• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Powders available at hodgdon com

Agreed....and based on my experience, executives often assume (often incorrectly) that consumers don't have the same loyalty towards online retailers as they do brick and morter.
Agree on all, and would add that in a hobby as diverse and complex as reloading, Midway or Powder Valley or Graf or Grice can offer service over a local in that they can keep a set of those .401 Herter's Powermag dies in stock, where you local guy can't. Midway has become the shopping mall of the '90s, without all the dirty rude teanagers and parking lot violence. One stop shop.

It is complicated especially seeing as Hodgeon already owns most of the powder companies.
Generally the free market eventually irons these things out but regulated products like primers & powder don't readily lend themselves to good competition.

I think manufacturers see distributors or representatives as waste of money that they could be putting into there pockets. Then they generally try it and find providing proper customer service is expensive and time consuming.

The other kicker is supplying the guy who wants 1-2# at a time is also very time consuming. Also with Hazmat fees that purchase will be become totally non existent and drive the small time hunting hand loader out of the game.

As noted earlier, I was able to get some powder from Hodgdon earlier today. I went back to the site to see if I might have overlooked any other available powders and a message appeared, "Only 5 units of any item available per order and only one order per month allowed." They obviously are trying to prevent the Gunbroker vendor types from hogging availability.

Personally, I would rather support my local dealer but when the only choice is buying from the manufacturer, that is where I will buy it. I noticed that you could also place orders directly with Sierra. Problem was, they were sold out of everything.

noticed yesterday: While bidding for an item (firearm) on Gunbroker, I checked out the bid history as the item was coming to an end. Everyone that was bidding against me were new bidders with only 1 or 2 in purchase history. This compared to my 60. New shooters entering the market are screwing things up for us that have been doing this for a lifetime.

Site shows everything under the sun as "in stock" soooo, I'm thinking to good to be true.

Just got back from my "local" (2-miles). He's got some factory ammo and that's about it. He did have some TiteGroup , TrailBoss, and US869. Not a primer in the place of any kind.

i know this hurts some of the mom and pop shops...but if you get on gunbroker theres alot of them fueling the fire.. so in a way by doing what there doing there controlling the market in somewhat of a good way..if you order direct from hodgdon there limiting each individual to 5lbs a month which allow them to spread it out..i have one local dealer that has never gouged anyone ever..he has reasonable mark ups and they never change with the times...i have another that is just flat out gouging...for me i dont care how bad i needed it i would buy from gunbroker before i ever gave them another dollar...i do feel for the one good dealer we have and any other good dealer thats out there

i know this hurts some of the mom and pop shops...but if you get on gunbroker theres alot of them fueling the fire.. so in a way by doing what there doing there controlling the market in somewhat of a good way..if you order direct from hodgdon there limiting each individual to 5lbs a month which allow them to spread it out..i have one local dealer that has never gouged anyone ever..he has reasonable mark ups and they never change with the times...i have another that is just flat out gouging...for me i dont care how bad i needed it i would buy from gunbroker before i ever gave them another dollar...i do feel for the one good dealer we have and any other good dealer thats out there
The argument could definitely be made that Hodgeden is protecting consumers and selling direct to prevent scalping. But that's a real slippery slope...

For me, I just remember the one's that charged really high prices during these times. Take for example this link:

That's right 100 bullets for $105 bucks

And just buy from the ones that didn't overcharge during times like this.