Precision Hunter

Gotcha, don't see the runout.

Seems like all the PRC stuff is loaded on the brink of sanity. No surprise on the primer pockets.

What other factory ammo have you run through the gun, and did it shoot better/worse than the "precision" stuff?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, MOST handloaders. If you're really holding all your ammo to the exact same length, +/- .001", then you do not fit into the "most handloaders" category. You fit into the "incerdibly anal retentive handloaders" category. Nothing wrong with that, just not what MOST handloaders do.

I'd also debate the necessity of +/- .001" in "hunting ammo". But hey, I've only used the ammo in question to kill a couple dozen deer and a truckload or two of coyotes, out to ranges just shy of 1/2 mile.

Are you adjusting your seating die with every loaded round?

If not, then I seriously doubt you're truly getting .001" variance in CBTO length, as bullets will vary more than that. If you are, I'd love to hear what dies, bullets, and method you use to ensure such microscopic precision. Seems like I could learn something.

Yes, I will take the ones that are over or under out and put them to the side and readjust to get to .001 after I am done doing the whole batch. It's not a lot of them though. In thinking back the other day when I loaded some 7 Sherman Max rounds, I had 8 out of 50 that didn't meet that expectation. Those 8 were off within +/-.003 though which isn't bad at all (I agree with you that it probably doesn't make much difference).

None mentioned in the OP, likely to be equally disappointing as the seating depth I'd wager.

Here is my entire past and present Hornady collection, since you asked.
Look close. Too much BTO variation for Me to use.

Same as most things H, as we see exemplified over and over again.

Last edited:
Understood Phil.

If I were shooting BR or other group games, or if I were shooting antelope at 1500+ yards with a 6.5 Creed, I'd probably be a little more detail
oriented and precise about some of this stuff.

As I'm far more concerned about putting fur in the dirt at sane (personally) limits, and typically run sporter weight rifles with sub-16x glass, I've found +/- .005" COAL variance and sub.003" runout to be a non issue.

The last 500 yard group I shot with the 6 Creed 103 ELDX Hornady PH ammo was in the 3.5" range, centered up on the POA. All five shots would have pounded a clay pigeon, which is precision hunting ammo in my book.

Last edited:
Following. I haven't bought factory ammo (other than pistol) in years. I guess +/- .002-.003 isn't bad for high volume production. Being SAAMI spec, I'm sure there is plenty of distance to the lands so it won't affect pressures/velocities.
Hornady ELD-X's and M's,. LIKE to "Jump" so, it shouldn't Be a Issue for, Accuracy IF, they are All,.. the SAME Lot #.
ELD-X's in My grandsons 6.5 PRC, ( Savage, Lite Hunter / Proof Barrel ) Dropped 3 Deer last Fall and All,. were DRT within, 20-25 Yards.
The Steel, Texas Plinking, 1,000 Yard, Tourney, HAS been Won, MANY Times with, Factory Hornady Ammo, in 6.5 Creedmoor !!
Test for Accuracy and Use with,.. Confidence !

Last edited:
The eldm stuff was less than moa but darn it if for some reason the cheap savage varmint rifle I bought on a whim just loved their cheap 129 gr sp's. I bought some to hunt with as I picked the rifle up from cabelas on a black friday sale and had no time to load yet. Put 3 of those 129's touching. Zeroed the scope and shot a buck that evening.

Yeah, it shots pretty good, but brass is trashed after the first firing.
ADG,. 6.5 PRC Brass was recently, Available !
Might try, Shopping around for Some,. for Reloading. ( Buy some, Forster Dies, too ! )
My grandson, is Now Loading them and 140 gr Elite Hunters with, StaBall HD in "Thrown" charges for, Elk / Deer ( Great Brass ! )
He's getting 1/2 MOA group's with, this "Combo" and F-210M Primers.
Both, ELD-X's and the ELD- M's shoot Terrific, in My 6.5 Creedmoor !

Last edited:
Post 6. No run out was tested.

Shot ok for factory ammo. I didn't give it too much attention as I was just anxious to shoot the rifle and get the scope on. Tried to reload some of the brass and pockets were loose.
Hornady, "Usually" Loads their New, 7 PRC and 6.5 PRC, Ammo, to MAXIMUM Velocity and their Brass, is, NOT Known for, Top Quality !
Shoot for Hunting and,. Pitch, the Brass !
Have you Guys EVER Seen, the Ammo Factories, Make Ammunition on, HIGH Speed, Machines ???
Yikes ! Lucky to have, seating Depth, within,. .010 - .015 And, Powder Charges within,.. One Grain !!!
IF you WANT, "Top Precision" Ammo, You NEED to,.. Re-Load ( WITH,. Skill, using Top notch Components and,. Dies ! ).
FACT of,. Life !

Last edited:
Had some gift cards so thought I would pick up some Precision Hunter and Match for the 6.5 PRC. Mind you, I have not purchased factory other than pistol, 5.56, and .22 in some time.

Wanted to measure and see what they load these if they shot well in order to duplicate.

These are my results after measuring. Same box. Is this the norm? Are these bullets pretty forgiving WRT seating depth?

View attachment 529662
Measure the powder in them if they're anything like the 7 PRC you will be disgusted on what you find

Gotcha, don't see the runout.

Seems like all the PRC stuff is loaded on the brink of sanity. No surprise on the primer pockets.

What other factory ammo have you run through the gun, and did it shoot better/worse than the "precision" stuff?
No other factory. Just handloads. Rifle shoots very well. I originally posted this as I have not purchased "Precision" ammo other than a few Bergers for the Creedmoor. Was curious if this was what the norm was.

Measure the powder in them if they're anything like the 7 PRC you will be disgusted on what you find
In the 90s we pulled 173gr SB and weighed it. Not sure how that was called "sniper" ammo.

I have not had great results with H quality control.