Read and give your input

Very good info, especially for someone like me relatively new to experimenting with long range performance. Thank you

Last edited:
Good article. I have been saying this here for many years that my goal is, and always has been, to use a cartridge and rifle to achieve a minimum of 3,000fps for the bullet selected, more velocity, is of course better. We don't really shoot for a mile here, although we do a few 1600 metre shoots, but I shoot 1000 metres and 2000 metres in competition.
I try to get as much velocity as I can for this, but, and this is fundamental for me, I have to stick with action sizes that max out at 416 Rigby size. Going to CheyTac and other large cartridges becomes a red tape hassle here.

Cheers.

Great article. Thanks for sharing. Author does well in conveying his points and I believe we have all noticed the truth in his statements, given the parameters he outlines.

Gotta wonder if there's a compromise obtained by using small(er) cases, longer barrels, and slower powders, e.g., a .308 in a 28" barrel. By the time folks run muzzle brakes and especially suppressors, that 20" barrel sticks out 28" or more. A 28" .308 should have about the same velocity with the same bullets as a .300 Win Mag with a 22" barrel, but less blast and recoil.

The article was a good read. Many of our members chase extreme velocity. Velocity is one of the data points that can be easily measured with the equipment we have available today. I appreciate efficiency in cartridges that will give me close to 3000 fps with a suitable bullet. If I was able to routinely shoot at true LR or ELR, my preferences would probably be different.

Recent Posts