Possible new wildcat options from APS

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Morning everyone, hope you all have a great Thanksgiving day with Friends and Family and hopefully some hunting time as well!!

wanted to do an information poll and see what your guys opinion would be on some new APS wildcat options.

i am considering very seriously pulling the trigger on some new additions to my Stalker line up. I already have the 25 Stalker, 26 Stalker and 27 Stalker.

all based on the 300 norma Mag parent case, necked down and fireformed to my APS case design. These are extremely high performance wildcats and have performed well beyond my original design goals.

i am considering adding three more to the Stalker family, 28 Stalker, 30 Stalker and 34 Stalker. These would all be high performance options as well bit a step back from the 7mm Allen Mag, 300 Allen Xpress and 338 Allen Xpress Which at times make some a bit nervous with a bit shorter barrel life then what some are wanting, although, if used and cared for properly, even the mighty 7mm Allen Mag lasts a surprisingly long time.

Based off what i am seeing with my Lapua based wildcats, these three new ones should compare very similarly to each other. The 28 Stalker will likely be the most potent ballistically. The 30 Stalker will be very good ballistically, a little more authoritative terminally and have the advantage of being able to fire factory 300 norma mag ammunition. The 34 Stalker would have the longest barrel life, should be excellent. It would also be the best choice for heavier game and again, could also fire 338 norma mag factory ammo in a pinch if i decide to set it up that way and leave the neck/shoulder junction the same as the factory.

so opinions wanted, which would you most be interested in?

also, a project i started years back i am going to try to finish up this spring. My 36 Allen Xpress and 360 Allen Magnums. Have been sitting on these test barrels and reamers for a few years now with no time to get the development and testing done. Hope to do that this spring. The 36 Allen Xpress is based on the 338 lapua case, basically splitting the difference between my very popular 338 Allen Xpress and my heavy hitter, the 375 Allen Xpress. We are seeing enough new options in projectiles that i feel this would be a very viable option now.

the 360 Allen Magnum is based on the 408 CT parent case. Will be working with some bullet makers to get a good design to work in this very large case. Again the goal is to combine the best aspects of the 338 Allen Magnum and 375 Allen Magnum to get a better all around design. Should be a beast and hopefully released by summer 2024.

thanks guys, let me know your opinions on the new Stalker wildcats.

Feel like your take on something 6mm could be fun. Seems like powder and bullets have come a ways in the last 15 years.

Personally, I think there are plenty of options in 7mm and above that any more will basically just be a variation of another already out there.

I would REALLY like to see you do something in .223, 6mm, 270 etc...the smaller bores...maybe a short action based on a saum or even a standard long action on the 6.5 rpm case...🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

I think the 28 Stalker would be the most logical.
Not that the 30 & 34 wouldn't be good as well but there are already several variants of a 300 Norma Improved with reamer and die support. There are also some in the 338 but admittedly quite a bit less.

I have always wanted to build a .270 on the 28 Nosler case with the shoulder pushed half way between the 28 and the 270WSM, with an 8 twist. I think it would make a great long range deer rifle. Decent barrel life with a sharp shoulder and longer neck. Only reason I haven't is making brass would be a pain.

Kirby:

What did you see with regards to round count with your personal 7mm AM before the barrel needed replacing? I know you were on the high side of 1200 rounds when I shot it years ago and it was still under 1/2 moa.

You seem to have some concern for barrel life. Do you shoot coated bullets in nitrocarburized barrels? Are you using the Bartlein PH17-4 alloy barrels? Or the Walther German barrels with the same longer lasting alloy?

No naked bullets!

You seem to have some concern for barrel life. Do you shoot coated bullets in nitrocarburized barrels? Are you using the Bartlein PH17-4 alloy barrels? Or the Walther German barrels with the same longer lasting alloy?

No naked bullets!
Not a concern, just curious is all. It's a Lilja barrel.

For North American hunting, 7mm is a great caliber. Please share more info about your 28 Stalker.
It has not been released yet as i am also working on a new line of wildcats called the Prowlers. Testing going on on both. As of right now, the 28 Stalker would be identical to the smaller caliber Stalkers based on the 300 norma Magnum parent case, with my shoulder and case body design. Little less SCARY version of my hyper performance 7mm Allen Magnum.

I have always wanted to build a .270 on the 28 Nosler case with the shoulder pushed half way between the 28 and the 270WSM, with an 8 twist. I think it would make a great long range deer rifle. Decent barrel life with a sharp shoulder and longer neck. Only reason I haven't is making brass would be a pain.
7mm prc case is about exactly what you would be looking for