Powder advise for a 280ai.

crazymonkey

Looking for some powder to try in my 280ai. With Alliant not releasing powder to the public for awhile it takes all the reloader powder off the list.

The rifle is a nanook action with a 26inch proof 1: 8.4 twist.
I'm planning on testing berger 168 ,berger 175,hornady 175 eldx and giving the barns 145 lrx another try with different powder. Being in Arizona it needs to be temp stable powder so I don't get spikes.
I've tested the lrx with staball6.5 and couldn't get it to group . My 7-08 loves the stuff.
So I've got a few pounds of powders already.
Staball6.5 r22 (not temp stable)
4831sc r15 and r17
Retumbo
I know r23 is supposed to be magic but it's not available.
H1000 is a possibility maybe n560 or n565?
The 168s will be here in a day or so then I'll be ready to load another round of test ammo.
As for brass I'm running peterson and I've got 210 215 for primers.

H4831sc is the easy button, if you are not chasing top speed. H4350 has worked well in 140 class pills for me. Agree on RL23 being the best, but it will be saved for the hunting loads only.
Don't really see a need for speed on this one. My 7-08 takes care of the speed and the 140 class bullets so I'd like this to push a 168 thru 175 with a possibility of a copper for California hunts with my dad.

Yeah, but Crazymonkey is in AZ like me...and RL26 doesn't do well with near max loads and 84*+. It gets squirrelly REAL fast when you hit 85* and up.
Yep I'm trying to get away from powder that's going to give me swings in pressure and velocity. I've recently went from r15 and 17 in my 7-08 to staball6.5 . Time will tell if it's more stable in temp . I've got around 150 or so down the pipe and it's picked up around 50 fps . I went with retumbo on my 300rum and I've been looking for h1000 for my 300wm 's to get away from r22 . The r22 is fast but gets swings to temp . I probably need to put a new barrel on 1 of the 300wm it's seen atlot of rounds . It still shoots good for a hunting rig but I'd like to shoot it more . It's one of my favorites and I haven't had it out in a few years trying to prolong the new barrel.