Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Back to this, study this snare situation. You have a low fence and this coyote could crawl thru this 12" staged wire anywhere knee high and up, . He had a well disguised lengthy crawl hole thru this erosion control apron. Always look close for sign, its there, keep the sun in your favor (to your back) and look for the hair to shine.
#1 M Low 40's and same hole #2 M solid 45# Keep in mind this is in the sheep.
1706269972833.jpeg

1706270530998.jpeg

This is for the people that knew this man.
I salute you sir

This is for the people that knew this man.
I salute you sir
Sorry for your loss Trapper. Sounds like he was a true gentleman and sportsman. Went out with his boots on for sure.

trapper1954 sorry for the loss of your friend. Yes, crawl unders can be well hidden, in my country as well. Sometimes where the fence goes through a low place and hasn't been pulled down and anchored down well you will see only a slight trail in the grass, with our grass being short to start with it can be hard to see but once you know what they look like it stands out for you fairly well. With the smooth wire on a woven wire fence at times you won't see much fur left on the wire but on barbed wire there will be fur left on a barb. Antelope and deer will also leave under fur on a barb, so you need to learn the difference in it. Tracks in the dust and some surrounding areas help in that as well. Here most times it's young deer that crawl under a fence the adults jump over but an antelope will crawl under a fence even when they could easily jump it. The size of the hole, when it's been dug out tells a story as well. Rabbits and badgers don't need as big a hole as a fox or coyote does. I have seen crawl unders that were near or under where a sage brush was growing beside of the fence and well-hidden after years of use. New crawl unders are often seen because of the clean dirt and its rougher appearance, a well-aged one with hard packed smooth dirt can be well disguised by the ageing process. I have had well trained coyotes see my sets and then dig a new crawl under close to the older ones. That is one of reasons that I like to use well dulled snare cables with no shine to them, locks that slide well and fast, and as little amount of metal on my snares as I can. But there again that is me and what works for me. If it shines in the sun light it will shine in the moon light as well and any movement of it will enhance the chance of it being seen, the same as your watch band and crystal or glass's lens, the lens on your scope ect. . Again, I like to think about being in the field as if I were the one being hunted and keep as low a profile as I can. But here again that's just me and what works for me.

I think that’s the IR flash based on the lack of color in the photo.

Unfortunately, most Trail Camera builders use IR Illuminators in the 840-850nm wavelength range. All this does is hide it from human eyes, not animal eyes. Animals such as deer and most predators see up to about 880nm so the IR flash to them is just like a regular flash to us.
On some of the cheaper trail cams the IR illuminators glow all the time.
When it comes to electronics, you get what you pay for.

Ed

Do they all have laminated jaws added to them? The jump trap that is set has had the jaw tips turned up. They both have had spacers added to the jaws so that they are off set, it looks like the inner edge of them may have been filed some to knock the sharp edge off of them and keep from cutting the skin and damage to the animal. Good collectors but very usable if you want to. I'm not up on trial cameras I still do the tracking and sign reading with my eyes and haven't spent money on them. All tools have their time and place.