Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

You are welcome pretty much everyone here tries to be helpful to others. There are a few people that try to criticize others but not very many and they tend to see before long that others are just trying to be helpful or are asking for help with some aspect that they aren't up on yet, it's a good group of people here.

When I was younger, I applied for a job and had to take a physical that included an audio exam. They ran the test then called me back into the room to repeat the test two more times. Finally, an older audiologist came in and visited with me. He didn't have me get into the soundproof room, but he stood behind me and asked me to tell him when I heard the sounds by signaling with my hands. He told me in the end they thought that you weren't being truthful and were just pushing the button, you hear frequencies that most people can't hear in but are in the range that dogs hear in. My grandson has the same range of hearing. Be it a gift or a curse I don't know both I think at times.

I was clueless about other people my age not hearing the same as me and was out with a couple of guys hunting coyotes one morning. We parked on the backside of a ridge and slipped through a saddle, set up in some rocks and tall sagebrush that was around three feet tall. I let out a series of howls and had some coyotes answer me up in a deep creek bed about a mile off. I said there they are over in that draw, but both of the others said what how do you know that. I looked at them and said don't you hear them howling back at me. No! are you sure you heard them. I gave them a few more howls and they got quite so I told them to be ready they were coming in. Pretty soon the coyotes showed up down in the bottom coming our way, I hissed at the guys and nodded in the direction of the coyotes. The pair came to within about 75 yards as was prearranged they sighted in on their coyotes that were on their respective side, gave their signal and fired at close to the same time. They sat there and asked me how did you hear those coyotes we didn't. I said I guess that I'm just used to listening for them. But after a few more instances similar to that one I figured that maybe I could just hear better than other people, or that I knew what I was listening for and they didn't, or they just weren't paying attention.

A couple of steak knives nearly finished; they have purple heart wood scales on their handles. They aren't as sharp as they will be but are sharp enough that the blades need tape on them while I'm working on them. They are made of 52-100 bearing steel. Then a couple of LEB-E stainless steel kitchen knives coming out of crio and getting to room temp for the heat to 350 F and held for 2 hours than quenched in cold water before the finish grinding and scales being installed. These will get the live oak scales. The smaller blade in the background is for a Kershaw spring assisted opening folding knife, it too is made from 52-100 bearing steel, and will be carried by me for awhile.

Attachments

• IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 33
Hello all
I drove down a road to get to a Dr. appointment Wednesday morning and there was on a few deer road kills but no Yotes. I dove down the same way today and saw THREE really nice large body/long haired (red, brown, grey, black) colored Yotes on the side of the road that were hit by vehicles. It was between 3 & 8 miles from our home. Wish I could have shot them for the fur. They were some of the best looking Yotes. It has to be around the peak of their mating season. I notice the same thing with the Rut and also with Beavers on road kills.
Anyone else noticing the mating season going on?

I need to get out and start calling at night and also put some bait stations out. We have a chest freezer with meats/fish that went bad from a power outage, but got them re-froze. Some of the few places that we have for yote hunting are wooded areas and not open terrain. Probably be good to wire some meats to a tree so they can't be drug off.
Wish I felt a little better. I saw my Neurosurgeon on Wednesday and after reviewing all my latest MRIs and X-Rays he told me that there was nothing he could do to help me. Now I guess I will go to Atlanta or possibly get some Neurosurgeons from the Mayo Clinic or a University to take my case on. Another thing is if they will take my case to learn from my issues and not charge $$$$$$$s.

I'm not sure what they can do for you at this time, but I am sure there are some more options out there Coyote Shadow Tracker. Hoping and saying a prayer for the best for you and yours. Yes, it is midway through the breeding season. I had a guy tell me that he and another guy had called in five coyotes that sat down out at around 500 yards and just kind of barked at them now and then, last week. My money would be on it being one female in heat with four males vying for her, especially as the last 9 I killed 7 of them were males. The last few that he had killed were all males as well. Their fur is probably broken or singed at this time as well. Their hips will show spots that are shorter in a circle where they set on them, it gets broken from that or freezing in the snow and ice here, and the white fur on their bellies will be curled as if it had been exposed to heat or a low flame. Some of the older healthy females will cycle earlier then the younger females. I have taken dens with newborn pups from the first part of April till mid-June. Alot depends on the age and health of the females as to when they cycle from what I have seen, it's spread out over a period of time some years.

I'm not sure what they can do for you at this time, but I am sure there are some more options out there Coyote Shadow Tracker. Hoping and saying a prayer for the best for you and yours. Yes, it is midway through the breeding season. I had a guy tell me that he and another guy had called in five coyotes that sat down out at around 500 yards and just kind of barked at them now and then, last week. My money would be on it being one female in heat with four males vying for her, especially as the last 9 I killed 7 of them were males. The last few that he had killed were all males as well. Their fur is probably broken or singed at this time as well. Their hips will show spots that are shorter in a circle where they set on them, it gets broken from that or freezing in the snow and ice here, and the white fur on their bellies will be curled as if it had been exposed to heat or a low flame. Some of the older healthy females will cycle earlier then the younger females. I have taken dens with newborn pups from the first part of April till mid-June. Alot depends on the age and health of the females as to when they cycle from what I have seen, it's spread out over a period of time some years.
We enjoy reading your Posts and information!!!!
We don't have to worry about the Snow/Ice messing with the hair at this time of the year here in GA. Not to say that we do occasionally get a snow storm every once in a while. It was in the low teens last week and now up to the 70s. well we got until March for some snow storms.
I should have stopped and taken picture of the roadkill, but it was on a two-lane road and lots of traffic. From what I saw driving past they were good looking Yotes. When I was coming back home, I tried to drive slow to where I thought I saw them. Had some vehicles on my rear bumper when driving past them. No shoulder to pull over on. We have a lot of activity in our back property, but all thick woods. Then another several hundred acre with low land timber/brush next to the new reservoir and a Power line, but only a 100yd of clear shooting.
I really am not a picture taker BUT need to start so I can post some of the nice looking animals. I only will take a good picture like they were a live and posing. we don't care for the bloody , guts, eyeballs out of the head pictures. we try to make them look like they are posing. given the beautiful animal so dignity. We try to keep any animal we harvest in their true animal POSE so people can see what they really look like.
Hope you get to feeling better Mr. Len

Thanks

Buck
Thank you!

When I was younger, I applied for a job and had to take a physical that included an audio exam. They ran the test then called me back into the room to repeat the test two more times. Finally, an older audiologist came in and visited with me. He didn't have me get into the soundproof room, but he stood behind me and asked me to tell him when I heard the sounds by signaling with my hands. He told me in the end they thought that you weren't being truthful and were just pushing the button, you hear frequencies that most people can't hear in but are in the range that dogs hear in. My grandson has the same range of hearing. Be it a gift or a curse I don't know both I think at times.
Interesting. As a kid I always wondered what the neighbor's "silent dog whistle" was about. Later, there was a store I would occasionally enter, and their airlock entry was excruciating for me to enter. I later learned the emitter for their silent alarm was in there, and since it was "silent" they never turned it off. Same problem in a gun shop in Houston years later. There were places in that store that I could not bear to stand in. And with the big color TVs with CRTs, I could tell where the TV section in a big department store was as soon as I walked in the door. Now, decades later I am still super sensitive to sounds.

"Be it a gift or a curse I don't know both I think at times." Agree. But useful at times. Maybe one time was when I didn't step in front of a rattlesnake I may have heard move slightly.

I'm not a fan of gory pictures myself, there is enough of that in the world. Yes, it's interesting to listen to bugs walking in leaves and grass as well as the sound that snakes make as the crawl through the dry grass or leaves. I enjoy watching fox and coyotes looking and listening when they are trying to pinpoint the small animals and bugs in the grass out in front of them, getting a kind of puzzled look on their face and turning their head to lock in on the exact location on the sounds.

I'm not a fan of gory pictures myself, there is enough of that in the world. Yes, it's interesting to listen to bugs walking in leaves and grass as well as the sound that snakes make as the crawl through the dry grass or leaves. I enjoy watching fox and coyotes looking and listening when they are trying to pinpoint the small animals and bugs in the grass out in front of them, getting a kind of puzzled look on their face and turning their head to lock in on the exact location on the sounds.
It is fun to read what is going on near them through watching them listening intently!

6 ARC ARC
I really like everything I've real about the 6 ARC. But I've yet to see a rifle or ammo for sale at any the the 4 different shows I attend on a regular basis. It doesn't look like that caliber is going to "catch fire" any time in the near future, and it seems that the lack of availability will prevent it from becoming a dominant choice in the future. It will be a ling time before I'll buy one.