POF Rogue

wyosteve

I'm considering purchase of a POF Rogue to save some weight over my current AR-10. Researched and read a bunch of reviews that were not very encouraging. Does anyone have any recent experience with one, particularly in regard to accuracy and function. Most negative reviews cited failure to eject/feed and accuracy issues. Thanks in advance.

When I was the training sergeant in Teton County, WY, we created a team of search and rescue volunteers with deputies to go into the back country when a grizzly or other animal attacked someone. Weight was a consideration so I selected the POF Rogue as our platform. Some of our volunteers had never shot much, let alone an AR platform. We ran the Rogue rifles hard as everyone had to use and qualify with them. If you keep an AR clean and lubed properly, it will work for you. We didn't have any issues (other than operator error) with the Rogue rifles we got. POF is good to work with, should you encounter a problem.

That being said, our sniper team got Rogue rifles also. They didn't like the buttstock it came with and switched it out for something else. I think these rifles held about 1 to 1.5 MOA with GMM 168 gr. I think some on the team were not used to shooting an AR platform and the rifles were capable of better accuracy. I have a POF P308 that can shoot .5 MOA with 168 gr GMM.

All things considered, the Rogue was perfect for our bear team. They were very reliable. I would probably chose a different rifle for long range matches but all things considered the Rogue was a good performer.

Thanks for your insight jpd. I know often only the few bad get reported and not the good. My current AR 10 is a rack driver but weighs a lot to be busting brush for pigs. A local dealer has 1 in stock so think I'll take a look.

I went through the same process trying to replace my LMT AR-10 which was just too heavy to be interesting for me. I was looking very closely at the Rogue but read the same kinds of consistent negative review that you have. I ended up selecting the Ruger SFAR as a more affordable alternative. Seemed the Ruger had some teething issues out of the gate but by the time I got mine they were all worked out. Mine has been plenty reliable and quite accurate even with the cheap PMC X-TAC 147gr stuff.