Powder choice, bullet, and group size.

No I didn't. With the mag length limit I just set it to 2.800. I guess for info sake I need to see how far the jump is.
My .300 WSM also has a mag length limitation, but I wanted to shoot 215 Berger. As previously noted, I prefer around .020" off the lands. However, I ended up .080" off the lands to find the best compromise of velocity, accuracy, and mag limitation.

Last edited:
7-08. I've tried more powders in this cartridge then any other.
Varget, imr4064, H&imr 4895,
Rl- 15&16, Ramshot hunter, big game and tac, vv- 135,140,150. Just to name a few. Primers made a difference also.
I use to Hate this cartridge then I got a deal on one I couldn't pass up.
A Ca. Mesa and this gun shoot anything I load for it, thank God.
Ramshot Tac has been my favorite and Rl- 15 & 15.5. Wish you the best. đź‘Ť

@, aj427ci,..
RL-17 was, the Best Powder my son found for Accuracy ( Sub 3/4 MOA ) with, the 150 gr. ELD-X and that, was the Load Combo He used to Kill a Nice,
5 x 6 Bull Elk, here in Idaho about 3 - 4 years ago with, his Tikka 7mm-08. The Range was, 247 yards.
The Bullet went thru, the Bull's front Shoulder at an Angle, thru One Lung, into the Rear Ham ( Broke, the Femur Bone W/ 112 gr's of mushroomed, Bullet recovered ) He was about, a 1/2 grain Under Max from, one of, the Newest, Hornady Books ( IIRC ).
StaBall 65 was Fine with, 168 gr Bullets BUT,. NOT with, the 150's ! ( Works Awesome, in a 6.5 Creed w/ 130's to 143's )
RL-17 is, a Pretty Hot Powder, so work Up, carefully ! Good Luck !
He Sold his 7 mm-08 Dies, Starline Brass and Bullets etc., So We have, NO exact, Powder chg. Data, to give you ( Sorry )
He thinks, he was Using, 47.3 grains of RL -17 BUT,. you need to,. Verify / Work up,. CAREFULLY ( 2,765 FPS from 23'' bbl )

Last edited:
I have a question: what is the "mission" in your selection of bullets and powders? If you are looking for hunting, paper poking or steel clanging wouldn't stability, accuracy and dependability be more important than speed?
Yes of course.
My powder choice basis is just a starting point. I load develop from there.

Speed, at a good case fill as limited with SAAMI max pressure indicates burn efficiency to me.
And that reminds me of one other parameter I forgot to mention earlier - Muzzle Pressure.
With all else met, my muzzle pressure needs to be below 8Kpsi.
Another indicator of efficiency, and of right powder for barrel length.

If you can hit on MY basis for powder choice, you should be able to see a powder node near SAAMI max

7/08 Brux 9T, 26" standard SAAMI reamer, we are shooting the 150g eldx at 3000 fps with H380 in Lapua brass. We work up loads at 70* Max, then hunt in all cooler weather, never an issue.

H4350 did not give the results of H380, not even close.