Powder recomendations for new rifle

willtim

I just picked up my "new" rifle. It's a 7mm RM built on a trued 700 action, Bartlein fluted 3B 1:8 twist, Timney trigger, in a Brown Precision stock. I built it to shoot 160-175 grain bullets. With powder in such short supply I need suggestions on where to start. Thank you.

I just picked up my "new" rifle. It's a 7mm RM built on a trued 700 action, Bartlein fluted 3B 1:8 twist, Timney trigger, in a Brown Precision stock. I built it to shoot 160-175 grain bullets. With powder in such short supply I need suggestions on where to start. Thank you.
Vitivori N565 is worth a look.

Pick two or three powders you can find a reliable supply of. This may become more difficult depending on results of the upcoming elections. Powder and bullet manufacturers have lots of load data online. Start well below max and work up. Starting with quality brass would help a lot.. good luck.

I'd add IMR8133 to Lance's list. Currently in stock at Powder Valley. Haven't used a bunch of it, but velocity/pressure was better than Reloder 26 and H1000 in my 7RM with 175 ELDX, and accuracy was on par with both. Saving it for my 264WM though, as it's the slowest thing I have on hand right now.

RL22,25 and 26 covers that nicely, pick one.

I shoot the 160AB and the Berger 175EH in my 7RM. Ive tried nearly every powder suitable for bullets in that range and always come back to H1000, H4831SC and recently the IMR8133.
The IMR8133 and the Berger 175's shoot amazing with really low ES/SD in my rifle. All three I mentioned are designed to be temp stable and have proven to be so here in the wild temp swings of the mid-south.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.