Peterson Brass Belted Mag Basic Unprimed Box of 50

Agate, jasper's, even petrified wood works.
Obsidian, dacite, is good.
However, I don't recommend starting out trying obsidian unless you want a trip to the hospital if it breaks wrong

Hey guys, ok out of the 10 prices of brass that Peterson gave me I was able to accomplish 5 fully formed pieces of beautiful brass. Yes there's a lot of steps and it's hard work to do. But the thing is it is possible to have high quality brass for the great 7 stw. Recently I got an epiphany and started thinking again. 🤔. I was able to aquire some 6.5-300 wby brass by Peterson. This was quite easier to form from. All I did was run it one pass in the mandrel die and load it with maltomeal and blue dot to fire form. The cool thing to do this you don't need a rifle primer so your not wasting primers. I have a bunch of large pistol primers that I don't use for anything so now they have a use lol. Below is a picture of finished 6.5-300 wby converted to 7 stw.

View attachment 479292

Next picture shows the basic belted mag next to the wby.

View attachment 479293

The basic is the one on the left.
Thanks for following along. The reason I started this project was to help guys get brass for their 7 stw. One of the greatest cartridges ever made in my opinion and it's sad the the big companies let it die off. Again this is my opinion so don't hog tie and quarter me. Just doing what I can to keep it alive.
Nice work. Def gave me the itch to try it and glad I did.

Not near my notes right now but I got 16 or 17x firings before I noticed a hairline split starting to form above the belt so I stopped. This was pushing the 183 SMK above 3100fps with h1000. Primer pocket was still tight. I couldn't believe it.

The 6.5x300 Wby is probably the way to go. Could also neck down 300 Wby. I ended up finding a 375 Wby die and that is the way to go in my opinion. It has much less body taper than the 375 H&H which reduces the amount the brass shrinks in length that first shot. My final process was 416 to 375 Wby, anneal, 8mm Rem, 7 STW, anneal, trim/chamfer/debur, load and shoot.

Anybody that wants to use the dies to make their own let me know.

Nice work. Def gave me the itch to try it and glad I did.

Not near my notes right now but I got 16 or 17x firings before I noticed a hairline split starting to form above the belt so I stopped. This was pushing the 183 SMK above 3100fps with h1000. Primer pocket was still tight. I couldn't believe it.

The 6.5x300 Wby is probably the way to go. Could also neck down 300 Wby. I ended up finding a 375 Wby die and that is the way to go in my opinion. It has much less body taper than the 375 H&H which reduces the amount the brass shrinks in length that first shot. My final process was 416 to 375 Wby, anneal, 8mm Rem, 7 STW, anneal, trim/chamfer/debur, load and shoot.

Anybody that wants to use the dies to make their own let me know.
Is this for the straight wall Peterson brass making them into 7STW?

When I looked at using the Peterson weatherby brass I remember it was shorter...0.020 comes to mind. I figured once it formed to stw specs it'd have a short neck. Are you guys seeing that? I got my Neil Jones die in for forming stw cases by just changing bushings...haven't gotten a chance to play with it yet.

I haven't gotten a chance yet to form the brass.
When I get the rifle home I will find out.
I looked through my odds and ends brass and found some 340 weatherby that I heard might work so I put it in the group too

When I looked at using the Peterson weatherby brass I remember it was shorter...0.020 comes to mind. I figured once it formed to stw specs it'd have a short neck. Are you guys seeing that? I got my Neil Jones die in for forming stw cases by just changing bushings...haven't gotten a chance to play with it yet.
Both the 6.5x300 and 300 Wby have a case length of 2.825. New brass will likely be shorter by how much is hard to say. By the time you fire form I'd say you're going to lose .010-.025 so the necks are going to be a little short

I've made 7STW from 416 REM, 375H&H and 300H&H, as well as the parent the Rem 8mm mag which was the standard before it was commercialized. The 416 is tricky, at least for me, several inserts into a 375 neck die, with plenty of lube, to keep the shoulder from collapsing, then into my 8mag die, then the 7STW fireform and ready to go. I think in the long run, the 375 are the easiest, One pass through the 8Mag FL die, then the 7STW neck siizing die, fireform and then ready to go.
Thiss was all with Norma brass, because /rem at the time was impossible to find. I have not tried any annealing yet, that is next.
The case length in the 416 case grows considerably and depending on your chamber length may require trimming. Mine did.
Enjoy!

Here's a pic of 416 to 7 in steps.

Attachments

• IMG_0492.png
    IMG_0492.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 34