Pro Muzzle Brakes, The Origin Story

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
This is the origin story of how we developed the Pro brake line. Starting the spring of 2019 and evolving into what we make today. With over 300 SKU options including the full line up in Stainless and Titanium, if you have a rifle, 99.99% of the time...we got a brake for it.

The OG... This was the first brake I ever made. A buddy drew a super good elk tag here in Idaho and I did a bunch of rifle upgrades for him. Designing and making this brake for it was part of the upgrades. With straight ports and no flats, it was as basic as it gets, as was the performance. For a period of time we offered this on our website, calling it the "Basic Brake".

Ken

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 11.41.56 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 11.42.28 AM.png

This was the first try at angled ports. With no flats and very small ports, the performance vs weight we were hoping for wasn't there. The port size also made the machining a challenge. We were making these complete on a CNC mill and surfacing the crown of the brake also.

IMG_3292.jpg
IMG_3293.jpg

THE SLAB STYLE BRAKE

For a short time, we dabbled in "slab style" muzzle brakes. While looking cool, the functionality of the brake wasn't as good as we had hoped. The massive flats limited the port height and made the piece of titanium we needed to start with very large. The performance from the top ports vs no top ports was almost nonexistent. This design also made it very challenging to make a self-timing muzzle brake and attempts were abandoned quickly.
IMG_3295.jpg
IMG_3296.jpg

Next.... We chose a diameter a little under 1", and angled our ports back 25 degrees. No brake flats, and no cup-shaped ports. This short little 5 port had decent performance but was a pain to machine with no flats.

image0 (3).jpeg
image1 (2).jpeg

So where are you at now?, reason, I've got a rifle I'm taking possession of tomorrow, it's not threaded but if I think it's worth it, it will be and then on the hunt for a good brake for it.

So where are you at now?, reason, I've got a rifle I'm taking possession of tomorrow, it's not threaded but if I think it's worth it, it will be and then on the hunt for a good brake for it.

The marketing guy hasn't done the final few posts yet. I'll add them when he's done. Where we are now are the lightest brakes out there that perform phenomenally well. We offer diameters of .680 .760 .860 .990 and 1.2. 1,2,3,4,5 ports. self timers and non self timing brakes.

Ken

What about the 1.5" 6-port Ti-Pro brake?

Will that become a reality? I have a need for that one... :)

By this point we had figured out a decent port design, and were testing performance by number of ports and muzzle brake diameter. We still had a flat crown on the end of the brake. This is one of 3 brakes we ever made in .760" OD with 5 ports. With the brake being longer and a small diameter it presented numerous machining challenges.
IMG_3342.jpg
IMG_3343.jpg