RCBS Primer tray.....keeping the lid secure hack?

KyleC

I have several RCBS primer trays......the square green ones.....basically one for each primer I use. My OCD is trying to find a way to keep the lids secure. Currently using large rubber bands. Thought about using binder clips but afraid the strong tension might eventually crack the plastic. Has anyone found a DIY hack for keeping the lids secure so the slightest bump doesn't send the primers flying all over the bench?

I have several RCBS primer trays......the square green ones.....basically one for each primer I use. My OCD is trying to find a way to keep the lids secure. Currently using large rubber bands. Thought about using binder clips but afraid the strong tension might eventually crack the plastic. Has anyone found a DIY hack for keeping the lids secure so the slightest bump doesn't send the primers flying all over the bench?
I do all my priming over an anti-static mat, often on my dining table, because it is more comfortable. However, I prefer standing up when reloading on the bench. I have a separate table for brass prep and other processes, but it is currently overwhelmed with other stuff. 🤣

I have about 4/5 priming tools, but if I have to worry about securing the lid, I will replace it, but that's just me, and I am not OCD. :cool:

1718807223596.png

Last edited:
Primers are non-magnetic, so a small rare earth magnet glued to each half would probably be the ticket. Just remember to get the polarity correct before gluing them...

I use a couple pieces of painters tape
Yep 100% agree, keep a roll of that orange Frogtape 24mm X 55M around 1/2 dozen rolls for $13 bucks, it's amazing how many uses a guy can find for it. The 3M boys have several colors blue, yellow, green and each has a timeline, and a certain power of stick, they work well.

I use a couple pieces of painters tape
This. In your situation.

I use used containers like a small vitamin bottles to house primers I’m not using. Never had an issue with this method. When I need that size primer, I pour them into my RCBS hand primer tray and go to town. I label the top of the container with what primer it is. That tape gets transferred to the hand primer when they live there.

This. In your situation.

I use used containers like a small vitamin bottles to house primers I'm not using. Never had an issue with this method. When I need that size primer, I pour them into my RCBS hand primer tray and go to town. I label the top of the container with what primer it is. That tape gets transferred to the hand primer when they live there.
I think he's talking about the actual trays for the hand primer and not storage. I think lol.

I agree the lids are less than ideal for these. My OCD only allows me to put as many primers on the tray as I'm going to load that many pieces of brass. I try to do multiples of 10 and only slide the carton open that far as to only let that many out on the flip. If not even 10, I use tweezers to put them back in the carton tray if that makes any sense.

I prime with a Sinclair priming tool. I think the magnet idea will work perfectly as there is a molded circle on the bottom that will fit a 6mm magnet. So I'll just glue the other magnet to the inside of the lid.

Attachments

• rc_09480-primertray2.jpg
    rc_09480-primertray2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 10
go to hardware store and get small bolt with proper wingnut. drill hole through the tray glue bolt into base and tighten wingnut on lid just like most vibratory case tumblers.
cheap/easy and last forever.

Recent Posts