First Coyote Called and Killed!

CB11WYO

Set out this winter to learn to call coyotes and finally got-er-did!

Went out yesterday morning to a spot where I'd seen and heard coyotes in my previous attempts but was never able to seal the deal (inexperience I guess). I picked a slightly new spot, facing southwest and set up my position. Mojo Critter decoy (maiden voyage), old Johnny Stewart "mega-phone and tape player" call (yes you may laugh, I do all the time.... but it was free :D), and the 20 BR.

As I was setting up before daylight some coyotes started to bark and howl to the west quite a ways away. So after I was settled I focused my calling in that direction. After 20 minutes or so of listening to a choir of "distressed baby cottontails" 2 coyotes were still barking at me from the west but not getting any closer. I turned to the left to check on my Mojo and noticed a shiny spot of fur angling towards me off to the south about 300 yds. ... oh heck yeah... coyote!

As I shifted to get onto him I think he spotted me and realizing that I wasn't a baby cottontail he began to trot away. I ranged him at 325 and still moving. I dialed 350 and waited for him to stop. He did, perfectly broadside, and I let the 55 gr berger fly! I heard a "pop" as he started spinning then trotted away, disappearing in taller brush. I gathered up and went down to where he had been, cut his track and there he was, laying dead 50 yds later! Man was I happy!

The old 55 grainer did a number on him, dunno how he made it the 50 yds but he did. I jerked the shot a little, hitting him back a few ribs from my POA. Elevation was perfect. Pin-hole entrance with a 3-4" exit hole... seriously, dang!

I've put in quite a few hours this winter tryin' to learn and it feels good to have something to show for my labors at last :)

Attachments

• IMG_20140106_084709.jpg
    IMG_20140106_084709.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 129
Nice! 350 yd shot for your first yote is awesome! Haha...wait until one sneaks up on you 20 yards from the caller and running right for your decoy. You will be shooting hoping it doesn't eat your decoy! Every aspect of coyote hunting is a rush.

That's awesome, CB11! You'll always remember that stand! And, go ahead and let your head swell, you deserve it. The coyotes will shrink it back down for you soon enough anyway! :rolleyes: Congrats!

I figured as much, darn it :D

:)

Any of the lead four buck loads will do you well for your close-in coyotes. I'm currently using Federal's V-shok Heavyweight Predator loads. They work really well but are pretty darned expensive. Dead Coyote loads in T-shot work well also but they are even more expensive. If you can get them facing you and before they get too jacked up on adrenaline, any of the four buck loads should work well. You may want to pattern them in your gun. My shotgun shoots about 16" high at 40 yards. lightbulb

Good job. I lived in Big Piney and Green River for 16 years. I tried coyote hunting but it was just too cold. The first time I went out it was -15 when I left the house. Got to my spot and then walked about 1/2 mile. About 15 minutes later I had one coming in. I was so cold I struggled to shoulder my rifle. It saw me and was gone. More power to you if you can fight the cold.

Thanks tt35! Will look into it.

newmexkid,
Man you said it! I'm in GR myself. Went out a few weeks ago and truck read -20 the whole way out to the stand. Had 2 come in hard to 500 yards and then hang up on me. Couldn't get on 'em. Man I was glad to get back to the truck! Brrrrrrrrr...

CB11WYO, I use Dead Coyote T-shot with good results out of my SX3. Its about the most expensive I have found but a dead coyote is worth more than $4.50 to me.

awesome. I remember the First Coyote I called in just south of Rawlins with my Yote Buster mouth call. It was a horrible set up. I was in my FRC work clothes trying to lie still on a somewhat open hill side, he came in from the side about 100 yards. 270WSM got him nice and dead though. That is one coyote I will never forget. Congrats!

Very good!!

Now, those coyotes that were barking to the west of you likely busted you. They were warning anybody and everybody about the danger you presented.

The first step in calling is your stand pick, and you need two things .... coyotes and a way to get into position "undetected" ........ it's impossible to be perfect on not being detected but you want to refine that skill.

A tip on what many do:

They will use a ridge line as cover and call the opposite side. Don't traverse the ridge ... cross it and just barely. Do not skyline yourself as you cross it. Park your vehicle so as to not trip you up either .... moving rigs are not the problem ......... parking ones are. Coyotes do have some weaknesses but not many. One is that they have a fairly short memory on things that don't seem to matter to them. What I am saying is that things they are used to ........ a rig driving by, a person walking without mal intent ... they brush those things off for the most part. But if you trip their trigger so to speak ....... they are OUT OF THERE! You think about that. If you encounter a coyote ........ don't stare at it ........... just keep driving by or walking on by and look elsewhere. Circle back or come call another day when things are on your terms.

Remember, they are a hunter ....... if it's one thing they recognize ......... it's another hunter! Act like you could care less about their being there and bumble your way around them. Eye contact and body language.

Most of the contacts coyotes encounter don't even see them ........ you want to paint yourself another "stupid" in their eyes!

Another thing folks do it to set the e-call in front and up wind and sit at the top of the ridge and watch for coyotes looping downwind to scent the area the call is coming from.

Another thing is birds.

The crows and ravens will bust you or you could decoy them/bait them to your advantage.

Best regards and Congrats on getting your teeth sunk into this sport!!

Three 44s

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.