Planning a 250 Savage Build - Savage 110 or AXIS II?

I was just about to post on almost the same thing (Except the cartridge). I have a Savage Axis .243 and a Remington 700 .243 that I never shoot, and I was going to ask if anyone ever re-barreled an Axis. Seems like I can... and a 250Savage! I have a lot of 300Savage brass laying around LOL. However, I was leaning towards 338 Federal or 358 Winchester.

I was just about to post on almost the same thing (Except the cartridge). I have a Savage Axis .243 and a Remington 700 .243 that I never shoot, and I was going to ask if anyone ever re-barreled an Axis. Seems like I can... and a 250Savage! I have a lot of 300Savage brass laying around LOL. However, I was leaning towards 338 Federal or 358 Winchester.
Do it! And post the build so we can all see how it goes.

I'm planning to build a budget 250 Savage rifle for a fun and shootable project with my young grandsons. I believe I have a barrel lined up from another LRH member. It's Shilen small ring in 250 Savage, 26" heavy varmint. Too heavy to be a practical hunter, but it would be great fun at the local range or hunting from a blind. It should also be a fairly simple project, I think. So now I'm looking at everything from the barrel back.

Action: 110 or Axis II? I can pick up a new/take-off Axis II action for $200 too $300, but would still need to buy various parts and pieces such as action bolts, barrel nut, magazine, scope mounts and rings, etc. I've been seeing 110 actions for the $400 and up range but would still have all the same parts and pieces to buy as with Axis II. I'm not sure the 110 gives me much advantage over the Axis II.

I'm looking around for used versions of these, but I could also buy a new gun to use for a donor. Right now, I can get a Savage Axis II in 22-250 on gunbroker for $285 with no CC fees, and Savage has a $75 rebate for that gun. So, I'd have a new action, barrel nut, action bolts, and possibly other useable stuff for cheap. And I'd have a take-off barrel and stock to keep or sell. There are also pretty good deals on new 110 models if I decide that's the action I want.

I'm inclined to buy the new Axis II donor rifle and have the bulk rifle's mechanicals solved. I guess I'm looking for feedback or suggestions on this project.
Savage Axis in 22-250 and have the barrel reamed to .257 diameter. Just sayin.

Nice. Did the rifle work out for your grandson? I loved the 250 Savage I grew up shooting, and a nephew still has the gun. But my son was never a fan, and has gravitated to the .243 and newer rounds.
The young man now likes it well and he also shoots it quite well got a 3x3 last year even with some pretty good buck fever and exitement

Have you given any thought to selling some 300 Savage brass ?

I made some 250 brass out of 308 brass and shot one in the grandsons rifle with a known load and the smoke came out of the action and after opening the bolt the primer fellout of the case because of a very enlarged primer pocket shot another and nothing wrong shot another and primer pocket problems ,looked at the brass and both problem cases were the ones I made out of 308 brass I assume the necks are too thick and are crimping the bullets when fit into the chamber, I should have measured to find out for sure but got in a hurry and just scrapped the converted 250 cases made out of 308. just thought I'd warn you on that one

I made some 250 brass out of 308 brass and shot one in the grandsons rifle with a known load and the smoke came out of the action and after opening the bolt the primer fellout of the case because of a very enlarged primer pocket shot another and nothing wrong shot another and primer pocket problems ,looked at the brass and both problem cases were the ones I made out of 308 brass I assume the necks are too thick and are crimping the bullets when fit into the chamber, I should have measured to find out for sure but got in a hurry and just scrapped the converted 250 cases made out of 308. just thought I'd warn you on that one
Thanks for the warning! I'm not a reloader yet. If the rifle build works out, I will have incentive to start. But there is still some 250 ammo out there if one is willing to pay for it. I could buy several boxes of factory ammo and keep the brass to speed that process.

Just get a savage 110 trail hunter as starting point
I just looked at the Savage web site and didn't see that one. But there are many factory options that would work. I'm still leaning toward the Axis II as the price difference is there, especially with the current rebate going on. I'm just not sure what advantage I would get with the 110 other than better parts availability.?.? But I'm building for a 100+ year old "dead" cartridge, so apparently, I'm not worried about practical stuff like parts availability.

Just get a savage 110 trail hunter as starting point
I just looked at the Savage web site and didn't see that one. But there are many factory options that would work. I'm still leaning toward the Axis II as the price difference is there, especially with the current rebate going on. I'm just not sure what advantage I would get with the 110 other than better parts availability.?.? But I'm building for a 100+ year old "dead" cartridge, so apparently, I'm not worried about practical stuff like parts availability.
1718100806231.png

(https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=58030)

I’d stay away from the axis personally it’s a throw away gun, if u use a better platform u get what u mentioned above but u also get quality so when u can’t find brass or get bored with the 250 u have a good platform to do something else if u dig around u can find those 110 trail hunters pretty cheap the 250sav it a fine cartridge I’ve shot several guns in that caliber I currently have a a ruger m77 and a custom made off a rem 700

I'd stay away from the axis personally it's a throw away gun, if u use a better platform u get what u mentioned above but u also get quality so when u can't find brass or get bored with the 250 u have a good platform to do something else if u dig around u can find those 110 trail hunters pretty cheap the 250sav it a fine cartridge I've shot several guns in that caliber I currently have a a ruger m77 and a custom made off a rem 700