Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.

Rhian,

Check out this pic from CE.

Count the petals and figure the distance into the punkin when they came off.

Then compare that to the depth of penetration on your elk neck shot.

Your shot and the punkin shot speak volumes I'm sure. I just don't have any idea of what the words in those volumes would be...:rolleyes: Other than dead elk and dead punkin.

Interesting.

PS: Had a long chat w/Dan of CE. Gonna settle on 352 Tactical offerings to tune up the big girl for VELR. gun) The tacticals are a box of Hornadys less costly than the MTH jobbies. Still pricey though. . .

I see no picture Roy! I think you may find them interesting in your 375 AM!

I didnt see it either but i checked their facebook page and found it.... I think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 88
Ya I don't do the Facebook! That is mean looking with the petal exits around the center, I think I'll try some of the Lazers next, maybe in my next 338, if I would have had the petals blow of in the hit my bull took they would have done some additional trauma that would have bleed the bull out fast had I shot a little low and just took the throat and arteries out.

oops, forgot the attachment. . . . . again

Reminds me of a letter I got from my mother. In it she said,

"I would have sent some money but forgot to put it in the envelope before I sealed it." :rolleyes:

Yep, that's my mom.......

And I always wanted to be like dad. :D

That's some pretty gnarly destruction on the pumpkin!

Keep in mind fellas, the Raptor is a vastly different bullet than the MTH. Completely different design.

Rhian, I keep wondering if the bullet would have taken a different tune had it been spinning faster. I have a slight hunch that more rotational velocity would have kept it in a straighter path which may have allowed it to open rather than bananna....

My finest SWAG powers at work of course :D

t

Does being "softer" affect engraving by rifling and traveling down the bore. As in longer bore life?

I think softer causes stripping easier in cup/core bullets when the twist is tight or velocity is high but I don't how critical it is with monos?.... rich

That's some pretty gnarly destruction on the pumpkin!

Keep in mind fellas, the Raptor is a vastly different bullet than the MTH. Completely different design.

Rhian, I keep wondering if the bullet would have taken a different tune had it been spinning faster. I have a slight hunch that more rotational velocity would have kept it in a straighter path which may have allowed it to open rather than bananna....

Hi outlaw! I think an 8 twist at 3188' should keep it on course if it were possible.......Rich

t

I'm not convinced that rotational velocity really has that great of an effect, I know some do but if my math is right that bullet would not quite do one rotation while it was in the bulls neck.

I hope I made it clear that it is complete speculation what condition the bullet was in when it exited, I firmly believe that with no bullet we can not say with any certainty what happened. All I have is a bullet path, it could have blown the nose of and the shank turned but I just can't tell.

Bottom line no bullet, dead elk and a very fun precision shot at long range, everybody happy, happy, happy!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts