Preseason Workouts

FurTaker

Anyone care to share their preseason workouts to get in "elk hunting shape?" I've never really had one to go by I've always just "winged it" and needless to say the first few days are usually a real SOB!! But this year between the whole family we have 14 tags combined (deer, elk, bear) so I figure its probably about time to start preparing!

This should be fun!

So lets hear it. How do you prepare for elk season???

Mondays and Wednesdays
Hit the rec center during lunch hour
3 miles on the elliptical to get warmed up
Lift upper body
When I get off work, I climb the 1300' vertical hill behind my house, try to run as much as I can

Tuesdays and Thursdays after work
Hit the rec center and start out with 3 miles on the elliptical, then I run stairs and work the track. My stair sets look like this
2 sets, jog a lap
3 sets, jog a lap
4 sets, jog a lap
3 sets, jog a lap
2 sets, walk a couple laps to cool down

Fridays- heavy leg workout
Squats
Lunges
Weighted step ups and calf raises
Couple different hamstring exercises

I got skunked on tags this year but am preparing for my brother in laws sheep hunt. I will hunt the general season as well

From the top of my hill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 258
Mighty fine looking hill you got there lol... Thanks for the reply I think itll be interesting to see how everyone prepares. Good luck on the sheep hunt and your general tag as well!!

Mow yard with push mower.
Raise a BIG vegetable garden
Volunteer for Elk Foundation and Mule Deer Foundation to do groundwork for improving habitat.
Volunteer for trail maintenance with a local hiking group.
Volunteer for local rifle club adopt a highway cleanups.
Run a 1/2 marathon for a good cause
Bicycle.
Cut and stack firewood.
Walk 5 miles a day.

Monday Wednesday and Friday:
4AM Walk two miles away from the gym at fast pace; run two miles back to the gym
30 minutes Upper body (arms/shoulders/back/chest - biceps, triceps, lats, pectorals, etc) with heavy weights
10 minutes abs (decline sit ups)
5 minutes leg lifts
15 minute swim
Go to work ......
Walk a mile at lunch
Back to work
Home
Walk a mile between dinner and bed time
Saturday:
Light work out one hour - stamina building (light weights, countless repititions) for upper body combined with squats.
That's to prepare for eight to ten days above 7000 feet
Report to hunting zone three days prior to opening day and walk to scout the region and acclimate to elevation

45 minutes on the Bowflex tread climber every day, about 3 miles and 750 calories burned. Moderate upper body weights with high reps for endurance and strength. Complete change in diet which I should stay with year round.

20-30 minutes on a cardio machine of some type, 3-4 times weekly. Or a step class. Circuit weights twice a week, heavy weights 1-2 times a week.

Lots of lunges with added weight.

Shoulder and back exercises to keep my back good carrying around a backpack.

I never really run out of gas and my endurance is excellent. My back muscles usually give me the biggest problem. I hunt between 9500 and 11500, so cardio is big.

I also strip my back to the bare minimum.

Oh my, scary. I used to work out plenty.

My elk hunt is a meat hunt so I'm not going to have long hikes, I hope.:rolleyes:
I won't have to pack out, I hope.:rolleyes:

I live a sea level and the ranch is at 7500+ask. I will have to breath.

Back when I was very fit, working out and surfing almost every day, I went from sea level to 10,000 asl on a drive and it was difficult to oxygenate at those altitudes.

First order of business is to get off this ridiculous work level.

Next, sit ups and hill walking is where I'll start.

The truth. Nothing. Always have eaten right and have garden and property to take care of. Work, come home and relax by doing chores around the place.
No fast food, no booze no soft drinks. Use Swedish snus and smoke a few with coffee. Can go all day at 10000 ft.
Guess I'm just lucky.

The truth. Nothing. Always have eaten right and have garden and property to take care of. Work, come home and relax by doing chores around the place.
No fast food, no booze no soft drinks. Use Swedish snus and smoke a few with coffee. Can go all day at 10000 ft.
Guess I'm just lucky.

That sounds so boring! Though bet you live a long life and enjoy it. God bless you.

Guess I'm just lucky.

That's how I am too, but I enjoy working out and am normally in great shape.

This year is slightly different though. I've been battling cancer since February and have to do 3 more months of Chemo starting next month. Which really sucks!! I did one round of chemo/radiation, had surgery and now another round. Prognosis is really good, but it the ***** for trying to stay in great shape. My goal, besides beating the disease, was making it to Elk camp this year and being able to make the hikes like I used to. I'm bound a determined. It will happen. I'm not going to let it kill my hunting season.

That's how I am too, but I enjoy working out and am normally in great shape.

This year is slightly different though. I've been battling cancer since February and have to do 3 more months of Chemo starting next month. Which really sucks!! I did one round of chemo/radiation, had surgery and now another round. Prognosis is really good, but it the ***** for trying to stay in great shape. My goal, besides beating the disease, was making it to Elk camp this year and being able to make the hikes like I used to. I'm bound a determined. It will happen. I'm not going to let it kill my hunting season.

Best of luck! Great Attitude! And God Bless!

Guess I'm just lucky.

And not over 50 yet...:)gun) LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.