Pheasants Today!

My son and I took the dog and the shotguns for a walk this morning at the Cooke Canyon Hunt Club near Ellensburg Washington. We found six birds and brought down 5 of them! My son used his lightweight 28 gauge CZ double and steel 6's. I used the 1930's 12 gauge Remington 32 over & under with Bismuth 5's. John shot 4 of the birds, letting me take one. :)

Maverick the German Wirehaired Pointer hunted better than he ever has! I had him at the Cook Canyon Hunt Club for remedial training a while back, and it seems to have helped him a lot. His points were rock solid! Beautiful day for the hunt as well and we're all glad that we did this today:

Regards, Guy
Life is good… we had t put daisy down a few weeks ago

Attachments

• IMG_2256.jpeg
    IMG_2256.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 2
  • RenderedImage.jpeg
    RenderedImage.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 2
  • RenderedImage.jpeg
    RenderedImage.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 4
I'm an admitted selfish bird hunter. I like to hunt alone, or maybe 1 other guy, especially when we can work out our own small pieces of cover. That's my preferred method because I can't smell birds, and the dog can. I want to turn him loose and then just follow without worry of not staying in line or hunting over into another's "zone". We zig-zag through cover @ the dog's pace. Sometimes that means I've got to hustle a little, sometimes that means I've got to stand still and let him work things out before continuing. Also, I don't want to chit-chat while afield, nor do I want to really hear any talking including dog commands. My dogs have all been whistle-trained and other than telling them "Good Boy" upon a retrieve, I want SILENCE save for the rustling grass of doggie and I moving through cover.

Slamming doors, yacking, hollering dog commands, and birds flushing wild well beyond shotgun range are all very interrelated. And so, I've become a selfish bird hunter.