Problem gun

I have only had a couple. Guns that refused to group consistently. One, I fixed by re-crowning. This one is causing some head scratching.

300 Win Mag, Winchester CRF mod 70, Shilen barrel, McMillan A3 stock, Leupold VX-6, 3-18x56.

I have tried RL-22 and H4831SC. 190 Nosler Custom Competition (identical to SMK), 180 Nosler Accubond and 175 Custom Competition.

Most groups are 1.2" or so. It will shoot a .5" then a 1"+ with the same load. No load has shot consistently good groups.

I'm shooting 3 shot groups, letting the gun cool between shots and shooting 2 other rifles.

This gun is a new build. Straight from the gunsmith.

Rifle is bedded.

More than adequate clearance between stock and barrel from 3" in front of tang.

Indoor Air conditioned 100 yard range.

I can make mistakes shooting, but this is not me. When I pull a shot, I know it and either don't count it or I can call it close enough to get an accurate measurement.

I'm shooting great little groups with the 7 mag 308 and 6.5 CM between crappy groups with the 300 WM.

I have played with seating depth, taking it all the way out to 3.535". Helps, but no consistency.

Ideas?
Before I give you my 2 cents on your issue. On your Cape Buffalo hunt, who was the outfitter that you used? an fyi, 1.2 to 0.5 to 1.0 is not that bad.

Many years ago when I was optimizing my 300 win mag I ran into similar issues This was my first foray into reloading back in the early nineties. What I wound up doing was converting the Grains to Grams to milligrams. I suspected there was inaccuracy in my balance and the measure in grains. To verify if this would make a difference I weighed in grains each bullet, then weighed my powder charges(put these in test tubes, this was done on my Lee Balance. At the time I was managing analytical laboratories and had access to very accurate balance capable of weighing in .01 milligrams. Target at 180 grains all bullets appeared to match each other on my lee scale. When I weighed the bullets in Mg the Target 180 grains should have been 11663.81mg- what I found was there was variation that when converted back to grains the worst bullet approached 2 grains, one really bad one out of my box. It was similar with my powder charges but not as much. I then adjusted the bullet weight versus the target weight of my charge versus my target bullet weight, lighter bullet lighter charge. When I made these changes not only did my groups tighten up so did my velocity readings on my chronograph. A couple years back I found some of these reloads shot it through my rifle that has since been re-barreled. The old loads Shot exactly 1.5 " high above the bullseye exactly where it was originally three shots group about .5-.6 MOA at a 100 yards just like when they were reloaded 20 plus years ago. There was a period of time where I quit hunting and shooting, but glad I found the old reloads. I only neck sized my reloads back then. I purchased a Balance from Amazon and do things in a similar fashion these days, I do measure the length of each case and have a target length for each caliber, use better dies now. I hope that helps you.

Before I give you my 2 cents on your issue. On your Cape Buffalo hunt, who was the outfitter that you used? an fyi, 1.2 to 0.5 to 1.0 is not that bad.
The guy is no longer in business. Tanzania has managed to take one of the greatest hunting grounds in Africa and completely screw it up with greed and ignorance. Many big name operators, like Pasanisi, have folded up shop and split.

Yeah, 1.2" isn't bad but it's also not what I expect from this gun. An off the shelf $500 rifle can shoot sub 1".

I know it can do better.

The guy is no longer in business. Tanzania has managed to take one of the greatest hunting grounds in Africa and completely screw it up with greed and ignorance. Many big name operators, like Pasanisi, have folded up shop and split.

Yeah, 1.2" isn't bad but it's also not what I expect from this gun. An off the shelf $500 rifle can shoot sub 1".

I know it can do better.
Well that sucks, bought me a custom 375 ruger, messed up my leg and had to cancel this falls hunt, back on the waiting list now. I am on the look out for other reputable outfitters. On your Cape Bull, how are they as far as getting a steak out of them, are they good eating?

On your rifle agreed, that is why I did what I did on my reloads, back in the day, as the load developed was mimicked off a factory load. If it wasn't a challenge to dial some of these in it just wouldn't be as much fun when you get them to be where you exactly want them.

I haven't, but I'm going to if AZ's list doesn't produce any glaring faults in my rifles construction.
I think you might be surprised with the results, actually, I found the Speer 130gr HP to be the most accurate between that one and the 150gr weight bullets. Just my experience, I wish it would have shot heavier bullets better but it never did. Cheers

I did the bedding. I didn't tape the front of the recoil lug because … I forgot. It's tight in there. Fits really tight. I can easily relieve the front area with a dremmel and touch up the bedding if it's a serious concern.

This is something I considered, as it's the only variable that's different from my other guns that shoot well.
Did you tape the bottom and sides of the lug?

I swapped out the muzzle device for the ASR mount and used my Omega suppressors. Relieved bedding in front and sides of recoil lug. I didn't hit my gun with a hammer, although, I really wanted to.

Loaded up a bunch of 165 & 168 grain with a mild load of Rl-22 and headed to the range.

Hornady factory 180 SP - 2 groups .550" & .725"
165 Game King HPBT .280" .675" .735"
168 Nos CC - .340" .360" .690"
180 Nos Accubond .730" .865" .950"

Smallest .280" largest .950" but that was an Accubond with the tip missing.

I really think it was the muzzle device, but it could have been the bedding too. Also, I never tried 165 gr bullets. They shoot!

Thanks to everyone and their advice. I learned quite a bit from this thread.

I have probably put 150-175 rounds testing loads.

Cleaned it well a few times with wipe out left in the barrel overnight. M-Pro 7 and Hoppes bore jell.

I run a bore snake through it 3x w bore jell after 15-20 rounds at the range.
I just saw a Gunwerks podcast on the subject of how to properly clean a rifle …don't use bore snakes on rifle barrels… the metal "brush" can ruin the muzzle crown. Not at all suggesting this is your problem, but
wanted to pass this along,

I think I am reading it will group some, then blow some... yes, no?
If you are printing someting like two different groups or get some touching, then some not grouping I would check your stock, bedding, and bottom metal.
I had a build I self assembled but had one of the best in the industry chamber and time a Bartlein 5R barrel for my Lone Peak action. Good after market trigger and good carbon fiber stock.
My bottom metal was binding on my Wyatt's internal box (Rem 700 clone action). I learned I have to assemble the action to the stock on it's back, horizontally while starting the action screws some, then finish up normally ( vertically) while tightening. This prevented the box from sliding back outside the BM recess and binding on the bottom metal.
I would double check your bedding, trigger and action for pressure spots or binding.

Good idea. I guess that could diagnose it as a can problem.
I tried a friends can on a rifle a few years ago. It blew my accuracy out the window, so worth checking.
Also, make sure that recoil lug is not "bottoming out" and pressing on the bottom of the RL recess when tightening. This can bind your action a bit.
I see you are going to open up the front of you lug recess. Good move. The only part of the recoil lug that should be touching the stock is the rear portion IMO.
Best of luck. Keep us posted.
I know I learn from mistakes ( my own and other's) more than from immediate success! 😁

I had a 300 win mag , about gave up on it, just wouldnt shoot, last attempt 7828 180 grn sierra,s was like it couldnt miss, no good guess as to why but it turned into a tack driver. Still wont shoot anything else.
I have only had a couple. Guns that refused to group consistently. One, I fixed by re-crowning. This one is causing some head scratching.

300 Win Mag, Winchester CRF mod 70, Shilen barrel, McMillan A3 stock, Leupold VX-6, 3-18x56.

I have tried RL-22 and H4831SC. 190 Nosler Custom Competition (identical to SMK), 180 Nosler Accubond and 175 Custom Competition.

Most groups are 1.2" or so. It will shoot a .5" then a 1"+ with the same load. No load has shot consistently good groups.

I'm shooting 3 shot groups, letting the gun cool between shots and shooting 2 other rifles.

This gun is a new build. Straight from the gunsmith.

Rifle is bedded.

More than adequate clearance between stock and barrel from 3" in front of tang.

Indoor Air conditioned 100 yard range.

I can make mistakes shooting, but this is not me. When I pull a shot, I know it and either don't count it or I can call it close enough to get an accurate measurement.

I'm shooting great little groups with the 7 mag 308 and 6.5 CM between crappy groups with the 300 WM.

I have played with seating depth, taking it all the way out to 3.535". Helps, but no consistency.

Ideas?