Quest for a Mile- 300 Win Mag

Just ran a couple quick calcs based off my 7 saum. At 65 degrees for what it is worth. Only changed elevation.

@1000 feet transonic around 1850 yards
@11,500 feet transonic around 2700 yards

I am outside staining and did this really quick but it should be right. Only changed elevation

Just to give you another example at 10k feet elevation your car loses about 30 percent of its horsepower. Well unless forced induction engine.

I wonder how right Techy is? I live at 560m (1840 feet) and shoot form that height to 925m (3030 feet) on my place and have never noticed a difference, but now in shooting plus 800m upto 1300m (1420 feet) maybe ill have to keep it in mind. Especially since my 800m range is at 560m and the 1300m range is at about 750m.

Anyone know how to calc this?

It is in most ballistic calculators.

Also it is not really linear (atmospheric thining). So you wouldn't notice as big of a difference at the elevations you mentioned. Farther you shoot it comes more into play

I shot a match that went out to 2K from 1K in 100 yard increments. The 300WMs did fine out to 1600 yards (700ft elevation). At 1700 they were getting squirrely, worse at 1800, but a couple guys notched a high enough score for the mile club. But they were far outclassed by the 338s which made 2K with steam to spare.

If I didn't have my 338 I'd have no issues shooting my 300WM to a mile. But it is really on the edge if you are shooting for real purposes and not just land an occasional hit on steel. We were shooting at a 1000yd f-class target all the way out and there was a minimum score to move out.

I regularly shoot our long range match out to 1 mile with my 300WM. Just got back from a 5 day camp out with a bunch of gun guys. I shot a 3 shot 14" group at 1760yards. Elevation 4430, DA 7260. Shooting 210 Nosler ABLR in front of RETUMBO @ 2970 FPS. Have also competed and hit with 230 Bergers. Starting to load some 225 Hornaday's but have not tweaked the load yet. 26" Bartlien barrel.

I have a 300 win mag and it's one of the guns I use for my ELR classes here in Texas. It built on a Defiance Deviant action, 26" Proof Carbon fiber barrel, JCS Composite stock and Calvin Elite trigger. It has. BDL bottom metal because I use the stick to hunt with also! I currently shoot it at 30"x30" Mile Targets at least 3x's a week. It has probably hit the mile target at least 300 times with this current barrel.
My load is:
Norma Brass
Berger 215 Hybrid Match bullet
75gr of H1000 = 2940fps
Fed 215M primers
SD 4 ES 7
Anneal after every round!
The round is just at Transonic but will still group within 1 MOA with descent enviorment factors

There ya go, a fella by the name of Mile Shot shoots a .300 WinMag to a mile as the norm...doesn't get any more endorsement than that!:D

Mileshotj,
Sounds like you live in a wonderful place my friend!

new member and gonna start with been there done that.
whittington center magnum rifle match is steel from 875 to 2023 yards.
target 8 is at 1790 yards. in three relays, with single shots i hit the target.
rifle is a 300 win mag. specifically a copy of a navy SEAL mk13 sniper rifle.
mk248mod1 ammo is 220 smk at 2850. i currently use berger 230's with reloader
26 at 2918 fps. bbl is only 26.5 plus a 9" thunderbeast .
so yes it can be done, it aint hard.

You can use what ever you care to use I only mentioned what I am capable of doing with my 300wm ....I may be new to the blog but I've been a sniper for 33 yrs and shoot the mile targets with my weapons 30-40 times a week and reach out to 3700k regularly.

You can use what ever you care to use I only mentioned what I am capable of doing with my 300wm ....I may be new to the blog but I've been a sniper for 33 yrs and shoot the mile targets with my weapons 30-40 times a week and reach out to 3700k regularly.
Gotta admit that I'm jealous! When I retire from the military in a few years my plan is to move out west so I can live such a dream!

As long as you can read the wind and mirage, you shouldn't have that big of a problem hitting your target a 1-mile with a 300 Win. Mag..

I say that, because I do the same thing with a custom 300 Weatherby Magnum. Shooting a 2 foot square piece of steel is not that big of a deal under "the right conditions". The right conditions to me, is a cool day with temperatures between 40 and 60 degrees, no wind, no mirage and good cloud cover. Granted, I don't get a lot of "perfect" days like that, but when I do, I am definitely sending some lead down range! Nothing less than a thousand yards, and all the way out to the 1-mile marker!
What loads - recipe are you using in your 300 why?

I have a 300 win mag and it's one of the guns I use for my ELR classes here in Texas. It built on a Defiance Deviant action, 26" Proof Carbon fiber barrel, JCS Composite stock and Calvin Elite trigger. It has. BDL bottom metal because I use the stick to hunt with also! I currently shoot it at 30"x30" Mile Targets at least 3x's a week. It has probably hit the mile target at least 300 times with this current barrel.
My load is:
Norma Brass
Berger 215 Hybrid Match bullet
75gr of H1000 = 2940fps
Fed 215M primers
SD 4 ES 7
Anneal after every round!
The round is just at Transonic but will still group within 1 MOA with descent enviorment factors
How far off your lands are you seating those bullets and with your ES and SD figures how many shots in your series? You annealing with an AMP or some other unit? Thanks for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.