PSE TAC 15/15i, 10/10i Crossbow Review

ADMIN

Administrator
I became a PSE TAC 15/15i/10/10i crossbow dealer because my own PSE TAC 15i crossbow shot 6 arrows into 1.875 inches at 100 yards, on my third day of shooting it.

I began field research for my PSE TAC 15/15i/10/10i crossbow review article at the county archery range. On that first day what must the other archers have thought as they saw me repeatedly walking back from my target, eyes downward, shaking my head. They may have thought "Well if he is disappointed with his groups maybe he should just practice more". But they had no idea from their vantage point that I was consistently shooting tiny groups with my PSE TAC 15i crossbow that made me shake my head. In the first couple of days I eventually shot at yardages that 99% of compound bow hunters never even try. Forty yards and then 50 and then 60 and then 70 and then 80 and then 90 and then 100 yards and finally out to 120. It took me a couple of days of shooting tiny groups with my TAC 15i crossbow to confirm that they were not just a fluke.

Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, PSE TAC 15/15i, 10/10i Crossbow Review , By Len Backus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Len,

Nice article on the PSE Tac15. I have just purchased one and topped it with the same scope you had in your review. All I can say is WOW. Super fast and nice and quiet! I was just curious on if you've made any tables for the mildots at varying yardages. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot mine past 30yds as I've been limited to shooting in my backyard thus far. Those arrows are so pricey I was hoping to limit my misses with some sort of a starting point at ranges past 50yds. Any insight on how to walk my way out to the longer range shots and which mildots to use would greatly be appreciated. Also Len have you had any tuning issues with yours after shooting it numerous times? That has worried me a bit that it would lose it's tune after a few weeks of practicing.

Best regards,
Ricco

Good article, well written with lots of good info. Thank Len.

Last edited:
Ricco

Thanks! Yes, I have a spreadsheet that lists my own drop experience. It is rough and needs to be confirmed on each bow but should get you within a couple inches at each range out to 100. And keep you from damaging or losing arrows that miss.

I'll try to post a screen print image of it later today.

Here is the drop data. Note that I have not yet shot out past 100 yards to confirm those drops.
accupoint-scope-drops.jpg

Hello LEN.

I have a Question on arrow spine and though maybe you could shed some light on it or ask
someone at PSE to get the answer.

Question: What is the maximum weight broad head you can use on the 26.5" TAC 15 arrows
without overloading them. (Heavy tips/broad heads tend to make the arrow more stable because
it puts more weight forward of center).

In the past the arrow manufacturs provided a spine chart for there arrows so you could
optimize your arrows for your length and weight.

I would like to shoot 150+grain points but I am not the arrows will take that much weight.

J E CUSTOM

Kevin Hansen, TAC 15 Project Engineer says"
The heavier the broad head the more it will amplify the small
inconsistencies in the arrows which changes the launch direction out of
the bow. More weight forward of center is good once the arrow is in
flight and penetration is better as well. You shouldn't have much
trouble getting good groups with 150gr heads. We have shot up to 300gr
heads and it may take a little extra arrow sorting but it is fine.

Kevin Hansen, TAC 15 Project Engineer says"

Thanks Len. and thank Kevin for the help !!!!

If they shot 300 grain broad heads on the TAC 15 arrows the spine must be enough.

I plan on shooting 150gr Broad heads and this information realy helps.

I will test the 150s against the 125s and the 100s to see how much difference there is and
the velocity loss.

I just didn't want to blow up the arrows with a Broad head that was two heavy.

Also I know that with a name like TAC 15 the black arrows fit the tactical image but was
wondering if they had though about bright fletching for those that are visually challenged
and would like to find them after going through an animal and into the ground. I understand
that there is no lighted replacement for the knock. (Is this true?).

This cross bow has exceeded everything I had hoped for and I can find no fault with it.

Thanks again.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
No lighted nock that I know of. I think they suggested just to paint the end of the arrow including the vanes. Let me know if you figure out the best way to do that.

Great info on the TAC here! But I have a question: anyone have experience removing the bow from the TACs stock after sight-in, packing around the components, and then reattaching? I'd like to know what affect that has on point of impact. (If no one has tried it, anyone up for the challenge?) My thought is that the TAC is a little bulky for a long trail ride to elk camp (on tight trails and somewhat green horses) and so I'd like to be able to take it apart for packing and then reassemble it at camp. After reassembly, I want to minimize shots fired to verify I'm still on target, as I can't bring the bag target along, and finding a target that won't destroy the arrow once I'm at camp is going to be difficult!

On a related note, any experiences people have of packing compound bows/archery equipment in on horseback in general would be appreciated -- I've done a couple rifle hunts on horseback and two archery hunts where I hiked, carried my weapon, and led in pack horses, but I've yet to carry archery equip (crossbow or compound) on horses, and I'm a little worried about doing it this fall on my Wyoming elk hunt.

Great info on the TAC here! But I have a question: anyone have experience removing the bow from the TACs stock after sight-in, packing around the components, and then reattaching? I'd like to know what affect that has on point of impact. (If no one has tried it, anyone up for the challenge?) My thought is that the TAC is a little bulky for a long trail ride to elk camp (on tight trails and somewhat green horses) and so I'd like to be able to take it apart for packing and then reassemble it at camp. After reassembly, I want to minimize shots fired to verify I'm still on target, as I can't bring the bag target along, and finding a target that won't destroy the arrow once I'm at camp is going to be difficult!

I haven't tried it yet but it should be very close because of the fit up of the bow section to
the rail. But I will because I intend to break it down in order to place the entire cross bow,
the AR lower and the 450 bushmaster upper in the same gun case.

It will all go nicely in a long hard case if you take the limb section apart and make for a nice
package (Rifle and cross bow in one case).

It would be nice if PSE would make a hard case for the TAC 15.

If it does not repeat I intend to bed this connection to guarantee the line up each time.

Let me know what you find when you do the test.

Thanks.

J E CUSTOM

Len,

Thanks for the ballistic chart. Very consistent with what I witnessed yesterday. I was able to get out to 60yds and it was grouping nicely. I did forget to take a chrono out to verify velocity. Next trip out will try a few different types of broadheads to see which ones fly the best. I was surprised when I weighed the field tips that come with the bolts to find out they weighed 85grains. For some reason I assumed they were going to be 100gr. So the drop data will change a bit with the heavier broadheads. (125gr is what I am leaning towards).

When I get drop data for the 125gr I'll get them posted to this thread.

Thanks J E Custom and Len.

Len, that pack looks super long which won't work while on horseback -- nothing can hang down below your lower back and anything that sticks up above your shoulders catches branches and is dangerous (it can lodge on a tree branch and pull you out of the saddle). Unless you were thinking: put the TAC in the pack and then strap it on the pack saddle. That might work, but I still think it looks like the TAC will be too wide and too long. Plus, those crazy pack horses aren't too careful with whatever is strapped on their backs -- anything fragile has to be on top to avoid sideswiping trees/rocks and even then... that's why I thought I'd break down the TAC and either put the stock/scope in a rifle scabbard and the bow separately, or put it in a hard, narrow case on the top of the pack saddle.

JE, I don't have my TAC on hand yet, let me know if you do the test before I get mine and can try it out myself. Any one else that has a TAC want to try zeroing it, take the bow portion off, put it back on and see what effect that had on the zero? Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.