Picatinny Rail, M-LOK, Lights, Lasers - Options, suggestions

FlyFishn1

All,

I am studying some options for my AR's for lights and have some questions.

The main handguards I am working with are M-LOK on the sides and bottom, Picatinny only on top. I believe my old one is 4 way Picatinny, I'll have to check it when I get a chance.

The light options I've seen are primarily Picatinny mounts.

So one question is on adapters - M-LOK to Picatinny.
A. Does it make sense to use an adapter? Or is there a reason to stick to a straight mount with no adapter?
B. Are there cheap adapters that work?

The other main question I have is there are some combination light/laser options out there. On first glance these don't appeal to me, nor does a laser in general. I've been the same way with pistols from the beginning - I don't see a laser being any benefit as trigger + hand control, breathing, etc all affect the shot. At closer range - the difference between shot placement of iron sights, red dot, scope, or laser is probably not going to matter. I'm just looking for a night option - and to that point that's where I see the lights being a requirement - I can see.

Am I gaining anything with a combination light/laser? And if so - how stable are the lasers - IE - can they be sighted in and retain their position reasonably?

depends on if you're planning on moving your expensive weapon-mounted light (WML) from one platform to the other. if so, then you best off slapping a short pic-rail section on the side of your MLOK rail, and buying a pic-rail adapter for your WML.

if your WML is going to be dedicated to your MLOK rail, then get a direct-MLOK mount for your WML.

Arisaka makes good WML mounts.

if you're mounting a laser to your rail, how rigid your rail is, will make a big difference, and can affect your laser zero. a cheap-assed light-weight rail resting on a bipod, or barricade, with rail-mounted laser, is not a good combo.