Powder for 175-190gr 300WM loads

You may or may not give up a little velocity using H4831 or H4350 in comparison with other powders, but for accuracy in .300 Win. Magnum, these two are hard to beat. They're worth trying and they're not nearly as temperature sensitive as some of the others.
Well, at least I can try to find a node with H4350 til I land on some H4831 or H1000. My 6.5 savage loves the lighter mono Barnes — curious to find out if this 300wm likes them as well or the heavier Berger's. This will be mostly hunting rifle so I'm not too concerned for past 600-700 yards.

got my first press and above to start diving into reloading. I have found pretty good loads and have powder available for my .243 & 6.5CM but I'm on the search for "THE" powder for 175-190gr 300wm... I have H4350 I'm trying to trade that may work but what are the top 3 ideal powders for wide range temps? H4831 is what I'm looking at, Will H1000 work if I can get some or is that better suited for 200gr and up?
Try Reloder 22 and 25.- you should be able to come up with some reasonably accurate loads at full power with the 180's. The 190's seem to be a bit more variable as to which powder for which make of bullet, but the same two plus reloder 26 are probably reasonable to start with.

HINT: If you can find Fed 215 Match primers, they often give up a few FPS but improve the accuracy in the 300 WM.

One more thing - as discussed above, 4350 is also a pretty good go-to in this cartridge. - especially for someone new to reloading. Not going to give you the top-end velocities but certainly nothing to sneeze at, and accuracy is fairly easy to lock in with the 4350's and minimal testing. Many moons ago I was taught that it's probably the best powder to start with in a whole lot of cartridges from the 30-06 family on up, as it tends to be harder to screw up with while you are learning the tricks. I still like it for checking out a launcher that I have never loaded for before. There are some differences between the various 4350's - H, IMR and especially AA, so make sure you follow published load data carefully until you know what you are doing!

Oh BTW - 6.5 Creed - try 43.5 gr of IMR 4350 with a 143 ELD-X, standard Rem primer & Hornady brass. Let me know if you beat the accuracy!

Most disappointing thing about H4831sc is that it has NEVER come within cooee of the published velocities. The original H4831 surplus powder was far superior in velocity and accuracy. How this formula is different, I'm unsure, but it is NOT like the old powder.
Every single cartridge I have used it in has given me mediocre accuracy and fallen way short in the velocity department.
Any of the next slower powders work best in the 300WM anyway.
H4350 is excellent with 125-150gr pills, not the greatest for 165gr and heavier, but if that's all you got to work with...so be it.

Cheers.

I got my first press and above to start diving into reloading. I have found pretty good loads and have powder available for my .243 & 6.5CM but I'm on the search for "THE" powder for 175-190gr 300wm... I have H4350 I'm trying to trade that may work but what are the top 3 ideal powders for wide range temps? H4831 is what I'm looking at, Will H1000 work if I can get some or is that better suited for 200gr and up?
I tried 4350, RL 22, H1000 and H4831sc for bullets in that range and H4831sc was the go to powder ...in my Rem. 700 in 300 win mag...H1000 was #2

Well, at least I can try to find a node with H4350 til I land on some H4831 or H1000. My 6.5 savage loves the lighter mono Barnes — curious to find out if this 300wm likes them as well or the heavier Berger's. This will be mostly hunting rifle so I'm not too concerned for past 600-700 yards.
Barnes LRX and Berger 215 H/T were comparable in terms of accuracy in my rifle, but the LRX is more forgiving than the Berger if you have to take a shot that isn't ideal (e.g. broadside)....in my experience, at least.

175 LRX
H1000=2907 fps
RL 22=3150 fps

Both very accurate. For where I am, the temp difference in the RL 22 wouldn't matter more than the nut behind the trigger.

Reloader 23 has also been very good with the 181s.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.