Question about shot brass

okay I'll try make this more clear. It has nothing to do with chambering a round. They all chamber great. The neck once fired is expanding .003". There's definitely no significant neck tension once fired as I can insert a bullet by hand it's just a bit tighter then some of my other rifles. The lapua brass is thick and only allows .003 neck expansion. It's a mechanical ejector so it's not denting the neck as all. I am moving on to other things as my smith says .003 is enough clearance. I may try some adg brass as it's a few thousandths smaller in the neck diameter or possibly get the stuff to turn the necks down a few thousandths to be sure its not an issue. First I'm trying another bullet or two.

Look the Lapua brass is very good brass, and you can't go wrong there. It's tighter chamber in the neck area was done by the reamer. Lapua Brass the volume area are very close to the same from case to case, if not the same. You have gone another steps by getting Lapua Brass. You have a tighter chamber and that a good thing. So you need to cut the necks for thickness. There are steps to do that with once firer brass. It's better to cut the necks with unfired brass to start with. Need to read up on how to do the process to cut the necks to thickness. The other is why you are so worried about be able to put a bullet back into a fired case before going through the process of re-sizing the case? I would far more concerned of what my spring-back is after sizing the case for neck tension.

Look the Lapua brass is very good brass, and you can't go wrong there. It's tighter chamber in the neck area was done by the reamer. Lapua Brass the volume area are very close to the same from case to case, if not the same. You have gone another steps by getting Lapua Brass. You have a tighter chamber and that a good thing. So you need to cut the necks for thickness. There are steps to do that with once firer brass. It's better to cut the necks with unfired brass to start with. Need to read up on how to do the process to cut the necks to thickness. The other is why you are so worried about be able to put a bullet back into a fired case before going through the process of re-sizing the case? I would far more concerned of what my spring-back is after sizing the case for neck tension.
Because if there not enough room for expansion then I would need to neck turn and I don't want to unless I have to and if there's not enough room for expansion it will show up when you try to slip an bullet into a fired case. This has nothing to do with neck tension.

When you fire the rifle. The case expands, there by releasing the bullet and sealing off the chamber, otherwise you would have blowback into your face. Then the brass retract or spring back some after that. If it didn't you wouldn't be able to get the case out of the action. I believe that you said that you was not showing high pressure signs. Sound like you need to do some reading on how brass cases acts or reacts, being used as a rifle or pistol case. This is all you will hear from me.

When you fire the rifle. The case expands, there by releasing the bullet and sealing off the chamber, otherwise you would have blowback into your face. Then the brass retract or spring back some after that. If it didn't you wouldn't be able to get the case out of the action. I believe that you said that you was not showing high pressure signs. Sound like you need to do some reading on how brass cases acts or reacts, being used as a rifle or pistol case. This is all you will hear from me.
How much spring back do you think there's is after it's fired?

I wasn't thinking about contraction after being fired even though I know brass does this. My main concern was it was too tight of a neck. I know that's kinda a sign the reamer may have been a bit too worn out. I've worked through it though and understand everything is ok. Just wanted to be certain I didn't have a neck/brass clearance issue causing problems before I burn up a bunch of components.

I don't know. I ask the other day what the neck O.D was after the case is loaded. I ask what the neck was ID after resizing the case, and before you place a bullet into the case. It would help tell us what's going on some. The brass case fill the chamber at time of firing the round. It springs back instantly, how much I don't know, but had to enough to allow the case to be extracted from the chamber. We talk about heavy lift bolts here. That because there was to much chamber pressure because of to much powder or other problems. That means something wrong. Beside our smith should have test fired the rifle before handing it to you.
The others the tight neck is really from a wore out reamer or that part of the reamer was reduce to create a tighter neck area for more control expansion in the neck area. Most match shooter I believe cut there case necks and use a tighter chamber for more accuracies from their rifle.
Presently I am have a rifle being built that has a tighten neck I.D. opening. I have to trim my neck down to .0125" to allow for expansion. You don't want to go below .012" for neck thickness.

Check the neck OD at the top and again near the center of the neck. If you're getting crap built up (carbon) in the chamber it will increase in OD as you measure closer to the shoulder. Do you have a bore scope? If the chamber in the neck area is gtg then you really don't have a problem that requires attention IMO.

Check the neck OD at the top and again near the center of the neck. If you're getting crap built up (carbon) in the chamber it will increase in OD as you measure closer to the shoulder. Do you have a bore scope? If the chamber in the neck area is gtg then you really don't have a problem that requires attention IMO.
Yeah, I've eliminated the issue being a too tight of neck in the chamber. I appreciate everyone's help. I've loaded some other projectiles to try. I'm thinking that this rifle just doesn't like this particular bullet. It shoots it pretty poor along with marginal es/sd

Went out today and shot this group with some 190 vld hunting bullets I had laying around. This is 3 shots of 74, 3 of 74.5 and 1 75 gr for 7 shots total at 100 yards. These are like .130" off the lands btw. These are the only 7 I've shot through this rifle. I think I may have found a load! Winds were terrible and blowing us around a good bit also.

Attachments

• C730CBB5-941D-44F5-BE25-05F05BA5A060.jpeg
    C730CBB5-941D-44F5-BE25-05F05BA5A060.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 53
It looks like on of the 74 or 74.5 grs are a good load. I fail to understand why you didn't shoot the 3 shoot groups at different targets. Or do you know which load group was the 3 shot cluster?

It looks like on of the 74 or 74.5 grs are a good load. I fail to understand why you didn't shoot the 3 shoot groups at different targets. Or do you know which load group was the 3 shot cluster?
It was the end of my session and I honestly didn't expect it to shoot this well. You would understand if you were there haha. It was windy to the point of moving us around as the shooters so we were having to time our shots. I wouldn't have went but I had a buddy come from another state for me to do some loading for his new seekins and then go shoot. I just shot at the same target because the rest of my target was shot up and I didn't want to dial my scope because I like to see if there's any shift in poi when going up in charge weight. There's no doubt this combo will be a sub half min load. I don't really intend on shooting 190 grain bullets but whatever works. I've got some 205 and 245 bergers elites ordered up and will be getting some 200 gr hybrids today in the mail along with my bushing die/bushing.

Recent Posts