Questions for the Chassis Gang

PR-
So is it pure irony your photo in your tag line is a chassis?

Your point about Aluminum changing with temp makes perfect sense to me.
I carried a Savage 99 for over 30 years and gosh was that a cold bear!

And "wallet groups" that is hilarious! Guy in camp who "shoots wings off flies" can't hit a bull in the *** just shooting around camp.

"targets smaller than car doors"?
I've never been so lucky. We shot at buffalo shaped targets in Colorado that were the size of a Labrador retriever out to 1554 yds. 2MOA would be generous size targets at any of the east coast PRS matches.

You don't see many chassis rifles at benchrest matches because of the rules.

I get it, you don't like a chassis, but don't try and distort the facts to your favor for arguments sake.

So is it pure irony your photo in your tag line is a chassis?
That is not a chassis. That is a KMW Sentinel.

You don't see many chassis rifles at benchrest matches because of the rules.

I get it, you don't like a chassis, but don't try and distort the facts to your favor for arguments sake.
And F-class? 1.5 to 2moa targets are the norm at most matches. I know this, because I've been present when targets were smaller and got to listen to everyone that wasn't from the upper midwest complain to no end about how "unreasonably small" the targets were when they are 1MOA.

I tried to like chassis. Probably more than I've tried to like anything else in this discipline. Ergonomically they are awesome. Mechanically, regarding the things that make rifles shoot... they are horrific. The fact is, Chassis rifles don't shoot as small as composites or even un-bedded Foundations. That IS the fact. I have tried to use nearly every chassis in existence at some point or another. Including the original AICS, which is where I first discovered the problem of chassis. I had it skim bedded, and that helped... but the problems did not go away entirely. All new chassis (so far) are plagued by the exact same issue. The issue, well known by many chassis manufacturers, which is indicated by their own admission as they are working toward solving it with newer yet-to-be-released designs. Other companies which will be entering the space within the next year with their own chassis designs also know of the issue and have patents pending as well as spins on older tech in an attempt to solve it.

We'll see if they are successful. Until then... I challenge anyone to show up with a chassis fired off bipod and rear bag and put 50 rounds fired across a day, to include early morning temps to afternoon heat, and keep those 50 shots as small and as close to POI as I can with my composite rigs.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I look at all the builds on here and I see a growing percentage using chassis on their hunting rifles. What I want to know is was it love at first shot or did you have to acclimate to them?

I love the utility of a chassis and the simplicity of changing things up, but for the life of me I can't feel comfortable behind one! I've tried MPA as well as MDT and ended up selling both. Is it just some shooters do not get along with chassis? How do you all fall on the chassis issue? Do I need to just push through and stick with it long enough or is there not enough gain to justify leaving conventional stocks?
hi... I go moose with my tac21 300 winmag.. heavy .. yes.... but I feel more comfortable at longest shot over 400 yards.. so for me is yes..
I end up using a ruger rpr in 6.5 for deer... and now even a 300 win mag rpr .. why same caliber as the tac21? the twist!! whit 1:9 I can finally stabilize the 225 230 250 gn.. I'm in love with chassis.. and I still bring with me a ligth toy the keltec 9mm.. semi..
the precision that I have with chassis because if the recoil pattern and the weigth.. is not like the regular stock.. but this js my 2 cents opinion..
lots of us will say but chassis are bulky. and heavy.. true. but anyway the way we hunt in quebec.. even a shotgun is enough.... the chassis hunter want to go where no one want lol..

That is not a chassis. That is a KMW Sentinel.

And F-class? 1.5 to 2moa targets are the norm at most matches. I know this, because I've been present when targets were smaller and got to listen to everyone that wasn't from the upper midwest complain to no end about how "unreasonably small" the targets were when they are 1MOA.

I tried to like chassis. Probably more than I've tried to like anything else in this discipline. Ergonomically they are awesome. Mechanically, regarding the things that make rifles shoot... they are horrific. The fact is, Chassis rifles don't shoot as small as composites or even un-bedded Foundations. That IS the fact. I have tried to use nearly every chassis in existence at some point or another. Including the original AICS, which is where I first discovered the problem of chassis. I had it skim bedded, and that helped... but the problems did not go away entirely. All new chassis (so far) are plagued by the exact same issue. The issue, well known by many chassis manufacturers, which is indicated by their own admission as they are working toward solving it with newer yet-to-be-released designs. Other companies which will be entering the space within the next year with their own chassis designs also know of the issue and have patents pending as well as spins on older tech in an attempt to solve it.

We'll see if they are successful. Until then... I challenge anyone to show up with a chassis fired off bipod and rear bag and put 50 rounds fired across a day, to include early morning temps to afternoon heat, and keep those 50 shots as small and as close to POI as I can with my composite rigs.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

"The fact is, Chassis rifles don't shoot as small as composites or even un-bedded Foundations. That IS the fact. "

Rail guns prove that YOU shouldn't be stating anything as fact.

I get that you are talking about consistency through temperature, but you're not choosing your words very wisely.

I suppose if I only shot from prone using a bipod or "vice on legs" a non-traditional robot stock could work.

However, as a hunter, the details of the moment frequently dictate shooting position and possibility of use of a field expedient shooting support or not.

I've yet to find a chassis that handles well in off-hand, sitting and kneeling positions gotten into hastily for that brief moment game is both present and in an orientation for an ethical shot.

If fit is an issue, make/have made a stock fit to you modeled after the Winchester 70's classic "American Straight Stock." I think you'd be very happy with the functional result.

Rail guns prove that YOU shouldn't be stating anything as fact.
Ignoring for a moment that rail guns aren't built ANYTHING like traditional rifles. They mostly run barrel block setups and floating actions, which is reversed from what every other traditional setup is.... Show me one instance where rail guns are being shot where sighters aren't being used.

I'll wait.

Go talk to an accomplished rail gun shooter and ask him if he'd fire for record, cold, with no sighters... just after taking his rail gun out of a 70f house and shooting in a 100f condition.

Are you going to accept my challenge? ... or are you just going to sit here on the internet trying to claim I'm the one that doesn't know what he's talking about?

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I have a love/hate relationship with chassis. I love the modularity of them and being able to add and take accessories off without drilling holes all over the place. Ambi chassis are also awesome when your a lefty like me. I feel like I shoot slightly better with them in awkward positions.

The dislikes: they are COLD when hunting and your packing the rifle long distances in your hands. They don't carry well on a sling, sounds trivial but if your packing your rifle miles it starts to get annoying. I have tried about every sling position and moving flush cups around etc and still haven't found a comfortable way to sling.

All things being equal I feel like recoil is slightly sharper with a chassis. No hard facts on this whatsoever, imo just the metal to metal to metal contact makes felt recoil sharper. My final complaint is bag riders, haven't found a chassis yet that rides a rear bag like a well designed stock.

I carried a chassis for a few hunts last fall and ended up going back to stock. I'll probably miss the chassis in a year or two and take another swing with them for hunting. 77C574C8-3AC6-4E44-B1D2-68689906E03D.png

I also own rifles with both a chassis stock and older stocks. In my opinion as others have also stated, chassis are great for range shooting or hunting out of a shooting house, but not so much for stalk hunting. I can't rapidly pull a chassis up to my shoulder and rapidly make it fit/align to shoot an animal as I can with an older stock. I also like the angled hand grip of the older stocks better than the straight grip stocks for rapid acquisition of game. The straight grip throws me off. I like the adjustability of stocks like Savage or Manners which can have thumb shelves, etc., but still have the angled grip. The angled grip has been around for a couple of centuries and there are more rifles with that angled grip than without for some good reason. I'm sure the straight grip was tried 200 years ago also and the angled grip became the standard. The traditional angled grip just points better for me like a shotgun stock points easy and quick.

Last edited:
I look at all the builds on here and I see a growing percentage using chassis on their hunting rifles. What I want to know is was it love at first shot or did you have to acclimate to them?

I love the utility of a chassis and the simplicity of changing things up, but for the life of me I can't feel comfortable behind one! I've tried MPA as well as MDT and ended up selling both. Is it just some shooters do not get along with chassis? How do you all fall on the chassis issue? Do I need to just push through and stick with it long enough or is there not enough gain to justify leaving conventional stocks?
I have a 6xc in a MPA comp chassis. Its ok, the chassis that is, love the 6xc cartridge. But I think I might try a Foundation next. Or maybe a McMillan but probably a Foundation. The MPA is decent, I might try bedding it idk. I get half moa barely after a barrel tuner went on. One thing is it takes some getting used to the thumb rest on a MPA. Newbies always want to rap the stock with thier thumb. I stopped that years ago, I just rest my thumb against the stock. And the MPA vertical grip is slightly off center to the thumb rest side which takes getting used to as well.

i have half a dozen rifles in chassis, all target/competition rifle. i have one rifle with both. when i hunt with it the conventional stock goes on. i for myself do not like a chassis for hunting. my 2 cents