Our first coyotes, a double kill

goose

I took my son out to call coyotes today, it was his first trip to the deer stand. He turned 3 this summer and has always been interested in hearing coyotes. I'm very new to calling and have tried two or three times with no results. We have been watching the Randy Anderson calling videos on you tube over and over again, and tried some distress calling for a while and saw nothing. I then tried some howls and took the horn on and off to try to sound like two different coyotes challenging each other. I did it a few more times and then added some "stepped on the dogs foot" yipes at the end. Then we heard our first response, that got us wide eyed and alert.

We watched for a few more minutes and did some more calling, then we saw one approaching. It came into view partial behind a branch, but I was able to lean over enough for a shot. He was only about 20 yards away, and dropped. As I raised my head from the gun I saw another one in the distance about 100 some yards away trotting across a field. I gave a couple quick calls and it stopped, giving me a shot.

I fired and it disappeared, I wasn't sure what happened. Talk about excitement on our first hunt! We got out to investigate, and eventually found the second one, a bit farther than I thought at first. After much rejoicing, we gathered them up and my son wanted to call Mom and Grandpa to tell them all about it. They both must be young, because they seemed small, but what a great time.
DSC_1336.jpg

Thanks for sharing, that's pretty cool!

You sure have a great hunting buddy, and by now he's totally hooked! :D

That's awesome! My son is now my primary calling partner after he and I doubled on his first-ever stand. He was ten at the time and he's hooked big time. Nice thing is we can go all winter long. No drawing tags. If the weather is right, we go! RA does a good job of explaining his methods. Sounds like you learned well. Congrats!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.