Pennsylvania doe tags

We hunt 4A and we had a bunch of coyotes a few years back, now the locals got into hunting them and the coyote competitions so last year I had maybe one or two on camera a handful of times the entire season.

One thing we did notice is that last year even in early archery we had a ton of yearlings but very few big does around. We think the locals were killing them for food as one guy saw 12 yearlings in a group traveling on the opening day of archery. Assuming each doe has 2 fawns that's at least 6 does removed prior to the start of the season.

Our good old days are now as we are killing more deer and bigger bucks than ever before. For example this was the opening morning of rifle a couple years back.

View attachment 580287
nice

A couple pretty good bucks in this picture.
Looks like an old archery wound on the doe at the bottom of the picture?
That was one of our better buck years, we usually get at least one nice one and a couple smaller ones but that year we got more big ones.

For the doe I believe that is just congealed blood around the exit hole. The picture was taken just before 3pm and I believe that one was shot around first light so it had been laying for around 8 hours at that point probably with its back downhill on a steep slope till they got it out of the woods and drove it back to the house.

Where I hunt in 3B there are plenty of deer. However, a couple miles up the road (on top of a mountain in game lands) not so much. I think habitat is probably the limiting factor, and why some see a lot and some not so much.

Hard to manage hundreds of square miles of ground when some is mountain laurel and beech trees and some is soybeans and corn.

That's one thing that I like about the dmap tags, it offers a little bit more localized management. It's not perfect in my mind, but it's better than no extra management options.

I think habitat is probably the limiting factor
I definitely agree. Some may cringe at this but I think they need to do way more timber harvesting on state property. New growth offers excellent fawning habitat and many state properties have very old tree growth and little underneath for cover.

A couple pretty good bucks in this picture.
Looks like a old archery wound on the doe at the bottom of the picture?

Where I hunt in 3B there are plenty of deer. However, a couple miles up the road (on top of a mountain in game lands) not so much. I think habitat is probably the limiting factor, and why some see a lot and some not so much.

Hard to manage hundreds of square miles of ground when some is mountain laurel and beech trees and some is soybeans and corn.

That's one thing that I like about the dmap tags, it offers a little bit more localized management. It's not perfect in my mind, but it's better than no extra management options.
It hard to manage however I don't think there's a game land area that has enough deer in 4a or 2c. Thank God for posted land in pa that is the only reason we still have some deer. my area is loaded with game lands with corn and beans and there are very few deer on them there are some big old bucks there but not many deer. 4a and 2c are getting hammered by pa game commission because of cwd. CWD IS A JOKE LIKE COVID., YEAH, ITS OUT THERE BUT THE MISS MANAGEMENT OF THE DISEASE IS A WAY BIGGER PROBLEM THAN THE DISEASE...

I definitely agree. Some may cringe at this but I think they need to do way more timber harvesting on state property. New growth offers excellent fawning habitat and many state properties have very old tree growth and little underneath for cover.
I agree as we had parts of our lease timbered for the past few years with great results. In the beginning we were skeptical, but as the new growth started coming in we were pleasantly surprised. After a spring and summer of rain it grows fast and our numbers remain strong.

I agree as we had parts of our lease timbered for the past few years with great results. In the beginning we were skeptical, but as the new growth started coming in we were pleasantly surprised. After a spring and summer of rain it grows fast and our numbers remain strong.
We are in year 4 of part of our property getting clear cut, we bought the property in 2021 from a neighbor who had it cut it from 2019 into 2020. Add in some food plots that we added this year and it will be interesting to see what hangs around come fall.

We are in year 4 of part of our property getting clear cut, we bought the property in 2021 from a neighbor who had it cut it from 2019 into 2020. Add in some food plots that we added this year and it will be interesting to see what hangs around come fall.
Can’t imagine not having some good deer activity. Good luck and keep us posted.

Can’t imagine not having some good deer activity. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you and will do. One of the guys kicked up a grouse last year on the new property, first one we have seen since my dad saw a pair in 2017. Hopefully we get more so I can run my pup on them, about the only wild bird action she will probably get to see her in PA.

Just have to get rid of the porcupines as they seem to be attracted to the clear cut as well.

I renewed my senior license and add-ons around lunch time in less than 5 minutes. I did get stuck for a moment where the system was asking me to select a snow goose permit and the only options were to add it to my cart or go back. I did not purchase a doe tag as I do not hunt in the WMUs that went on sale today.

We hunt 4A and we had a bunch of coyotes a few years back, now the locals got into hunting them and the coyote competitions so last year I had maybe one or two on camera a handful of times the entire season.

One thing we did notice is that last year even in early archery we had a ton of yearlings but very few big does around. We think the locals were killing them for food as one guy saw 12 yearlings in a group traveling on the opening day of archery. Assuming each doe has 2 fawns that’s at least 6 does removed prior to the start of the season.

Our good old days are now as we are killing more deer and bigger bucks than ever before. For example this was the opening morning of rifle a couple years back.

View attachment 580287
That looks like potter county in the 60’s but they were all spikes then