Optic's for 300 win mag

pg637b

Just Acquired a brand new Savage high country in 300Win mag this is my first savage110 so I'm really up in the air here. question is what would be the optimum scope for this rifle shots will be 600 meters and under for now.
missing my American made Winchester m70's.
Patrick G.

Based on your post, I am going to assume you are somewhere outside of the USA. If that is the case, available options may not be the same.

I am having really good results from both Tract and Maven. For the Tract, I recommend the Toric UHD 2.5-15X44 Mil/Mil scope. I like the reticle, it tracks very well, and the locking elevation knob is super easy to use when in shooting position. My only complaint on that one is that the windage cap is very large and may impede smooth ejection. For the Maven the RS 1.2 is my recommendation. Solid and easy to use. Reticle is really good as well.

If looking for lightweight, Swarovski 4-12 with the BRH reticle. I have the 3-10 with it and it is about perfect for the woods and moderate range. I briefly had it on a 300 WM and a 300 RUM and it held up great to the recoil.

If you want to dial, price starts going up along with weight. NF NXS has always been good and realiability is top notch, but they are heavier.

If on a budget, maybe a Vortex viper HS
VHS-4319. 6-24 × 50 Deadhold BDC.
I have a couple of these, no issues. 👍

Midway has Vortex at 50% off.

Last edited:
A Nightforce ATACR 5x25x56 is what sits atop my 300WM. It's big and heavy. But #1, the 300WM is very capable beyond 600 meters. #2, just because you can twist it up to 25x, doesn't mean you have to, and most importantly for me - #3, I can't hit the target if I can't see it to begin with.

There seems to be a lot of nice scopes and I don't have any experience with a lot of them. One that I've had good luck with and I think would work for the distance you indicated it would be used for. Is the nightforce shv 3-10. Not horrible expensive and not extremely heavy and decent glass.. Good luck with your search.