Problem gun

My 300 Win Mag was a factory New Haven M70 SS Classic Sporter and thrived on RL22 and 180gr Nosler Partitions. Accuri glassed the front lug and 2" of the barrel channel. Pillar bedded the rear screw hole. Would do 1/2- 3/4" three shot groups depending on the day and how good I was holding. Sorry do not remember the charge weight.

Trying to wrap my head around this procedure. What are you striking the barrel with, palm of your hand, rubber mallet. How are you holding the barrel, from the top side with down pressure to prevent the gun from flying in the air? Interesting suggestion for sure.
I personally would never do anything like that but to each his own

I would try it without the muzzle device. I had the same problem raise its head. After loosing my mind for a while, I just happened to see a shiny spot at the muzzle baffle of my suppressor. The muzzle threads were just non concentric enough that the projectiles were just barely touching the edge of the baffle and sending them into an occasional erratic orbit. Sent the barreled action Back for a cut back and rethread and have had no more problems.
That sounds like a near tragedy a baffle strike is bad news!

I have only had a couple. Guns that refused to group consistently. One, I fixed by re-crowning. This one is causing some head scratching.

300 Win Mag, Winchester CRF mod 70, Shilen barrel, McMillan A3 stock, Leupold VX-6, 3-18x56.

I have tried RL-22 and H4831SC. 190 Nosler Custom Competition (identical to SMK), 180 Nosler Accubond and 175 Custom Competition.

Most groups are 1.2" or so. It will shoot a .5" then a 1"+ with the same load. No load has shot consistently good groups.

I'm shooting 3 shot groups, letting the gun cool between shots and shooting 2 other rifles.

This gun is a new build. Straight from the gunsmith.

Rifle is bedded.

More than adequate clearance between stock and barrel from 3" in front of tang.

Indoor Air conditioned 100 yard range.

I can make mistakes shooting, but this is not me. When I pull a shot, I know it and either don't count it or I can call it close enough to get an accurate measurement.

I'm shooting great little groups with the 7 mag 308 and 6.5 CM between crappy groups with the 300 WM.

I have played with seating depth, taking it all the way out to 3.535". Helps, but no consistency.

Ideas?
Are. The group velocities consistent between shots and with the follow on group.
Half inch group an 1"+ group?

Are. The group velocities consistent between shots and with the follow on group.
Half inch group an 1"+ group?
Haven't chronoed the test loads. Using MagnetoSpeed and don't want the chrono to effect accuracy, since it straps to the gun.

Ironically, MagnetoSpeed improved accuracy in one of my guns.

FWIW. I have a Win. Model 70 that was made around 1968. Could not get under 1 " with any bullet I tried or powder. In frustration I tried one last thing before I sold it. I set the bullet jammed into rifling and then backed it out so there was only .005 jump. This solved the problem as this brought the groups to near bug hole size. I have heard others that have had to run their bullets touching the lands before they got good groups. I know you mentioned you tried setting different jump ranges but not this close to lands. Good luck with yours, do hope you get it sorted.

If all you did was relieve the bedding in front of the tang your problem is probably not going away. Clean out the pillars and relieve under and in front of the lug( unless it's one of those weird actions) and free float. I'd dig everything out and start over if it was me. Run some electrical tape around the barrel to center it in the channel. If it rocks with no bedding, I will wrap a spot on the tang with about 1/8 strip of electrical tape and out a ways on the barrel to level it up and center in the channel and take the rocking out. Not too much so the action screws still have a good bite. After it dries I bed the 1/8 gap missing on the tang. I'm guessing you're just going to fight this thing without a proper bedding. Hope I'm wrong but that's been my experience.

Do you have a bore scope? The reason I ask is I just installed a new 26" 300 WSM Shilen barrel for my son in law and the middle 10" of the barrel is horrible. I have sent it back but so far I have not heard from them but they haven't had it but 3 days.

Do you have a bore scope? The reason I ask is I just installed a new 26" 300 WSM Shilen barrel for my son in law and the middle 10" of the barrel is horrible. I have sent it back but so far I have not heard from them but they haven't had it but for 3 days.

Last edited:
Haven't chronoed the test loads. Using MagnetoSpeed and don't want the chrono to effect accuracy, since it straps to the gun.

Ironically, MagnetoSpeed improved accuracy in one of my guns.
Several companies make off barrel mounts for magneto speed nowadays ,I got mine from Wiser Precision.