Preseason Workouts

Will be 53 in December.
Not saying I'm humping it like at 30, but then you learn many things and become wiser with age.

Will be 53 in December.
Not saying I'm humping it like at 30, but then you learn many things and become wiser with age.

Oh my god, 3 years ago and I wouldn't need to work out. Just find a way to acclimatize to the altitude.

As far as the altitude, I start popping aspirin about half way through Kansas. I've heard that Tums or Rolaids have the same effect. Might try that this year as a comparison.
When I first went out to hunt with dad I would get a headache after going over Monarch Pass. Started the aspirin and it took care of that.
Wife is broiling some elk steaks tonight along with green beans and summer squash from the garden. I think diet has had a good long term effect for me.
One other thing is make sure to stay hydrated when out there to avoid fatigue, aches and pains and sleeplessness. And I don't mean Budweiser.

Hope and pray you beat the cancer Marble and make it to elk camp many more times.

Well they can't find anything left at all, even the stuff they removed was all dead. But, I'm only 38, and they want to make sure it is really really gone and dead so that's why I have to do one more round. I'm already "cancer free", we are just trying to make it to where I live a ling normal life too.

Thanks for the prayers!

As far as the altitude, I start popping aspirin about half way through Kansas. I've heard that Tums or Rolaids have the same effect. Might try that this year as a comparison.
When I first went out to hunt with dad I would get a headache after going over Monarch Pass. Started the aspirin and it took care of that.
Wife is broiling some elk steaks tonight along with green beans and summer squash from the garden. I think diet has had a good long term effect for me.
One other thing is make sure to stay hydrated when out there to avoid fatigue, aches and pains and sleeplessness. And I don't mean Budweiser.

We all do the aspirin too! And usually, we are so tired when we get back to camp we only have the energy and stamina to finish one beer or mixed drink. Then it's beddy bye time.

Eating healthy and putting quality food in your body when you are overly exerting yourself is so helpful. I cook dinner for everyone usually and it always consists of all the food groups. Breakfast too. We all eat breakfast in the morning. Super important.

When we are in a spike camp it's hard to get enough calories daily. Most of us eat more than we usually do and still loose about a pound daily. It's hard work, and I love it.

Well they can't find anything left at all, even the stuff they removed was all dead. But, I'm only 38, and they want to make sure it is really really gone and dead so that's why I have to do one more round. I'm already "cancer free", we are just trying to make it to where I live a ling normal life too.

Thanks for the prayers!

Sounds like you are on the downhill slide. Keep it up!

Someday you will be an old fart like me and KYHillJack and look back and laugh. Or cry cause you can't climb the mountain like those young bucks anymore. Usually laughing at the young bucks running their asses off for nothing though. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you are on the downhill slide. Keep it up!

Someday you will be an old fart like me and KYHillJack and look back and laugh. Or cry cause you can't climb the mountain like those young bucks anymore. Usually laughing at the young bucks running their asses off for nothing though. :rolleyes:

At 38 I still consider myself a young buck. I guess I will be until a new generation starts hunting in camp with us. My son is only 12, so god permitting, we will be hunting the same mountains for years to come.

My dad is 63 and in great shape. He has slowed down, but he still gets up the mountain and is able to do everything himself. I help him as much as I can without him getting ticked at me.

Guys starting to train should post results here and keep suggestions coming for ideas on how to get in shape for the hunt. New workouts and ideas are always welcome.

Monday Wednesday and Friday:
4AM Walk two miles away from the gym at fast pace; run two miles back to the gym
30 minutes Upper body (arms/shoulders/back/chest - biceps, triceps, lats, pectorals, etc) with heavy weights
10 minutes abs (decline sit ups)
5 minutes leg lifts
15 minute swim
Go to work ......
Walk a mile at lunch
Back to work
Home
Walk a mile between dinner and bed time
Saturday:
Light work out one hour - stamina building (light weights, countless repititions) for upper body combined with squats.
That's to prepare for eight to ten days above 7000 feet
Report to hunting zone three days prior to opening day and walk to scout the region and acclimate to elevation

I guess I misread the theme - this isn't my actual workout. I don't actually have one of my own cuz the little bit of hunting I do these days amounts to a stroll in the park. But I think it's a pretty good routine for the high altitude hunter who wants to avoid high altitude sickness and all the agony that goes with it.:D

Many treadmills have various workouts preloaded into them already. We will usually do a program called a sprint 8. It starts off with a 3 minute, 3.5 mph, 0 incline walk. Then for 8 sessions, a 30 second, 6 mph, 5 incline run, with 90 seconds in between runs. This takes about 20-25 minutes with a 3 minute cool down. We follow this up with various weight training for 30-45 minutes, then to finish a 1-2 mile run at 5-6 mph and 0 incline. There are so many programs you can come up with. You have to find what works for you. Another thing which is tons of fun are parachute runs. If you can get your hands on a parachute, strap that on your back and do some running in a parking lot or field. These will get you in shape.

Another good treadmill exercise for your legs is do a 3 min warm up, 3mph, at 0 incline. Every 2 min go up either a half mph and half incline. Work your self up in speed and incline as it is comfortable for you. Long legs prevail over short in any running or walking exercise. When you have reached your peak with the speed and incline, do it in reverse working back down to your starting point. I will do 30 min up and 30 min down. This will work your quads, calfs, hamstrings, and gluteus.

Im in ky and going on my first elk hunt in oct with the group hunt here. Been doing crossfit to get ready. Lost about 25lb so far. Unfortunately I'm still pretty over weight but at least its 25lb better than it was

I am a backpack hunter so I make sure I am in plenty good shape to hunt hard, cover lots of miles and pack lots of elk.

Here's how I split up weights and cardio within a given week.

strict weights 2 times/week. Think packing and quartering an elk and hiking up and down steep mountains. mimic those motions with weights.
squats. lunges. Lunges are key to hike/hunt hard in the mountains.
kettle bell snatch. work up to 50# avg weight of a rear elk quarter. think quartering an elk and lifting the rear quarter with one hand and cutting with the other.
The following is specific for archery (drawing a bow)
pullups, 5 sets 10reps/set. dumbell pulls, 4 sets 80-90#. dumbell press, 4 sets, 75-90#. biceps/triceps with dumbells.

high-intensity crossfit workouts 2 times/week.

Cardio 5-6 times/week.
during the work week: swim 30 minutes, run 6 miles twice a week. bike 20 - 30 miles twice a week.
saturday run 10-15 miles & swim 30 - 45 minutes.
sunday bike 50-80 miles.

starting in mid august, 60 - 75# in backpack and go on a couple hikes each week. Usually drop a mid-week run and bike to get in two early morning hikes each week.

Then hunt hard all season long. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.