Precision Hunter

Only .007 total variance with the Hunter ammo, with 90% being within .005 is pretty darn good. I'd venture that most handloads are about that same tolerance.

I've killed a bunch of stuff with the 103 PH 6 Creed factory ammo, including deer out past 500 and a couple coyotes in the 700-800 yard neighborhood.

I've also had no issues reloading the brass, but I've only used the 6mm Creedmoor stuff.

Only .007 total variance with the Hunter ammo, with 90% being within .005 is pretty darn good. I'd venture that most handloads are about that same tolerance.

I've killed a bunch of stuff with the 103 PH 6 Creed factory ammo, including deer out past 500 and a couple coyotes in the 700-800 yard neighborhood.

I've also had no issues reloading the brass, but I've only used the 6mm Creedmoor stuff.

Are you saying that most handloaders have a .005 tolerance? I keep mine to +\- .001.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, MOST handloaders. If you're really holding all your ammo to the exact same length, +/- .001", then you do not fit into the "most handloaders" category. You fit into the "incerdibly anal retentive handloaders" category. Nothing wrong with that, just not what MOST handloaders do.

I'd also debate the necessity of +/- .001" in "hunting ammo". But hey, I've only used the ammo in question to kill a couple dozen deer and a truckload or two of coyotes, out to ranges just shy of 1/2 mile.

Are you adjusting your seating die with every loaded round?

If not, then I seriously doubt you're truly getting .001" variance in CBTO length, as bullets will vary more than that. If you are, I'd love to hear what dies, bullets, and method you use to ensure such microscopic precision. Seems like I could learn something.

Certainly MOST handloaders use Wilson seaters.

I've got a couple of Wilsons, they're great. But honestly, the ammo they load isn't any more accurate than the same loads built with Redding or even Lee dies.

I'd love to see the box of bullets that all has the identical measurements from tip-to-ogive, or from point of die contact to ogive. That's where a lot of the variance will be introduced. ESPECIALLY when talking hunting bullets.

I wonder if the variance is caused by the seating die moving slightly or because the bullet shape varies enough to create the difference in seating length. Every reloading die I've ever used (or heard of) touches on the ogive of the bullet, not the tip, so if there's any variance in the shape of the ogive you're going to get a variance in the OAL of the cartridge.

Or, build-up of crud between the case holder/ram and the bottom of the die in a manufacturing environment? Or...?? Or, if the bullet ogives are very consistent but the tips vary within 0.003" +/-?

The OAL variance is a metric, but if the bullet moves within 0.001" before it hits the lands because it's tip variance, not bullet seating variance, is it a meaningful metric?