rl22 and 215 primers I usually use 75.5 for bullets in the 180 class but am a little leary of working up that high this brass has a very small internal capacity. If anyone has experience with this particular brass i would appreciate any info you have. I am sitting on 300 cps of it i would like to use it to its full potential i hear it is good stuff.
thanks

Nothing to 800yds. Go beyond that then, you will want to stick with the 208's. Though I have a feeling the 178's will perform admirably to 950yds.

Tank

The answer to your question can be easily answered with a ballistics program. Just plug in all the relevant data - bullet weight, BC, velocity, cross wind speed. Then run the numbers for both. Watch for differences in trajectory, energy and wind deflection.

Liltank is probably right that you will probably see little difference between the loads until you get past 800.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.