Only 1 Rifle selection?

280 AI is probably the most reasonable or a fast twist 270 Win.

28 Nosler would give you a big case and high velocity. It is a factory ammo offering. The only problem is it is a low head height round and I think twists can be slow.

300 PRC is the easy button, but recoil will be harsh. Not too bad with a brake.

28 SM is a nice choice, great brass, easy to form, nice shape, mine shoots 169gr Hammers lights out. It is custom. It will be a build. Recoil is pretty mild with a little weight and a brake. Thee we biggest challenge is you will need to work out a load from almost nothing.

If you read the OPs opening post, you should understand he is building a custom so 1/2 your answers are gone. You can specify twist with a custom and the cartridge can be specified also.

I like the 284win on a medium or long action more than a 280ai on a long action. Ballistically identical, but you can set the long bullets out with the 284win.

Agree - just make sure you can find some brass first!

A ballistic twin of the 280AI (same case capacity) but on a short action.

Agree - just make sure you can find some brass first!

A ballistic twin of the 280AI (same case capacity) but on a short action.
Yup always get brass first. Then again whenever you can. I have plenty of 7 SAUM, but just picked up another 100 recently from Drifters Gear.
They will have more coming in a couple weeks.

Thanks everyone. Leaning to the 280AI
Howdy, neck down a 7PRC to 264 or you can call it a 6.5/7PRC. It looks like 4 to 500yds is your common range. You can shoot 85gr to 156, low recoil high performance, lot of fun. 👍 ADG, Peterson and lapua will have brass out by the time you have it built. Get bushings dies for a 7PRC, Easy Peasy. Have Fun Deciding.
I'm having one built as we speak. 👍

Have the itch for another rifle - probably my last one and looking for thoughts. Western style long range rifle for free range Texas Elk (have taken total 6-7 animals average 400 yards, Texas Aoudads - 400-yard, Free range Eland, and Gemsbok. Planning on a Mexico Sendero Mule Deer this fall. I reload for everything, so wildcats are not a problem. Would prefer not to fire-form brass due to time and expense of that process. Looking for something in the 280AI to 300 PRC calibers.
30-06