Want Your Input! New Stock Design

I have 5 shaped like this. All of them are either euro walnut, black walnut or maple. The next one I do will be laminated wood. I did the stock shown from a roughed out blank, inletted, then final shaped it, .22-.250, about 15 years old. Not shown is a slight amount of camber to help eye to line up with scope. Stock pitch is slightly down, high comb - a really comfortable stock. I spent less than $65 including pad salvaged from other rifle. Forend tip made from cherry wood salvaged from departed parent's bedroom set. I like wood, despite its vulnerability to scratches, dents & oil absorption - final shaping easy to do with wood rasp.

IMG_2391.JPG

Carbon All Terrain style. Thin in the wrist like it is. Too many pistol style grips out there. Us traditional style guys don't want that right angle feel. It's more tactical than hunting feel.

Remove the Monte Carlo style cheek piece and put an adjustable style cheek riser.
That's my 2 cents.

I own 4 CAT stocks. Love the feel.

Brad Wyard

Something similar to the Weatherby Camilla for our wife's!!!! They should have access to quality carbon stocks that fit them well too!

The Camilla shape works on the premise that women will like the way it feels when shouldering due to how it enables an upright head position due to the comb being so high above the heel. They dont have to bend their neck as much for a cheek weld on the comb. The problem is that much drop at heel magnifies muzzle rise because the resistance to recoil is so far below the bore line. That means the comb of the rifle will recoil harder up into the shooters cheek weld. Since the market seems to focus more on how something feels when shouldering vs how it manages recoil and aids in making good shots, people buy this stuff.

A better solution would be zero drop at heel and a higher comb which would still allow an upright head position. A possible tradeoff is the need to mount optics higher which isn't a negative outside of people maybe not having higher rings already on hand.

Carbon fiber with negative comb (~8 degree), nearly vertical grip, slightly shorter trigger reach, molded in grip texture, and flat forend that one could put an arca rail on the size of their choice from the magwell forward. Sub 30oz. Or, basically a ClymR.