PA. Votes NO

Working on loads last couple for 760, with imr 4350 and nose partion. Getting 1" at 100 yards on 54.5 -55.5. I though I had it it with 54.8. Then threw in some 55.5s I had, vertical string, all 3 touching.

I am using lead sled, testing loads, not me. Also using x10 on scope. But just wanted to beat a dead horse on people saying these are inaccurate guns.

Obviously the problem is them or, the load. I did install a timney trigger this winter, which helps.

Going to try some Hornady interlocks, hope they do well, 1/2 price, for punching paper.
I have been using 65 grs IMR 4350 since 1972 with 165 gr Sierra BT.Half inch groups at 100 yards.I have won a lot of bets with my 760 because they are not suppose to shoot like they do.I have a 35 whelen pump that shoots just as good

No, that's not the way I've seen it or heard it where I live sales would go up on guns and ammo. Young people would be more apt to go hunting with a cool rifle other than that old lever gun your great grandpa had, and to me there is nothing wrong with hunting with any rifle. But these young guys want something different, think back when you started hunting and be honest with yourself what kind of rifle did you want? The game commision is crying about loss of young hunters well guess what they just screwed up again. And yes, it would have increased the basic interest required to promote hunting.
If PGC wants more hunters period, not just young hunters, they have to have something in the state to hunt. The deer herd is at all time lows and the small game is very limited, with numerous predators waiting for what remains. They continue to introduce species that will continue to lower wildlife numbers. The bald eagle is nice to look at but worthless otherwise, they have been known to airlift fawns and in the west lambs, and also get many fish. The fishers they introduced are also hard on wildlife, they are known to go up into the trees at night and kill wild turkeys. Two years ago in October at 4:30 in the morning my wife woke me up and said that she heard turkeys yelping, I told her she was dreaming. Later in the morning I found a young hen that was still warm and half eaten, I believe this was the work of a fisher. The PGC continues to protect birds of prey, I have seen many times in the snow while hunting rabbits where a great horned owl killed a rabbit at night, you could see where its wings hit the snow. I no longer waste my time hunting small game. When I was young the PGC paid a $5 bounty on Great horned owls. All wildlife numbers need to be controlled, so there are never too many or too few. The PGC has done a terrible job managing wildlife as a whole. As far as auto loading rifles; they may be ok in the hands of experienced hunters with common sense ; but looking at the past, the people & houses that have been shot, I can only think of an increase in the number of incidents resulting from the semis being allowed. Now Sunday hunting, having already said that the deer numbers are at a staggering low level the last thing we need is another day to kill the remaining few. Then there are the private land owners that have already said that they would post their land if Sunday hunting was allowed. We should be taking days away, not adding days to the season. Too many days of season is one of the main reasons the deer and small game numbers are so low now! Wake up people. You have got to limit the kill not kill the limit. If deer numbers were what they should be by good deer management you wouldn't need as many or as long of deer seasons, and definitely not another day to further destroy the deer herd. And there are others who pay for public land and would like to take a Sunday walk without worrying about being shot. If Sunday hunting is ever approved it should be only on private property or PGC owned land. Be carful of the things you wish for. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Hmmmm. A quick check of PA deer numbers indicates your research is flawed. It is not decimated as you suggest, but quite the opposite. Sunday hunting allows people who work the opportunity to double the number of days they get in the field. Not just limiting it to Saturday. Houses being shot? Sounds like the population density is too high. Maybe shotgun hunting would be the way to go.

You have to live here to under stand whats going on. The PGC estimates all the deer population numbers. The hunters will tell you what is and isn't here, as I have been honest telling you. You must have a computer, look up Pennsylvania Outdoor News. It a paper that has the up to date news and views from hunters, you will soon see who is telling the truth. Like I said PGC estimates the deer population. And they don't tell you the number that is killed on private land compared to what is killed on public land. I worked for then for 25 years, and retired when they pretty much went to if its brown its down. I didn't want to be part of the extinction club. Believe what you want. people who don't live here have no Idea how bad it has become. Look up the paper that I told you about. It will help you understand where I'm coming from. One other thing I don't lie, I could tell you more but, you don't believe what I already told you. And its not just PA where people are getting accidently shot, it happens in about every state. There was an article In a paper I looked at a month or so ago, where one neighbor fellow shot and killed a neighbor lady out walking her dog, he shot from his house, he thought she was a deer. A semi in this idiots hands would have only put more holes in her. Again, Be carful what you wish for. Nuff said.

Hmmmm. A quick check of PA deer numbers indicates your research is flawed. It is not decimated as you suggest, but quite the opposite. Sunday hunting allows people who work the opportunity to double the number of days they get in the field. Not just limiting it to Saturday. Houses being shot? Sounds like the population density is too high. Maybe shotgun hunting would be the way to go.

I saw a couple hundred deer over the course of rifle season. Sure, some could have been duplicates, but when I'm looking at a herd of 30+ in front of me, and then see another gaggle of deer in the next field it's hard to remember individual characteristics of the vast majority. That's where I hunt at least, 2 counties away from where I live. And a few days ago I had about a dozen doe in my woods, plus the 2 buck and various doe that I saw the day before. There's a herd that I often watch in the fall and winter from my windows, and during the rut it's interesting to see the bigger buck follow the doe and start running off the smaller buck. We have a decent one here and I know that he survived another season, because I still see him sometimes at night when I take the trash out with my flashlight. So no, I've never seen a shortage of deer in SE PA. And it's really nice to see bigger and bigger buck. I remember the old days when people would blast spikes and tiny buck, and it was rare to see any worthwhile racks. But the thing about bigger buck is that they are smarter, and that's why many hunters don't see them and think they don't exist. Lots of guys never progress beyond that spike / forkhorn skill level, and unless they just get lucky by being at the right place at the right time when someone jumps a nice buck and pushes it to them, they'll just go home with their unused tag year after year.

Shotguns might be a consideration in some of the high density populated areas, But I certainly don't want to give up my rifle, with the probability of taking shots up to 600 yards where I hunt. And as far as semis, a person is as likely to miss with a semi as they are with a bolt gun. And the semi is no more likely to send some magic bullet that will hit all the houses and kill all the family pets than a HR single shot will. Maybe we should just ban the 6.5 Carcano round if that's the kind of nonsense we're worried about (lol). A conscientious person with a semi is far better than a clown with a lever action, or vice versa.

Sunday hunting I am indifferent to. I can see why some people want it, and I can't find fault with their argument.

Last edited:
You have to live here to under stand whats going on.

I am originally from Delaware and am familiar with the PA transplants who moved to my hunting communities and called the police at the first sound of shots during deer season. It's never been about the guns, it's been about wanting to control the area. My town was rural farm land. Now it's all HOAs and people who bitch about the farms they moved into the middle of. I've learned that some people can't be happy unless they can complain about crap and bring others down. I've stopped associating with those people on every level.

I saw a couple hundred deer over the course of rifle season. Sure, some could have been duplicates, but when I'm looking at a herd of 30+ in front of me, and then see another gaggle of deer in the next field it's hard to remember individual characteristics of the vast majority. That's where I hunt at least, 2 counties away from where I live. And a few days ago I had about a dozen doe in my woods, plus the 2 buck and various doe that I saw the day before. There's a herd that I often watch in the fall and winter from my windows, and during the rut it's interesting to see the bigger buck follow the doe and start running off the smaller buck. We have a decent one here and I know that he survived another season, because I still see him sometimes at night when I take the trash out with my flashlight. So no, I've never seen a shortage of deer in SE PA. And it's really nice to see bigger and bigger buck. I remember the old days when people would blast spikes and tiny buck, and it was rare to see any worthwhile racks. But the thing about bigger buck is that they are smarter, and that's why many hunters don't see them and think they don't exist. Lots of guys never progress beyond that spike / forkhorn skill level, and unless they just get lucky by being at the right place at the right time when someone jumps a nice buck and pushes it to them, they'll just go home with their unused tag year after year.

Shotguns might be a consideration in some of the high density populated areas, But I certainly don't want to give up my rifle, with the probability of taking shots up to 600 yards where I hunt. And as far as semis, a person is as likely to miss with a semi as they are with a bolt gun. And the semi is no more likely to send some magic bullet that will hit all the houses and kill all the family pets than a HR single shot will. Maybe we should just ban the 6.5 Carcano round if that's the kind of nonsense we're worried about (lol). A conscientious person with a semi is far better than a clown with a lever action, or vice versa.

Sunday hunting I am indifferent to. I can see why some people want it, and I can't find fault with their argument.
Their either private fields you saw that many deer in or next to private. Come to the public land in north central PA you wont see that, Guaranteed. You said you are from south east PA I have relations from Boothwyn PA., West Chester area and have hunted doves near the Brandywine river. Now you can tell the people the truth, that very little land is open to public hunting. They have about an unlimited number of doe tags available, but can't sell them due to the private property. The land owners don't want there land to become void of deer like public land is. You may be able to fool some of the people that don't hunt public land, that there are high numbers of deer through out the state, but that is a total lie, and anybody that says there are , are full of S$$T right up to there eyes. The Pittsburgh area has a lot of deer too, but again it is 99 percent private property. I am nearly 66 years old and know what the deer herd was like before multiple tags and longer seasons came into play. Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes, I have seen too much! You then talk about idiots with a 30-30, You really don't know what your talking about, you may think you do. But an idiot is an idiot no matter what gun he is carrying and it doesn't take an idiot to shoot someone or some ones house, just an excited hunter trying to kill a deer. With excitement or the pressure, that you have to kill a deer, can make many hunters do the wrong thing, This has been proven many times. In most cases where someone was shot for a deer or a turkey the person that did the shooting was sure that what they were shooting at was a deer or a turkey. I did not say positive, that's why it is stressed so hard that you positively identify your target " AND " beyond. Someone that is shooting at a running deer is concentrating on it, and is likely not to see every thing that a hunter would see looking at a standing deer. Now any gun used here is likely to have the same results, but the semi just puts the rounds out faster and could be the difference in reacting in time to a deadly situation. I remember when hunting in the southeast my cousin telling me that the land was mostly all private and there was a fox hunting club in the area, and they would just let the dogs run them and follow on horseback. This was back in the late 60s. Are you from that area and do they still have the big fox hunting clubs down there? Send some of those deer to the northcentral PA woods. Also look up and read the paper I spoke of in #75 Good luck hunting and be safe.,

Buck busta, Really! so now your saying that the PGC with the hunters safety course isn't working and we have a whole bunch of guys shooting each other and shooting women walking dogs and shooting houses. Really! Why have the hunter safety course then. And you like some others have wondered from what was originally posted. Well, let me be the first to tell ya, a semi auto or a lever action or a pump action can kill a deer. Point being,, like I said before the PGC listened to a few old hunters that didn't want change and that's why the semis got voted down. I for one would like to use a semi auto and if you're scared of a semi use your old 30/30 that has worked for you for years and years but don't get your undies in scrunch because I want to use something different that I have complete confidence in. Along the same lines Pa. had a Golden,,,,, Golden opportunity to further our 2nd Amen. rights and they fu&k&d it up. And I could go on and on but that's enough.

Don't put words in my mouth. Never said a bunch, you did! Safety courses cant teach someone common sense, or keep them from getting greedy, or over excited. These things have been proven to be part of the cause of many of the hunting accidents that have been reported. These findings have been noted by the National Wild Turkey foundation and the PGC. Rob Keck of the NWTF even did a video on turkey hunting safety, and one of the main causes of turkey hunting accidents was pure pressure. Hunters felt that if they didn't kill a turkey they would be looked down on by their peers; this causes pressure, and pressure causes in some cases poor judgement. This is all the I was saying, I even said that any gun can cause an accident. Your statements that are far from what I even said, definitely raises a brow, as to anything you say being the truth. I was under the impression that semis were going to be allowed to hunt certain things with in PA.

I've seen this on other message boards, and it's a shame the same problem has to exist on a hunting and shooting forum where many people should be of (relatively) like mind, or at least ideologically friendly to pro gun causes. But apparently even here there are trolls. When someone shoves their way into another person's thread and deliberately tries to derail conversations by responding to every single post, arguing and acting like a horse's rear end, that is hard core trolling.

On other sites you actually have paid posters who work for moveon, peta, etc. whose job is to troll and spoil. Here I think the motivation is intrinsic.

PA has plenty of people like that. When I bought a big tract of acreage out in Western PA, I had the same kind of guys show up and hunt my land after it was posted. When I'd confront them, they'd say things like "we've hunted here for 50 years, and you're not going to stop us". Then when I did stop them, they'd come back after I drove home, and they'd cut down my trees and poach deer. Because that's the mentality of stubborn know-it-alls who think they are special and are offended that newcomers don't give them the unquestioned awe and respect that they think they deserve.
Yup. People suck.
Gregg

Buck busta (but the semi just puts the rounds out faster and could be the difference in reacting in time to a deadly situation.)Your words, not mine and not true. You can dump fire a lever rifle or pump rifle just about as fast. I don't understand your hate towards the semi for hunting other than your afraid of them. Ya know I really don't know why I came back to this post.

Last edited:
Probably should just stop all the way around and let this thread go away. Nothing good is going to come out of this. Probably for the better so no one gets banned. Lock it up!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.